join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts

Re: [Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

said by Moffetts:

If they plan on upgrading the 50/15 users to 105/20, then I guess the $250 fee to subscribe to the existing 105 tier was/is not actually necessary.

Not necessarily, there could be a retroactive $250 fee attached to your bill after the upgrade takes place.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Chris 313

to Chris 313
My bet is that the start the EOL process the next time Performance gets a speed upgrade (to 20/3 maybe?). Then again, as long as FiOS doesn't upgrade their low-end tier, Comcast probably doesn't need to upgrade theirs.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

I wonder how long it'll be before Comcast EOL's all D2 modems in favor of D3 or better equipment? I say 1 1/2 to 2 years.

It will probably depend on how soon Comcast's entire footprint is native IPv6 enabled, since it is mostly D3 modems that will be officially IPv6 certified by Comcast for the CMTS interface. And of course, it would also likely depend on Comcast completing D3 upgrades in all of their franchises (unless Comcast just decides to dump the remaining non D3 areas).

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

1 recommendation

Morac to EG

to EG
said by EG:

said by Morac:

I never saw speeds anywhere close to that with a D2 modem.

What speed tier were you actually subscribed to at the time ? Just because 38.1 Mbps capacity can be provided doesn't mean you will get that. The config file / rate caps for the provisioning will always govern.

I was on Blast (25/4). Actually I wasn't getting the 25 speeds reliably which is why I switched to a D3 modem.
taz291819
join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL

taz291819

I got 30Mbps speeds on a D2 modem when I had 25/4 service.

Now I'm on 50/10 (with a D3 modem), but alas, I'm in Alabama. Hopefully they'll give us the boost shortly.

scoopy03
join:2003-05-06

scoopy03 to dplantz

to dplantz
said by dplantz:

Fios is increasing speeds, so they are doing the same.

I love when this happens competition at its best :P
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

1 recommendation

ExoticFish

Wish Comcast had competition where I live. I'm still waiting for something faster then 16/2.
Sidar
join:2000-07-20
Saint Albans, VT

Sidar to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Been seeing the commercials advertising this here and basically just made me annoyed. Performance here got a speed upgrade from 6/1 to 8/2 last summer.. and that's been it. Now I see the two more expensive tiers getting boosted.

Kind of aggravating when I've seen people at the performance level in other regions getting 12/2 and 15/3 or what have you for years now.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

I'm in the same boat as you, my man. Performance is 8/2 and Blast is 16/2 since last year. I'm looking forward to the 50 upgrade Blast will be getting. By the time that hits areas like ours, I'd think Performance will be 20-25/5 since the higher tiers are 50/15 and 105/20.

Cross your fingers and see what happens, man.
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016

Upload speed for the new blast will be 10 Mbps .
netuser2010
join:2010-07-06

netuser2010 to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Click for full size
Comcast corporate clearly indicates the Richmond, VA is in the Northeast Division (see attachment); however, gar187er states, "the NE division stretched from Delmarva all the way up to New England." Can anyone confirm that Richmond, VA will get the speed tier upgrades?

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

Floppy

The NE division stretches from Maine down to and including Virginia and as far west as WV and may include eastern Ohio. Anything south of VA to the mid-west including Indiana, Illinois, Michigan is considered the Central division.
netuser2010

netuser2010

said by Floppy:

The NE division stretches from Maine down to and including Virginia and as far west as WV and may include eastern Ohio. Anything south of VA to the mid-west including Indiana, Illinois, Michigan is considered the Central division.

Thanks for the information. I personally have not see any confirmation that Richmond, VA will get the speed tier upgrades; however, it should since we are in the Northeast Division.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to scoopy03

to scoopy03
I just wish we had more of it
netnothing
join:2003-01-03
Derry, NH

netnothing to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
I'm in NH and just saw the TV commercial last night on FOX about the speed increases. Double the speed, no cost for the top two tiers.

Can't wait. Hope it comes soon.

