uniqs

winbatch
@comcast.net

1 edit

winbatch to aguiar0016

Anon

to aguiar0016

Westfield, NJ

Good news - reset my modem and got updated speeds. Was getting 35/5 and now get 50/10. I'm on Ultra.

Bad news - comcast support is REALLY clueless. online chat person told me that I'm actually supposed to be getting 25/4.

I'm in Westfield, NJ
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody

Re: [Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

Thats what I had heard too. I did not get upgraded speed until Ultra wa removed and bundle applied that included blast.

BTW I save a few $$ per month in the deal.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
When will the Pittsburgh region see these increases?
I noticed the other day my emta power cycled twice. Could this be the upgrade for blast to 50 down?
hclarkjr
join:2002-08-09
Hostetter, PA

1 edit

hclarkjr

Hostetter, PA

i am 30 miles from pittsburgh and got it
Graywolfi3
join:2009-01-30
Irwin, PA

1 edit

Graywolfi3 to mikedz4

to mikedz4

Irwin, PA

I'm 20 miles from Pittsburgh and have the increased speed.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 10670 Kbps.
Downstream: 53175 Kbps.

Is that 50mbps down or just powerboost?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 edit

jmn1207 to aguiar0016

Premium Member

to aguiar0016

Ashburn, VA

This has really helped my Slingbox a bunch. Thanks Comcast and Verizon (for the competition).

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

so comcast
wana put it in the west coast
FIOS is so close to me
only 7 hours away ;'(
california has to be so big

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

So Comcast, want to put it in the West Coast?
FIOS is so close to me, only 7 hours away ;'(
California has to be so big.

There is FTTH closer than that, Sonic Net has it in parts of Sonoma County, and SureWest has it in parts of Sacramento. You'll probably see FTTH and these new Speed Tiers sooner down there than we will up here in the Ukiah area in Mendocino County.

henryn
@comcast.net

henryn to aguiar0016

Anon

to aguiar0016
Not quite getting the speeds I expected... Using an ancient BEFCMU10 ver. 4.. Is it time for a SB6121?

Downstream Channel

Lock Status	 Operational
 Modulation	 256QAM
 Channel ID	 8
 Provisioned Rate	 55000 kbps
 Symbol Rate	 5360.537 Ksym/sec
 Downstream Power	 2.1 dBmV
 SNR	 37.5 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status	 Operational
 Modulation	 64QAM
 Channel ID	 11
 Provisioned Rate	 11000 kbps
 Symbol Rate	 5120 Ksym/sec
 Upstream Power	 39.2 dBmV

bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody

The Lynksys is not Docsis3.0 Compatible. ALLor almost all of Comcast is now DOCSIS3.0 enabled with multiple downstream Bonding to achieve the higher speeds.

See: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 10670 Kbps.
Downstream: 53175 Kbps.

Is that 50mbps down or just powerboost?

There is no more powerboost on the Blast Tier.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313 to henryn

Premium Member

to henryn
said by henryn :

Not quite getting the speeds I expected... Using an ancient BEFCMU10 ver. 4.. Is it time for a SB6121?
[att=1]

Downstream Channel

Lock Status	 Operational
 Modulation	 256QAM
 Channel ID	 8
 Provisioned Rate	 55000 kbps
 Symbol Rate	 5360.537 Ksym/sec
 Downstream Power	 2.1 dBmV
 SNR	 37.5 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status	 Operational
 Modulation	 64QAM
 Channel ID	 11
 Provisioned Rate	 11000 kbps
 Symbol Rate	 5120 Ksym/sec
 Upstream Power	 39.2 dBmV

Oh, yes. Your modem very old. Docsis 2 if memory serves. If you buy your own modems, I recommend this one:

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· le+modem

Many who have come here asking the same question have bought one with great results. Plus, it's 8x4 vs the 4X4 that you get with the Motorola SB6121. The Zoom modem I linked to is also not only better then the SB6121 specs wise, it's also cheaper.

henryn
@ppgecm.com

henryn

Anon

THanks, order a J revision, I guess I'll have to chug along at 34mbit for the time being

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by henryn :

THanks, order a J revision, I guess I'll have to chug along at 34mbit for the time being

Yes. 34 megs ain't bad, but getting the full 50/10 or better Blast! gives is better. Also, what router do you use? You might wanna think about upgrading that too, depending on what you already have.

henryn
@citicorp.com

henryn

Anon

My router is fine, got a D-Link DIR-655 (not the best but it works fine)

Thanks for your help.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by henryn :

My router is fine, got a D-Link DIR-655 (not the best but it works fine)

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Be sure to come back and post when you get the new modem, so we can drool. If you have any problems, come back as well. Good luck, my man.
skagary
join:2002-01-06
Newark, DE

skagary to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
I'm jealous of all you guys with the upgraded speeds. I've been rebooting daily, no luck at all. Then I checked and saw we were on performance, so I upgraded to blast. Absolutely no change in speed. 25/4 with performance, 25/4 with blast. I even had the modem re-provisioned a second time last night.

