All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
steamingyoda
join:2006-06-30
Toronto, ON

steamingyoda

Trying to cancel, another frustrating experience.

So to add to the other maddening experiences trying to cancel service with Acanac, here is mine.

As a brief background, I've been with Acanac for two and a half years. It hadn't been a perfect experience, but wasn't bad either. The definite worst thing was when switching from DSL to cable after one year, and in doing so they wiped out all my online storage, (because they "switched my accounts") and I lost hundreds of precious photos. I didn't realize it until months later when my hard drive gave out and I tried to access my FTP site through Acanac and realized it was all gone. I spoke to a tech, and they pretty much said, "Oops." Definitely unacceptable that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. But maybe I'm just a total pushover, but I just let it go.

Anyway, fast forward to June 5. I found out I had to move, and asked about moving fees, as well as suspending my service for 2 months as I'll be moving temporarily to a place that already has internet. I did get a prompt reply the next day that the moving fee of $99 (as unreasonable as it sounds) cannot be waived, and my account can't be suspended. I was offered 15 days of free service, but after doing the math, it turned out to be much cheaper for me to just cancel service, and sign up with either Teksavvy or back with Acanac in a two or three months, especially since the activation fee for each is significantly cheaper than Acanac's move fee. So I immediately requested to go ahead with the cancellation.

On the 9th, 3 days later, I got a response saying I'll be refunded the amount paid minus the months I've used charged at the regular rate. I remember being told that the rate I'd be charged in this situation depends on how many months used (ie, 3+ months would be @ 3 month contract rate, 6+ months would be @ 6 month contract rate, etc) but the website states the single month rate is used (who knows when this was updated) but I'll accept it. However, this email said my service will end on 2012-04-14. I was confused, so I responded that the date makes no sense.

Now, I didn't get a response for 4 days until the evening of the 13th, saying "Sorry for the mistake. We meant 6-14. If you want to use the service until 6-22 (our moving date) you'll be charged an extra month." Well, maybe if this was done over the phone, that wouldn't be a big deal, but Acanac's universally-beloved policy of handling billling by email only means that responses don't get handled for at least 2 days. So this means my response can only be processed after a new billing cycle starts. And in this particular case, I was on a business trip out of the country and couldn't respond until the morning of the 15th. Anyway, I immediately responded with "If I had some notice, I would have requested (and still would like) to have the service suspended on the 14th." However, it's now the 18th and my service still hasn't been suspended, and I haven't gotten a response, and knowing Acanac's track record, they will insist on charging me an extra month, which would be EXTREMELY unethical considering their choice to draw out cancellation/refund tickets the way they do. I have avoided sending multiple emails because of what I've been told about their silly mechanism that sends tickets with new emails to the very back of the queue.

So I have to frustratingly sit here and wait for them to pilfer me as much as they possibly can. I have to say, I was undecided on whether to re-sign with Acanac or go with Teksavvy after my move, but it's becoming more and more clear that a dollar or two of savings a month is NOT worth the lack of respect every customer seems to feel after dealing with Acanac.
Lynn0
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

Acanac Inc.

steamingyoda I am so sorry you are going through this and wish I could change the decision made but I have no access to billing. However I do have a suggestion. This is the type of feedback that the owners and managers like to know about. Can you please copy this and send it to feedback@acanac.com? The managers and the owners read this feedback and try to help where they can.
I would like to help you more but my hands are tied in certain departments.
steamingyoda
Toronto, ON

steamingyoda

Hi Lynn,

I have followed your suggestion and forwarded my post to that email address. I certainly hope this can be resolved.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

I am sure someone will answer your email from there
steamingyoda
Toronto, ON

steamingyoda

Not sure if the email I sent as you suggested had any influence, but I finally got a response from retentions saying they'll honour the June 14th cancellation date, so that is good to hear.

Will update later on how the refund, etc goes through.

Thanks Lynn.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

Your very welcome. Glad I could help.