-Kevin

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

If anyone catches the commercial on tv, send it to youtube and link us

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313 to aguiar0016

Premium Member

to aguiar0016
If that is to be believed, while that is great, that also sucks. We Blasters get screwed out of an extra 5 megs of upload cause we don't pay an extra 50 bucks for what Extreme 50 is right now? Why not just give us what Extreme 50 is now cap wise, 55/15 and call it a day, then at the end of the year crank it up to 75/15, or something similar to the 75/35 tier FiOS has?

Drives me up the wall.
netnothing
join:2003-01-03
Derry, NH

netnothing to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Just called Comcast to inquire....during the process I think I lost about 4 years of my life....man....talking to them is painful!

Anyway....seems billing is aware of the increase. She was able to confirm that Blast goes to 50 down. She however saw NO info on the upload increases. She transferred me to tech support.

Of course...tech support knows NOTHING about the increase. Their systems are showing NO information.

The billing women seemed to think that the speeds are increased as of 6/15.....but I'm not showing that here.

If anyone gets anymore info....please pass it along.

If I can recover....maybe I'll call back in in a little while

-Kevin

QuincyMarket
@ajg.com

QuincyMarket to aguiar0016

Anon

to aguiar0016
I am curious why they do not increase the speeds of business class at all. I figured it would be easier to do business class first and test the stress of the network and then follow with a residential deployment.

Have they even announced anything with regards to business class recently?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313 to netnothing

Premium Member

to netnothing
Talk to Direct, you'll have a much easier time: »Comcast Direct

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to QuincyMarket

to QuincyMarket
I think the reason why they don't do the business class first is because they don't want to screw up the productivity of businesses who rely heavily on the internet, in case something goes wrong. Testing things out with residential customers first will allow them to fix any problems that arise without causing businesses to lose a boat load of money because of an outage. Being a lab rat is a two way street, can either go well or horribly horribly wrong.

Chip Chipper
@comcast.net

Chip Chipper to netuser2010

Anon

to netuser2010
90% of Virginia is part of the North East division. There is one Corp (i forget which one) that is part of central. It's right along the boarder with Tennese.

A corp is the first few digits of your account number for those who don't work for Comcast
netuser2010

netuser2010

So that implies Richmond, VA will get the speed tier upgrades?
hhahn
join:2011-06-25
Marlton, NJ

1 recommendation

hhahn to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I think the reason why they don't do the business class first is because they don't want to screw up the productivity of businesses who rely heavily on the internet, in case something goes wrong. Testing things out with residential customers first will allow them to fix any problems that arise without causing businesses to lose a boat load of money because of an outage. Being a lab rat is a two way street, can either go well or horribly horribly wrong.

I don't see why they would need to "test" on residential customers. The IPv6 issue was totally different, since it was a software issue that had to do with the compatibility with a completely new and different protocol. With this, we're talking about a simple change of provisioning numbers to achieve speeds already being provided by higher tiers. It's not like they would need to push a new software update or add more channels. Perhaps they are just concerned about network capacity? Then again, since Business Class is on the same shared network as Residential service, I don't see how that would matter. If Residential customers are suffering from degraded speeds on their bumped up plans due to capacity issues, Business Class users would also suffer, but even more.
phudson126
join:2012-06-12
Brooklyn, NY

phudson126 to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Is there any specific reason behind these changes? Buyers would have preferred a particular speed and cost and when that changes in their plans, its really hurting.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to hhahn

to hhahn
I dunno dude I'm just giving you a possible explaination and maybe the mindset as to what is going on.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to netuser2010

to netuser2010
yes it implies that. you are part of delmarva.
netuser2010

netuser2010

said by gar187er:

yes it implies that. you are part of delmarva.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I am looking forward to the speed upgrade.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
A customer asked me if they can opt out of the speed increase on their Blast package. Another customer asked what happens to their current 105 plan and what will it be named.
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

1 recommendation

aguiar0016

If they don't want the speed increase they can change the package their in (assuming it's not a triple play bundle that automatically gives them blast). Or if they have a D2 modem they won't see 50Mbps.

the current 105 i believe keeps the same name but the monthly price drops to what 50 currently is.