how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

esayre
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

[HN7000S] Load of DNS lookup errors - HELP!

Over the last few weeks I have been getting lots of DNS lookup errors. This is happening on multiple computers on my network.

I also have a Linksys router with Tomato installed on it. Tried changing the DNS server addresses to google but that doesn't seem to help.

Ideas?

Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA
DNS problems are 100% Hughes Networking.

unless you have a bad router.

esayre
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
said by Kaosfury:

DNS problems are 100% Hughes Networking.

unless you have a bad router.

I have by-passed the router and still gotten errors.

esayre
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
reply to esayre
Found this last week:

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···ers_here

So I sent them an email. This is the answer:

Hello Evan,

Since we have not troubleshot your system in almost a year I've scheduled a call to your site. In addition, I will look into your account to make sure your settings are up to spec.

Thank you for your email.

Sara for Community Support

That lead to a wonderful call from their "tech" support which didn't solve anything, of course.

So, I sent another email:

I talked to tech support yesterday about this problem and got the sense that they weren't properly briefed on what the problem was - they wanted me to connect the HN7000s directly to my computer and "test" to see if the DNS errors happened again. I felt this call was a total waste of time, but I humored the tech and did it. Sure enough, DNS errors again!

I really don't want to call back in and talk to the horrible, script following tech support. If you truly want to solve this for me have someone that actually can troubleshoot the problem call me.

"Sara's" response:

Evan, I'd love to help but we need to either recreate the issue on our end on our test lab or have one of our agents walk through the error with you (and notate the necessary information for us). Unfortunately, since we don't have enough information for the former we're left with the latter. It sounds like we couldn't recreate the error on the call I scheduled so I suggest you reach out to us the next time you see the error. Please give us a call at 866 347 3292. I'm positive we can get this resolved it will just take some time and effort. Thank you, Sara

The DNS errors don't happen in any kind of repeatable fashion so I don't know where to go with this next.

Also, should the customer really be expected to be the one to put in the "time and effort" to solve their problems?

Any ideas where to go next with this?

Kaosfury

Altavista, VA
reply to esayre
As a HughesNet Installer. if you are getting a "green" light on your system control panel.

than there is nothing i can do to help you friend, i control from modem to dish.

i can give you no more advice on how to get help with the DNS errors

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
reply to esayre
I don't know if it's any different with the 7000S compared to the 9000 I have; Have you tried changing your DNS servers on your computer or router to another service like Google DNS or Open DNS to see if they resolve your issues?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

2 edits
reply to esayre
Last time it happened to me, changing routers helped. But now the DNS errors have returned, and I have another router ready to go online. But if you've already done that - and the issue persists - I'm going to try a pair of OpenDNS addresses. If that works, then I guess it's truly time to lay it at Hughes' doorstep

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

RFJUNKIE

join:2003-11-12
Ajo, AZ
reply to esayre
I have had this random problem for over a year, the last couple weeks real bad...
Run Ubuntu on one machine and Windows on another same on both....
I replaced my router with a switch no change!!!
When it is at its worst I have to resend three or more times to get through!!
Seems to be worse on secure sights..
It does go away for a week or two then returns...
On our last outage a week or so ago i replace the outside unit and installed new coax, (i keep a spare) that did not change anything either!!!
There was a posting here abt a year ago that had some thing to try but it did not work for me!!!

I have been with Direcway/Hughes for over 7 years i am waiting for the new sat to become active if it is not any better i am gone!!!

I am sure this problem is on their end!!

HS7000S,95W....frq.1420

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
said by RFJUNKIE:

I have had this random problem for over a year, the last couple weeks real bad...
Run Ubuntu on one machine and Windows on another same on both....
I replaced my router with a switch no change!!!
When it is at its worst I have to resend three or more times to get through!!
Seems to be worse on secure sights..
It does go away for a week or two then returns...
On our last outage a week or so ago i replace the outside unit and installed new coax, (i keep a spare) that did not change anything either!!!
There was a posting here abt a year ago that had some thing to try but it did not work for me!!!

I have been with Direcway/Hughes for over 7 years i am waiting for the new sat to become active if it is not any better i am gone!!!

I am sure this problem is on their end!!

HS7000S,95W....frq.1420

You keep a "spare" of coax? But why? those cables go bad in a while the more you use it by installing and uninstalling and packing it away.. When you bend the cable the more it begins to wear out and tear then cause problems later down the road.
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ 1-2 pc's on wireless D-Link router with password

esayre
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
reply to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Last time it happened to me, changing routers helped. But now the DNS errors have returned, and I have another router ready to go online. But if you've already done that - and the issue persists - I'm going to try a pair of OpenDNS addresses. If that works, then I guess it's truly time to lay it at Hughes' doorstep

//greg//

I have Google DNS in my router only now. Guess I should try some OpenDNS. Pretty much sucks that I have to do this as I really have no other option for service.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to esayre
ipconfig /flushdns

have you tried that on any machine?
Did it help?

esayre
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
said by Aranarth:

ipconfig /flushdns

have you tried that on any machine?
Did it help?

I just did while setting up OpenDNS - then I had a DNS lookup error almost immediately.

esayre
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
reply to grohgreg
Started setting up OpenDNS and found this:

»www.opendns.com/support/article/63

Sounds like Hughes runs all traffic through a proxy server so it doesn't matter what we put in for DNS servers?

