spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hclarkjr
join:2002-08-09
Hostetter, PA

hclarkjr to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016

Re: [Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

can not wait!!! hopefully it is real soon

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to aguiar0016

MVM

to aguiar0016
Makes sense to me since here in CT there really is a fairly narrow difference between the Performance (which I have) and Blast tiers.

Here is what I have with ShaperProbe:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 217.163.1.74.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3843 Kbps.
Downstream: 24736 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 5042-5107 KB;
Shaping rate: 2053 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 4790-5151 KB;
Shaping rate: 20197 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

Although the upstream capacity of Blast is decent, the downstream difference is hardly worth the cost differential from what I can see. Based on today's speeds it makes sense to increase the difference, and drop an unecessary tier, both simplifying and clarifying the tiers.

The reality is that they are in effect dropping the current Blast tier, but borrowing the name since having Blast 50 and Extreme 105 makes better sense name-wise from a marketing aspect.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Morac

to Morac
Correction: Comcast might contract for building out the fiber to a given location, but once that's done they own the network end-to-end. That said, you're looking at $30,000 or more for that connection per month.
jtavarez
join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ

jtavarez to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
As long as comcast has bandwith caps and overages it will never be competitive with FIOS-Who needs a quatrillion gigabit per second if you have to wait a month until cap resets

Anon2482
@comcast.net

Anon2482 to Morac

Anon

to Morac
I do understand all of that, I work for Comcast Enterprise Service and it is in fact done on our own Fiber network 70% of the time the other 30% of the time is due to serviceability of our footprint and utilize level 3 in these cases so we can provide service across the country, UP TO 10Gbps.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
This is going to cause alot of headaches in various departments within Comcast. Namely technical support and the headend managers pushing new configuration files to a boat load of modems. Looks like triple overtime pay

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

This is going to cause alot of headaches in various departments within Comcast. Namely technical support and the headend managers pushing new configuration files to a boat load of modems. Looks like triple overtime pay

How is this any different than any other speed increase? A few key strokes and the modems that are supposed to have it, will.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Because of the elimination of a higher speed tier configuration file, modems programmed with that file would go offline causing tech support calls and truck rolls which ideally would like to be avoided. After the IPv6 fiasco with the Netgear modems, all eyes are on everyone. In other speed increases, the configuration file isn't replaced, it's usually just modified.

Anyway it's going to require the extra work by rebooting and adjusting each affected account's modem individually.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

1 recommendation

Morac

said by Mike Wolf:

Because of the elimination of a higher speed tier configuration file, modems programmed with that file would go offline causing tech support calls and truck rolls which ideally would like to be avoided. After the IPv6 fiasco with the Netgear modems, all eyes are on everyone. In other speed increases, the configuration file isn't replaced, it's usually just modified.

Anyway it's going to require the extra work by rebooting and adjusting each affected account's modem individually.

I don't see why this need be complicated. There are a number of things Comcast could do:

1. Leave the original higher speed tier configuration file in place and simply adjust the speeds in the Blast and old 50 Mbps file.

2. Bump up the speeds in the Blast and 50 Mbps tiers. Then switch all 100 Mbps users to the new 100 Mbps configuration file and delete the old high speed tier configuration file.

3. Remove the low speed tier and simply change the configuration files for Blast and 50 Mbps users to the 50 Mbps and 100 Mbps configuration files.

My guess is that there are very few users on the 100 mbps tier compared to the current Blast and 50 Mbps tiers so #2 above would require the least amount of changes to users accounts. Well technically #1 would, but then there's duplicate configuration files.

Blast and 50 Mbps users will have to reboot their modems to get the new speeds anyway. 100 Mbps users won't have to reboot, but when they do in the future, they'll pull in the new 100 Mbps config file.

It shouldn't be any more complicated than any other speed boost. Switching current 100 Mbps users over to the new configuration file could be automated, but even if it could not, like I said I doubt there are that many 100 Mbps users.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

FWIW, these days, the config files in the modem actually point to the correct rate limits for the provisioned / subscribed to speeds on the CMTS config. Rates are controlled at and by the CMTS.

rootuser1725
@comcast.net

rootuser1725

Anon

comcast needs to upgrade speeds across the board again to keep up with fios

economy tier needs upgraded to no less than 10/1
16/2 needs to become 20/5
20/2 needs to become 30/5 or higher
50/10 needs to become 100/25
105/25 needs to become 200/50

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

1 edit

mustang50 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
I still haven't seen anything official from Comcast about upgrades.
It would be great if true, but with no sources or even a peep from anyone at Comcast........ehhhh.

