Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

an1913t
Premium
join:2012-06-17
Dallas, TX

DSL Service Issues

We have had DSL (1.5M) in Dallas for probably 8 years now. We've had the occasional service drop issues, but in the past 2 months, it has become much more common. On the weekends, we almost can't get service.

We have had significant static on our land line, even with line filters. I finally purchased a Corning SPS-SA1-SR1 NID splitter/filter.

My NID looks exactly like the one in the opening post in this thread:

»Home Run Question

I installed the splitter a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't really helped the situation. I connected the wires from the splitter to the red/green posts on the test jack. I connected our home phone line to the Corning splitter. We have a new CAT5 line run direct to our DSL modem. That line is connected to the red/green terminals on the test jack.

Even with the splitter, we still get static on our land line, particularly with the DSL modem is trying to connect. If I turn off the DSL modem, the static dies down.

Any thoughts on how to improve this situation? Thanks in advance.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
Which modem model do you have?

Throng

@swbell.net
reply to an1913t
This may not apply your case, but when I experienced the same symptoms several years ago the problem turned out to be an outside wire having rubbed away its insulation in one spot, allowing moisture to penetrate.

an1913t
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to d_l
I've got a SpeedStream 5100 modem. It is the original I got ~8 years ago.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to an1913t
said by an1913t:

We have had significant static on our land line, even with line filters. I finally purchased a Corning SPS-SA1-SR1 NID splitter/filter

Is there static when the dsl modem is off

an1913t
Premium
Dallas, TX
There is a bit of static, but much less than when the modem is on.