I'm in New Castle, Delaware. About 10-15 miles or so south of someone from Wilmington who posted they have the upgraded speeds.

(I am not in Newark as my userinfo suggests.. How do I fix that?)

Even my VZW 4G phone gets faster speeds, but really only in one town - I've gotten 33/9, which shocked me.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

1 edit

ExoticFish

I'm in the same boat. My LTE phone gets faster speeds then my blast connection at times, at home... Not so much the download speed but the upload is a good 8x faster.

It's a little sad when your cell phone's internet is faster than your cable connection.
posthaste
join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL

posthaste to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
I'm on Blast! and no upgrade here in Central Illinois. Not sure about Chicagoland...
sava700
join:2005-03-08
united state

sava700 to ExoticFish

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

I'm in the same boat. My LTE phone gets faster speeds then my blast connection at times, at home... Not so much the download speed but the upload is a good 8x faster.

It's a little sad when your cell phone's internet is faster than your cable connection.

agreed, I'm from the same area as you are and my 4G speed tests faster. Which brings me here, has anyone gotten those higher speeds yet? I'm looking to call them tomorrow as its been a week and see what the hold up is.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to posthaste

to posthaste
said by posthaste:

I'm on Blast! and no upgrade here in Central Illinois. Not sure about Chicagoland...

The upgrades are only for the northeastern markets right now. The rest of us get screwed.

Christopher
@comcast.net

Christopher

Anon

I just got the upgrade here, at least on the upload side. I currently have Blast and my download is still at 30mbps. Upload has doubled though to 10+ mbps. Modem (TM502G 3 in 1 Arris) has been powercycled. Any ideas?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Christopher :

I just got the upgrade here, at least on the upload side. I currently have Blast and my download is still at 30mbps. Upload has doubled though to 10+ mbps. Modem (TM502G 3 in 1 Arris) has been powercycled. Any ideas?

Perhaps get a DOCSIS 3 modem? You aren't going to get ~50mbps downstream with your current modem.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to Christopher

Premium Member

to Christopher
said by Christopher :

Agreed. You need to get in touch with Comcast and have your modem swapped out for a Docsis 3 modem. Go here: »Comcast Direct and talk to Comcast Steve, explain your situation, post your account info and contact info and he'll get you square.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

1 edit

ExoticFish to sava700

to sava700

Stuarts Draft, VA

said by sava700:

said by ExoticFish:

agreed, I'm from the same area as you are and my 4G speed tests faster. Which brings me here, has anyone gotten those higher speeds yet? I'm looking to call them tomorrow as its been a week and see what the hold up is.

For what it's worth Extreme 50 and 105 are in the system now for my area, although the area it's not D3 yet. Hoping that's a sign that it's to come soon.
crazycanuck1
join:2008-12-21
North York, ON

1 edit

crazycanuck1

North York, ON

I just re-ran the speed test using »speedtest.comcast.net/
and got a download/upload result of 59 Mbps/10.39Mbps.

The results from the comcast site are consistently better then other test results. Are they biased? can they be believed?

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

It seems like most people here agree that Shaper Probe is more accurate to measure speed than any of the speed test sites

»www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· obe.html

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to crazycanuck1

MVM

to crazycanuck1
said by crazycanuck1:

I just re-ran the speed test using »speedtest.comcast.net/
and got a download/upload result of 59 Mbps/10.39Mbps.

The results from the comcast site are consistently better then other test results. Are they biased? can they be believed?

I believe that when a Comcast customer uses the Comcast/Xfinity speedtest site, the servers they can select are all Comcast ones, so the data transfers stay within Comcast's network and don't experience any slowdowns that occur when interconnecting with servers in other ISP networks.

If I select the same Comcast server on the similar »www.speedtest.net site, I get basically the same result, but if I select a server that is located much closer but which belongs to another ISP, the results I get are usually not as good.
bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody

This raises an important issue:
What is the purpose of a speedtest?

I use it for consistency. Am I getting a consistent speed over time. Therefore, I have no problem using the Comcast one.

For what am I really getting (no Speedboost Impact). Then I use ShaperProbe.