John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to EGeezer

Re: Security cameras, networking, DVRs

Night vision is good to about 45 feet with the internal IR LEDS, but that can be supplemented with outboard IR illuminators if necessary.

I will look in the manual on Sat and see what it says to answer your question.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
How do you power it if it's outside? I think I might buy that.

Will the IR/any other fancy feature still work behind a window? I can always put it on my enclosed porch which has an outlet.

I know my motion detector lights don't work behind a window.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

1 edit
12 volts. You could use a POE splitter rather than 2 cables.

If it is behind a window, then have aux IR illuminators outside rather than the internal ones.

I'll turn on the IR now for the overnight...

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
Not really sure what that is. Also, with the IR, does it turn on automatically or is it something I have to manually do?

I'm more concerned with night time activities.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
POE splitter...

»www.amazon.com/Passive-POE-Y-Spl···04FVOIDK

The internal IR can be on, off or automatic.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
What else is needed? Wouldn't I have to move to a POE setup?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to EGeezer

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to EGeezer
I noticed that someone posted that the POE source has to be within 25 feet of the camera. Is that true? I'm thinking of a more remote operation, where the camera would be a couple of hundred feet from the house and I'd want to send it power across that distance. Is that possible?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
said by garys_2k:

I noticed that someone posted that the POE source has to be within 25 feet of the camera. Is that true? I'm thinking of a more remote operation, where the camera would be a couple of hundred feet from the house and I'd want to send it power across that distance. Is that possible?

The cable I made was 25 feet...it can be longer if necessary. The problem is not insoluble.
--

“Right is right, even if everyone is against it; and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it” - William Penn

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to John Galt
If it's 12 volts, I could use a storage battery on a trickle charger to power it. That way, it the power goes off, it could still send images to my system and modem which is on a UPS. The time would be limited by Battery/UPS capacity, but could still function long enough to capture some images.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to EGeezer

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to EGeezer
Found another one of a residential setting:

»sharxdemo.servehttp.com:8150/en/mjpgmain.asp

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to EGeezer
We got a Lorex setup last week, and the DVR died on Thursday (clicking, blinking red light inside). I'm sure we can get a replacement, but how do I trust the security to a new DVR when the previous one lasted 4 days?

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
DVR's use hard drives. Its totally within the realm of possibilities for a new drive to go AWOL. Cooling issues, surges, brownouts, manufacturing defect, or a stray cosmic ray, can all contribute to drive failure. Probably wouldn't happen twice, but YMMV.

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to talz13
you do it by switching to a modern system where the cameras all record to SD card (which is solid state) and then upload to a remote DVR after they finish writing to the SD card.
most modern cameras e.g. axis, trendnet etc all have this capability as standard.
look for : PoE capability, variable shutter (night mode), SD card support. The good ones will not have IR LEDs (which are useless anyway). instead you put a IR light (or any light with an off the shelf IR filter set (blue/red) you buy from any art store) which is bright enough to illuminate the area properly and put it on a motion sensor.
thats the right way to do it. the old model of one easily broken DVR per location is silly.

cmaengdewd

@cox.net
said by fluffybunny :

you do it by switching to a modern system where the cameras all record to SD card (which is solid state) and then upload to a remote DVR after they finish writing to the SD card.
most modern cameras e.g. axis, trendnet etc all have this capability as standard.
look for : PoE capability, variable shutter (night mode), SD card support. The good ones will not have IR LEDs (which are useless anyway). instead you put a IR light (or any light with an off the shelf IR filter set (blue/red) you buy from any art store) which is bright enough to illuminate the area properly and put it on a motion sensor.
thats the right way to do it. the old model of one easily broken DVR per location is silly.

Actually my Trendnet with built in IR LEDs work pretty awesome in no light.
Expand your moderator at work