spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell

[Speed Problem] Upgraded to 6.0 and having stalls

I recently upgraded to 6.0 from 3.0 and I'm having page stalls and just all around poor performance..Speed Tests all show great speed but page loads seem to 'timeout' or just stall.

I have 3 computers that have not had any problems untill this upgrade.

Modem is a Versalink C90-327W30-06 all computer are WinXP Pro SP3

I've noticed that any page with a map or a video is really slow to render if at all(stalls)

Any one having the same or a resolution I would REALLY need your help.

Thanks, Lloyd
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

go back to 3.0

your line may not be able to sustain 6.0 speeds

what does the stats show?

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Dumb Question? How to pull stats?
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to mitchell

to mitchell
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I check modem stats & event logs? What do the numbers mean?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID.

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

From inside the house.

Line State Up

Modulation G.DMT Mode

Data Path Fast

Transceiver Information

DSL Sync Rate (Kbits/Sec)
Down Stream Path/Up Stream Path
8128/512

SN Margin (db)
11.0/14.0

Line Attenuation (db)
14.0/ 6.5

CRC Errors
55/10

I will check from the NID tomorrow....during daylight..its dark here now.(smile)

Thanks
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to mitchell

to mitchell
is your modem connected to a wall outlet that has a dsl splitter?

also, get pics of how your NID looks inside and post it here along with the stats...

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Will do..

The NID is new from ATT about a month ago...Pics coming at 5pm...

The DSL splitter (about 5 yrs old) is on the main line into the comms closet.

And there is only one POTS line from it to a cordless phone for landline usage.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to mitchell

Premium Member

to mitchell
From experience I can tell you ATT will provision marginal lines for 6.0.

I was on that distance edge....technically capable... but not really.

Never got better than about 4.2mbs and not real stable, just went back to 3.0 and its been rock solid since as it was before.

Nice side effect though is that for some reason they sent me another modem when I did that upgrade, so now I have a spare.
w4ncr8
join:2000-10-27

w4ncr8

It's not worth having it 6.0 the best that I got 4.8 when it was BellSouth the best that I got was 6.50mpbs you can see AT&T slowed it down big time !

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Thanks I'm working away from home the last two days so I could not get the pics and stats from the NID yet. I was just thinking I should just downgrade (upgrade?) back to 3.0 'cause it was stable for years...

Lloyd
treyatl2006
join:2012-01-26
Atlanta, GA

treyatl2006

Based off your stats, you should be able to maintain stable 6.0 speeds unless your noise or SN Margin randomly drops below 11 during usage. Have you tried a different modem?

mitchell
Darlington, SC

2 edits

mitchell

Checked my stats this morning and the SN was 12.5
AND pages are very slow rendering ....I dont have another modem to try...

DSL Sync Rate (Kbits/Sec) 8128/512
SN Margin (db) 13.0/13.0
Line Attenuation (db) 14.0/6.5
CRC Errors 2/15
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by mitchell:

Checked my stats this morning and the SN was 12.5
AND pages are very slow rendering ....I dont have another modem to try...

DSL Sync Rate (Kbits/Sec) 8128/512
SN Margin (db) 13.0/13.0
Line Attenuation (db) 14.0/6.5
CRC Errors 2/15

you need to check your NID if you have a dsl splitter inside...take pics and post here if you don't know what we're talking about. same with the comms closet you're talking about.

overall, I think you need to go back to 3.0 where you signal was stable and so speeds were stable as well...

your stats are marginal since it's like stretching the signals just to reach 6.0 but sacrificing stability.

and no, another modem will not help since the signals are coming in from att and the modem is just reading it.

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Checked connections in NID, Changed the DSL Filter to new one and same S/N Margin and Line Attenuation...I think I'm heading back to 3.0 where it was stable as you all have suggested.. Good exercise but no go for me.

Thanks Guys..once again you are the best. It does help to bounce this stuff off folks that know and WANT to help.

LLoyd
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer

said by mitchell:

Checked connections in NID, Changed the DSL Filter to new one and same S/N Margin and Line Attenuation...I think I'm heading back to 3.0 where it was stable as you all have suggested.. Good exercise but no go for me.

Thanks Guys..once again you are the best. It does help to bounce this stuff off folks that know and WANT to help.

LLoyd

what I was looking for was that if you have a dsl splitter inside your NID...just like the pic below...

see that red wire sticking out of that connector...that's the dsl splitter itself...

if you do have that, there should be no need for a splitter inside granting it is wired correctly. this will help greatly in dsl signals go inside the house as a separate wire from the voice pair.

mitchell
Darlington, SC

1 edit

mitchell

No sir,,,it is not installed I'll send a picture this afternoon IF I get home before dark..

LLoyd
..hmmmm I could run a seperate run from the NID having the DSL on its own line with no filter and the POTS side on the filter......didnt think of that....hmmmmmm (weekend task)

....Dang it.!!!! You've got me holding off on pulling the trigger on 3.0 now (I really like the 6.0 speed over 3.0)

Question: Would using another pair inside the existing cat5 from the NID be acceptable or you recommend a completely different cable for the home run with DSL.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by mitchell:

No sir,,,it is not installed I'll send a picture this afternoon IF I get home before dark..

