ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to mech1164

Premium Member

to mech1164

Re: Nessecites

Absolutely, have the same TMO prepaid plan and love it.

$30/month, no extra fees/taxes, for 5GB 3G data is a bargain compared to contract data plan prices.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson

Nice, my Verizon contract is up in less than 1 month, and I planned on switching to either the t-mobile or att prepaid.

I'm tired of paying $90/month for a phone that I barely ever use anymore.
merc669
Premium Member
join:2000-08-19
Lexington Park, MD

merc669

Premium Member

I am in same situation with my wife and me. Together we are paying around 200 to Verizon. I can cut that cost to around 75 a month with Straight talk. Her contract expires in Aug, mine in Apr of next year. But I will just pay the ETF in Sept. I calculated it out that I would save a whole lot more for the duration just paying the approx 190 for the ETF compared to the approx 90 for one phone for the remaining time. My problem is finding the best one. So far it seems Trac or Straight seems to be the best for what we need (Voice and Text). I figure I will buy two unlocked phones (good for text and voice only), a sim and a plan and I should be good. At least this is the plan....

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium Member
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

King P to AnonPerson

Premium Member

to AnonPerson
Consider Red Pocket Mobile too. They are an AT&T MVNO with some pretty good prices/plans and are prepaid.

Plus, you get HSPA+ access, if AT&T has it in your area. Any AT&T Sim Locked phone will still work, because it's still AT&Ts network.

Lots of folks I know using the Lumia 900 on it. I might be ditching my T-Mobile prepaid to move to them, unless T-Mobile refarms my area soon.

I swear I'm not a commercial for these guys.

AnonPerson
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson to merc669

to merc669
I am also considering Virgin Mobile, which uses the sprint network. They have decent phones and pretty high coverage. The only thing holding me back on Virgin is that Sprint is constantly rated the worst mobile network.

One good resource for doing research on both phones and carriers is www.howardforums.com. Their forum section is huge and full of info.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to AnonPerson

to AnonPerson
I can understand you looking at AT&T prepaid - however, how is the selection of available *phones* among the prepaid carrier plans? One thing I have noticed among them all is that handset selection is poor to nearly nil among the majors other than T-M (best selection - however, their prices are not exactly low, and I've mentioned the coverage issues). If I were *able* to move from Safelink, I'd be looking at the equivalent of a feature phone with Wi-Fi; however, not one carrier offers such an option.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to AnonPerson

to AnonPerson
..also.. Sprint isn't available in quite a few areas. Good luck getting it to work here.

..and WHY would you go to a carriers pre-paid plan? I seen them and you're not really gaining anything. I laughed when I seen VZ's prepaid plans. A gig of data on an Android? $50/mo? WTH?

I'll stick with ST or Net10. I've tortured them for a month and they seem not to mind (Samsung Captivate running Pandora, Slacker, Google Maps, Netflix, and a few others at least 12 hours a day).

AnonPerson
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson

You cannot accurately compare VZ's prepaid plans to other carriers that specialize in the prepaid market. VZ clearly does not want to offer good prepaid bundles & phones because then they would lose millions of their cash cow postpaid users.

Take a look at T-mobile, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, etc, etc for more accurate depictions of why people are shifting to pre-paid. There are tons of pre-paid companies out there now (all which piggy-back off one or more of the mainstream carrier's infrastructures)
AnonPerson

AnonPerson to PGHammer

to PGHammer
Yeah I do have to agree that ATT's phone selection isn't as good as some of the other prepaid carriers. However, you can fairly easily purchase a wide variety of used phones that can be used on ATT's network...if you are comfortable with a used phone and savvy enough to do some required work-arounds.

In reality, due to phone selection, I will probably end up with T-mobile or Virgin.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to AnonPerson

to AnonPerson
Very true, but TMO is one of the companies that does NOT piggy on another network. They own their own, just choose to compete on price. The same as Sprint was doing.