share rss forum feed

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to bfollowell3

Re: [CATV] Evansville structured wiring question

well if you end up running them to one of these:

»www.lowes.com/pd_248356-60784-36···+legrand

All you would have from Insight (and its hit and miss when they do it) is a grey box simiar to a Telephone NID that has the cable co's feed from their pole or pedestal, going to a ground block, that then has one line going inside to the above panel i linked to where they would install their splitter and amp if needed. Thus if you changed providers they would install their own grey box and run their own line inside to the same box i linked to, all that changes is vs 1 grey box u'll now have 2 on the outside and 2 lines coming in the house, make sense?

bfollowell3

join:2009-12-11
Evansville, IN

said by OSUGoose:

well if you end up running them to one of these:

»www.lowes.com/pd_248356-60784-36···+legrand

All you would have from Insight (and its hit and miss when they do it) is a grey box simiar to a Telephone NID that has the cable co's feed from their pole or pedestal, going to a ground block, that then has one line going inside to the above panel i linked to where they would install their splitter and amp if needed. Thus if you changed providers they would install their own grey box and run their own line inside to the same box i linked to, all that changes is vs 1 grey box u'll now have 2 on the outside and 2 lines coming in the house, make sense?

OK, I think I see what you're saying. I could put that box or one similar inside close to where the cable company box is. They would run their wire inside to that box. I'd run all of my coax runs back to that box and inside they'd connect their line to all of mine using whatever combination of splitters and amps may be required. They'd likely also split out the Internet feed here which I could tie in to my structured wiring panel which probably won't be located in the same place as this box. From there I could tie-in all of my ethernet drops, phone drops, etc.

Thanks.

- Byron

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

I was linking that box as being your structured media panel, as traditionally those panels are located next to your fuse panel/breaker box that feeds the whole house.

bfollowell3

join:2009-12-11
Evansville, IN

1 edit

said by OSUGoose:

I was linking that box as being your structured media panel, as traditionally those panels are located next to your fuse panel/breaker box that feeds the whole house.

True, I figured as much. But, in my area, most new construction winds up having the breaker panel in the garage; just about the worst place for a structured wiring panel because of heat. Sometimes, depending on how the house is laid out and how it sits on the lot they may use a laundry/utility room but I'd say the garage is used about 90% of the time.

Also, I'm sure I'd wind up using a box similar to that but it would be way too small for my needs. I know they make larger though.

Thanks again for all the info.

- Byron