Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bfollowell3

join:2009-12-11
Evansville, IN
reply to OSUGoose

Re: [CATV] Evansville structured wiring question

OK, I guess I'm having trouble understanding what the difference between what I'm suggesting and what you're suggesting is. I want to run the wires back to my panel where I'll have my high quality splitters and, if needed, amps. You say no, this will cause no end of trouble. Then you suggest I run all 12 or 15 or however many lines I have back to the cable box and let the cable company use their splitters and amps instead. Other than them using what in my past experience has been really cheap, low-quality splitters and amps, rather than me using mine, what is the difference in who splits & amplifies and why would it make a difference?!

I'm not trying to be difficult but what you're suggesting makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm very likely missing the boat somewhere so someone please help me understand the logic of this reply.

Thanks.

- Byron

news

@videotron.ca
You tell us you want to use a 20 or 30 dB amplifier for each feed coming from the cable box to feed your tv's. Do you know, the distribution amplifier from the cable company feeding your entire street has an output of about 36 or 38 dBmv on channel 3 and about 45 or 48 dBmV for the higher channels.

If your signal at the input of your 20 dB amplifier is 5 dB on channel 3, you will have 25 dB, it's very high to feed a 4-way or 8-way splitter. You are not feeding a street.

The best thing to do, is to bring all the cables to one location and let the cable guy installing what he need to install. All the splitters, amplifiers installed by cable companies are SCTE certified and are build by the same manufacturers building distribution amplifiers, line splitters, connectors for the cable networks.

You asked to give you advices, it is what we do...

news

@videotron.ca
reply to bfollowell3
By the way, Monster Cable don't build Line splitters, couplers or cable taps for cable netwoks, Regal Technologies, Antronix do and they are much less expensive than Monster Cable.

»www.antronix.net/

»www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/regal.asp

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to bfollowell3
You want as little as "splices" in the line between the cable box and the main input. Bear in mind every wall jack is just a fancy barrel connector so you will get a lil signal loss from that. Insight recommends that from the cable box it goes to the wall outlet, from that a straight run to their splitter that has the main incoming signal being distributed. Having one line running to the second floor while sounds great, is actually going to cause problems. as whatever splitter get used in the craw space in the attic if it goes bad will cause problems for every line hooked up to it. And the line about Insight using low quality splitters or amps, is wrong. Don't believe the Radio shack or Monster et al hype, what the cable company uses has been tested for their system. Lately they have been using Regal or Commscope splitters and Emerson Network Power Amps.

bfollowell3

Evansville, IN
reply to news
said by news :

You asked to give you advices, it is what we do...

You're right, I did, and I do appreciate it. I just want it to make sense to me too. I'm trying to learn a little something too, so that I don't wind up making too many mistakes.

bfollowell3

Evansville, IN
reply to OSUGoose
OK, I guess that makes sense. I still don't see why I would have that many more splices than the if the cable guys do it. If nothing else, I certainly understand it from the point of troubleshooting down the road if problems were to arise.

As far as my experience with cable companies using low-quality splitters or amps, keep in mind that I did mention it's been over four years since I had any experience with "wired" cable/Internet. I'm sure a lot's in changed in the four years I've been living in the technological sticks.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice. It's definitely been helpful.