Search similar:

uniqs
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

2 edits

aguiar0016

[Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

Comcast is changing their blast and extreme 50 tiers in the northeast only. Blast is going to 50 download and extreme 50 goes to 105 download. Extreme 105 goes away and customers get a price decrease. No mention of upload speeds. This will happen within 90 days. Notification being sent out to customers.

Mod Note ... see also ---> »Your Speed is 50% Faster - Extreme 50

»When is the new speed upgrade suppose to take place?
m29a
join:2012-06-10

m29a

This seems very interesting. I can't wait. I wonder why they are doing this?
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz

Fios is increasing speeds, so they are doing the same.
netuser2010
join:2010-07-06

netuser2010 to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Where did you get this information? Why would Comcast only change the Blast and Extreme tiers in the northeast, then charge less for the Extreme tier? Seems weird.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
That's good news! Thanks for the update and keep us posted on any other upgrades.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to aguiar0016

MVM

to aguiar0016
said by aguiar0016:

extreme 50 goes to 105 download. Extreme 105 goes away

That it confusing as stated. If Extreme 50 is upgraded to 105, then 105 isn't going away. You wouldn't call 105 Extreme 50.
Expand your moderator at work

BooBooMagoo
@comcast.net

BooBooMagoo to Johkal

Anon

to Johkal

Re: [Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

I have a friend who has a friend...etc....

He said blast goes from 25 to 50, extreme 50 goes to 105, current 105 users will see a decrease in their bill.
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
What about those of us in the Midwest? FIOS is not available everywhere, so why does those in the Northeast, get it? Should only be available to those in FIOS areas, otherwise COMCAST, needs to just do it across the board.
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
wonder when this will happen for west virginia
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
If notifications are being sent out, please post one.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA

Cjaiceman to aguiar0016

MVM

to aguiar0016
Any chances there will be any changes on the business plans?

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Sounds like Comcast pissed themselves after Verizon revealed FiOS Quantum at 300Mbps. It makes sense it's only in the Northeast because that's where overlap markets are located for Comcast and FiOS.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

Hope this reaches the west coast sooner than later.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to Ultibeam

Premium Member

to Ultibeam
said by Ultibeam:

Sounds like Comcast pissed themselves after Verizon revealed FiOS Quantum at 300Mbps. It makes sense it's only in the Northeast because that's where overlap markets are located for Comcast and FiOS.

If this is true, I hope DC is included as it's a large overlapping market with FiOS and Comcast.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to obckilroy

Premium Member

to obckilroy
said by obckilroy:

wonder when this will happen for west virginia

Never? No competition at all since Frontier is the only other provider.
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016

Let me clarify:

These changes are for the Northeast Region of Comcast.
Extreme 105 is basically going away. extreme 50 is basically becoming extreme 105, so any current customer on extreme 105 will see a price decrease.

I can't tell you gave me this information.

notifications are being sent out just not yet, they are starting commercials saying new speeds coming.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by aguiar0016:

These changes are for the Northeast Region of Comcast.

Does your source work inside the region or outside? Eg. Could it be Northeast only because your source only is involved in that region. I would find it hard to believe that in other areas where Comcast and VZ FiOS compete that they would not implement these upgrades.
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016

He works in the Northeast region. Usually comcast doesn't launch speed increases nation wide because not all areas can get D3 speeds.

anon5324
@mich.net

anon5324 to aguiar0016

Anon

to aguiar0016
Cool news! Hopefully it will trickle it's way down to everyone else by early next year.

After this is rolled out it will be interesting what the next move for Comcast will be... If anyone wants to get on a 200mbps tier they are going to need a 8 x 4 modem. From what I'm reading you should have somewhere around 300mbps down / 100mbps up if you have 4 64qam carriers on the upstream. Given how tight they are on upload bandwidth I could see keeping it reserved and going to 25 on the upload.

So 200 / 25 sound good for the next tier they announce? :P

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Or better. One that does 32 channels: »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to aguiar0016

Premium Member

to aguiar0016
What about areas in the Northeast like Springfield, MA that cannot get FiOS but are upgraded to D3.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by IowaCowboy:

What about areas in the Northeast like Springfield, MA that cannot get FiOS but are upgraded to D3.

I'm assuming that won't matter. For example I can't get FIOS at my location, but it's available in the next town over from me. Both my town and that town are in the same local Comcast area. As such I get the benefits for any upgrades/specials that Comcast makes to compete with FIOS in the next town over even though I can't get FIOS.
relish
join:2009-07-21
Sterling Heights, MI

relish to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Nice thread! After reading the FIOS Quantum announcement, I scrambled to the forums hoping to find a post like this.

This gives Comcast 6 months to roll out to all DOCSIS 3.0 markets by the end of the year. Michigan was one of the last states to receive the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade, but now that the infrastructure is in place, I suspect the speed changes are only a matter of sending a config file update to their boxes. After all, I could get 100Mb right now if I wanted, so the capacity on their networks should be there. For those in other cities who waited FOREVER for DOCSIS 3.0, I don't think these speed changes will be as painful as a wait because the infrastructure is already there.

That's also an awesome article Chris 313. Just when I thought DOCSIS 3.0 hit its limits, they find a way to add more channels. I always loved the idea of fiber, but if cable can keep up, I think I can be content for a while. Just need to heighten those monthly caps...

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yes indeed. My area just got 16/2 a little over a year ago. Still no D3 goodies in sight until the end of the year or into 2013. So, speed upgrades/changes would be most welcome. If I went from 16/2 to 50/? it'd be worth the wait, but there's another thing. The 50 tier has been out for 5 years now and hasn't seen much upgrading. Wonder how long it'll take them to upgrade that to the new 75 speed that FiOS is rolling out now.

As for raising caps, see here: »Comcast to Raise Caps, Start Charging Overage Fees [215] comments

As for the 32 channel modem, I want one. Getting something and probably not having to upgrade for years suits me well equipment wise. Now, if I get that 50 speed rumored here, I'll have to upgrade my router. Anything past 32-35 and I'll top out. And I want every bit of speed I pay almost 60 for.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to aguiar0016

Premium Member

to aguiar0016
said by aguiar0016:

Comcast is changing their blast and extreme 50 tiers in the northeast only. Blast is going to 50 download and extreme 50 goes to 105 download. Extreme 105 goes away and customers get a price decrease. No mention of upload speeds. This will happen within 90 days. Notification being sent out to customers.

So does this mean the whole Philadelphia area will be getting these great speed upgrades too?
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
You should be able to get the speeds.

Anon2482
@comcast.net

Anon2482 to Ultibeam

Anon

to Ultibeam
No Comcast didnt piss themselves, Verizon pissed themselves when Comcast upped their speeds to 10Gbps. I assure you Verizon is playing follow the leader not vice versa, and still they are only offering up to 300Mbps as opposed to Comcasts 10Gbps, yes with a G.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by Anon2482 :

No Comcast didnt piss themselves, Verizon pissed themselves when Comcast upped their speeds to 10Gbps. I assure you Verizon is playing follow the leader not vice versa, and still they are only offering up to 300Mbps as opposed to Comcasts 10Gbps, yes with a G.

Comcast is incapable of providing speeds anywhere close to 10Gbps over cable. The fastest the D3 standard allows is 300 Mbps.

If you are talking about Comcast Enterprise service, you do realize that's done completely over fiber and isn't even really done by Comcast. They contract out to a 3rd party company for the fiber link and even that service doesn't offer a 10Gbps connection.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to Anon2482

to Anon2482
said by Anon2482 :

Where can you get 10Gbps at home? That's enterprise only service. This is Comcast's response to FiOS upgrades.