And I'm sure Comcast can batch new bootfiles easily, it's not like they haven't upgraded before.......I recieved 2 new speeds within weeks after D3 was finally brought here..
..from 16/2 to 20/4 and 2 weeks later 25/4.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

I think I may be in the same camp as you. Seems suspect until an official announcement from Comcast.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

4 edits

gate1975mlm to jtavarez

Premium Member

to jtavarez
Just wanted to let you all know that I was just listening to local radio station 94WIP Sports Radio here in Philly and they just had a brand new Comcast commercial talking about the new speed upgrade coming very soon!

So it is indeed very true!

Here is someones speed test with the Extreme 50/10 Package that will soon become Blast! I wonder if we will also get the higher upload speeds aswell?

He is using a Arris TM702G Modem

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· PO4u9nIQ
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016

Nice to hear the commercials are starting.
THey don't actually mention the speeds themselves do they?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to aguiar0016

Premium Member

to aguiar0016
I've been noticing some changes in the shaperprobe results here. The download speed seems to have settled in around 15 to 16mbps, up from 8mbps of a few weeks ago.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313 to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
Could you or anyone else who see's the commercials/radio ads record them and post them here? I'd like to see the proof with my own eyes.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to aguiar0016

Premium Member

to aguiar0016
said by aguiar0016:

Nice to hear the commercials are starting.
THey don't actually mention the speeds themselves do they?

Yes I am pretty sure they did mention the speeds too.

I was in the shower at the time I heard it so I can't be 100% sure but yes I am pretty sure they said Blast becomes 50 and Extreme becomes 105
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

Could you or anyone else who see's the commercials/radio ads record them and post them here? I'd like to see the proof with my own eyes.

I will try to record the radio commercial for you.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by gate1975mlm:

said by Chris 313:

I will try to record it for you.

Thank you. I wish someone had all Comcast commercials on Youtube. I hear the Comcast Cali commercial for Blast, poking fun at AT&T's laughable 6 Meg service was pretty funny.

Dadkins had heard it and had a good laugh over it when he told me.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Dadkins was cool!

I have my microphone all set as soon as I hear the commercial I will start recording it

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Excellent! Considering my area only got 16/2 last year and no D3 upgrades yet. I wonder how long it'll take the 50 hotness I'll get, to get here. And what it'll be when it finally does? (Hoping for something like that 75/35 FiOS package they have)
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
said by gate1975mlm:

Just wanted to let you all know that I was just listening to local radio station 94WIP Sports Radio here in Philly and they just had a brand new Comcast commercial talking about the new speed upgrade coming very soon!

Here is someones speed test with the Extreme 50/10 Package that will soon become Blast! I wonder if we will also get the higher upload speeds aswell?

(youtube clip)

That's my video.

teddystacker
join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA

teddystacker to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
In Philly 19111 here , was watching Phillies baseball last night on CSN , at the end of one of the many Comcast promos was a short extra piece talking about the fact that "Comcast are doubling our speeds on the top two speed tiers soon" , but there was no mention of what the tiers were or what the speeds will be.It did make me look up from the PC and think WFT?

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

said by gate1975mlm:

(youtube clip)

That's my video.

Cool you are now famous lol
gate1975mlm

1 edit

1 recommendation

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Ok guys here is the radio commercial as heard on 94WIP Sports radio in Philly just a few minutes ago

You may need to turn the volume up a little

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by gate1975mlm:

Ok guys here is the radio commercial as heard on 94WIP Sports radio in Philly just a few minutes ago

uhhh. ...awesome!

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
Once I cranked up the sound, I heard the whole thing. I'd say that confirms everything. Can't wait to see what happens next
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Hopefully they deploy to their whole D3 footprint sooner rather than later. I like seeing AT&T get squeezed.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yeah, you and me both!

I walk in an AT&T store and ask them what is the top U-Verse speed, 24/3 was the answer. Sorry, not interested when I have 50-105+ at the touch of a button.

Guess when the upgrade pops I'll have a reason to finally upgrade my 5 year old router.