LLoyd
..hmmmm I could run a seperate run from the NID having the DSL on its own line with no filter and the POTS side on the filter......didnt think of that....hmmmmmm (weekend task)

....Dang it.!!!! You've got me holding off on pulling the trigger on 3.0 now (I really like the 6.0 speed over 3.0)

Question: Would using another pair inside the existing cat5 from the NID be acceptable or you recommend a completely different cable for the home run with DSL.

the dsl splitter should be inside the NID as the splitter will "split" the dsl signal from the voice signal coming from ATT.

from the splitter, using cat5e, get a pair of wires [orange/orange white] for dsl to where the modem will connect [see my pic above again showing my dsl pair and voice pair inside cat5e going inside my house].

pic below shows where that dsl pair ends up and where I connect my modem directly....

your stats is going to support a stable 6.0 even with that splitter.

what it does is only to clean the dsl signals so as not to interfere with your voice line.

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Click for full size
NID inside view
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by mitchell:

NID inside view

I believe that's a dsl splitter...

»catalog2.corning.com/Cor ··· id=23481

»catalog2.corning.com/Cor ··· -332.pdf

page 5 of that pdf shows how it is wired...and if I am reading and understanding it right, the dsl wire pair should be at the right most orange latch.

from there on, you can use the same wire pair going inside, maybe terminate it to a phone junction box like mine and connect your dsl modem there directly.

you mentioned something about a dsl splitter also...
said by mitchell:

The DSL splitter (about 5 yrs old) is on the main line into the comms closet.

can you post a pic of that?

anyway, if you wire it up properly like I said coming from the NID, you wouldn't need anymore splitters inside.

but still, your stats are indicative that 6.0 will be a no go for you. go back to 3.0 and properly wire your stuff, results will be a stable internet connection. granting ATT doesn't mess it up.....

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

said by medbuyer:

page 5 of that pdf shows how it is wired...and if I am reading and understanding it right, the dsl wire pair should be at the right most orange latch.

I will check for any markings today, I did see the instructions mention DSL being on a purple or pink latch these are all orange...

I may wire it up with another pair for DSL to the modem and leave the voice on the first pair.

Lloyd
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

2 edits

medbuyer

said by mitchell:

said by medbuyer:

I will check for any markings today, I did see the instructions mention DSL being on a purple or pink latch these are all orange...

I may wire it up with another pair for DSL to the modem and leave the voice on the first pair.

Lloyd

open it up and see if there's anything inserted to the right most orange latch which should be the dsl part of that splitter. that splitter maybe an older type / model indicating the lack of purple or pink latch but how it is wired should still be the same.

if there's one, good, use that wire pair going inside.

if none, then call ATT and tell them to wire it up properly. you may need them to identify the dsl pair coming from their lines, going to your NID and wire it up correctly on that splitter.

I saw this while googling....

»i301.photobucket.com/alb ··· id-1.png

and this is more like yours...

»status.servernorth.net/? ··· emid=219

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Yes the video is very close to what I'm doing except I have the line from the DMARC 30" to the wiring closet. Direct into the DSL filter and then out to voice telephone (cordless) and the DSL line into the Versalink DSL modem w/wifi...

Thanks Asjamias, you've been very helpful.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by mitchell:

Yes the video is very close to what I'm doing except I have the line from the DMARC 30" to the wiring closet. Direct into the DSL filter and then out to voice telephone (cordless) and the DSL line into the Versalink DSL modem w/wifi...

Thanks Asjamias, you've been very helpful.

so you have a wiring closet that has a dsl splitter also? can you post a pic?

open up that splitter inside the NID and let's see how it looks like inside..if indeed there is only 1 wire pair from your cat5e, then the video would be your guide...

what I am trying to get at is there should be only 1 dsl splitter in your line to where your modem will connect. it may come from the NID or split properly inside.

mitchell
Darlington, SC

mitchell

The NID definitively does not a dsl filter installed internal.

Change of configuration:

I have routed a separate pair from the customer connection to the DSL modem direct.

The Voice path is running thru a phone filter only (not a DSL/phone filter/splitter)

I will check how this works over the weekend, so far I'm streaming CNN with no hickups to the big screen and three other computers browsing. So maybe it was a combination of using ethernet cable for the 50' run from the NID to the inside closet coupled with the use of a single DSL/Phone Filter to handle the split. I dont know, but here we are and all is well..........so far...

Lloyd
mitchell

mitchell

Re: Monday Morning UPDATE

Well, Over the weekend the DSL has been stellar.

Its not 100% but I feel this remaining problem is not ATT's but a certain webpage that I've found a lot of folks are complaining abut its slow or no loading and it kinda points to a flash problem/hickup.

So In retrospect having a "HOME RUN" is the most stable (as has been stated many times on this forum) only using a phone filter on the voice path works.

Once the webmail page from GoDaddy is cleared up I'm good to go.

Thanks for all the assistance and working with me....

LLoyd