RFJUNKIE

Ajo, AZ
reply to diablo1892

Dab:
It is like this i live 5/6 months in Az and remainder in Clay Co WV.
I remove outside unit and store it for the winter in WV and summer in AZ.
Dont have to transport anything but the inside unit...I have been portable for 5+ years the only wear out problem i have in Wv is MOISTURE.. I keep a 1000' spool of coax at each destination, the one here in Wv is down to abt 800'.... I bought them when i retired, I am a retired commercial radio tech... Never worn out any coax yet, maybe lost a couple to string trimmer or lawnmower!! The only reason i keep so much excess coax here in Wv the drug heads dont know the difference between coax and copper wire and if u leave it out they will take it. I also have an antenna/dish farm here.....Where i live in Wv u dont just run down the hollow and pick up supplies like coax!!! I Have 4 outside units (keep two at each location) and 2 inside units one not commisioned !!! Where I live here there is no landline or mobile phone ..no ups!! so i must have in stock or do with out.....It may be over kill but it works for me!!! there is no such thing as Hughes support here since i dont have phone access!!!

This DNS problem has been at both locations....

Kaosfury

Altavista, VA
as long as that Coax is sweep tested to 3GHZ, if not, your doing more harm than good

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to esayre
said by esayre:

Sounds like Hughes runs all traffic through a proxy server so it doesn't matter what we put in for DNS servers?

That's dated information, no longer applicable. The proxy server configuration went the way of the DW3000/4000 modems. I installed two OpenDNS addresses in my router right after my last post, not a single DNS error since. That almost conclusively points to an issue with the HughesNet DNS server at my NOC.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

RFJUNKIE

Ajo, AZ
reply to Kaosfury
Both spools were sweep by manufacture labels still on them... Hughes Runs are less than 50' .. I run a full blown ham station here and several 75 ohm FTA dishes...Never had any problems i could relate to coax quality!! The reason i changed the coax a couple weeks ago I was getting a tx error code but it was not the coax it was a Hughes issue!!

Dont want to get off topic here :::

Resetting by powering down seems to help sometimes...
The good thing it seems to go away on it own after a short time!!!
Been fine so far this morning.....

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
said by RFJUNKIE:

Resetting by powering down seems to help sometimes...
The good thing it seems to go away on it own after a short time!!!
Been fine so far this morning.....

You should start another topic about this. What you describe strongly suggests a substandard ground on the HughesNet coax run. Static electricity should be shunted by a properly earthed cable block. And it sounds like your in an ion-intense environment. When it's not, static enters the modem and changes zeros to ones and vice versa. Pretty soon the ROM gets confused, and the modem simply locks up. Power cycling resets all the ones and zeros to default.

You can actually get by with 2.2GHz cable on Ku-band, but Hughes has their installers use 3.0 GHz. Their main product these days is Ka-band, which DOES require 3.0 cable. Since 3.0 is "backward compatible", there's no sense in the installers carrying two kinds of cable. Solid copper center conductor is also required, because it carries both IF (intelligence) and DC (power for the outdoor equipment). It's related to "skin effect".

//greg//
--

esayre
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
reply to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

said by esayre:

That's dated information, no longer applicable. The proxy server configuration went the way of the DW3000/4000 modems. I installed two OpenDNS addresses in my router right after my last post, not a single DNS error since. That almost conclusively points to an issue with the HughesNet DNS server at my NOC.

//greg//

Greg is it possible that someone with the static ip service would still be sent through a proxy? I can't seem to get the OpenDNS pages to say anything but 'Your request appears to have come from a proxy.'

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
Ah, I see what you mean. I keyed on your use of the word "proxy", but what we have here is a NAT situation. Not your fault though, sites like OpenDNS can't tell the difference between a proxy address and a NAT address.

Those of us who don't pay extra for a static IP are assigned NAT addresses. Network Address Translation works similar to the old dial-up days, where you'd likely be reflected as a different address every time you dial up. But if you're actually paying the extra $10/month for your own HughesNet unique IP address, NAT should be disabled. It could be at Hughes, it could be in your router setup, or maybe you just think you have a static address. Check »customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/1189.aspx

//greg//
--

esayre
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
said by grohgreg:

Those of us who don't pay extra for a static IP are assigned NAT addresses. Network Address Translation works similar to the old dial-up days, where you'd likely be reflected as a different address every time you dial up. But if you're actually paying the extra $10/month for your own HughesNet unique IP address, NAT should be disabled. It could be at Hughes, it could be in your router setup, or maybe you just think you have a static address. Check »customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/1189.aspx

//greg//

In my system screen I am seeing NPR: Enabled.

Hughes definition of NPR:
Non-Public Routable - A feature unique to HUGHES terminals that are configured with static (aka public) IP Addresses. This provides a NATed subnet (typically 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0) for use on the local LAN in addition to the public IP Addresses configured on the terminal. If this feature is enabled, DHCP Server is configured to provide IP Addresses from the NATed subnet, so computers using public IP Addresses need to be manually configured.

I actually tried to get rid of the Static IP address about a year ago and the CSR told me I would have to get one of their new plans which would cost more and have a lower daily allowance.

aconn

@direcway.com
reply to esayre
I am having this issue as well. It is getting so bad, I can't send emails or search google or go on wikipedia. It is really limiting the usability of my internet! It seems like it has progressively gotten worse over the past month.

I don't know much about DNS stuff, but does anyone have some numbers I could drop in and see if it works?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to esayre
said by esayre:

In my system screen I am seeing NPR: Enabled.

Ok. So you're paying for a static IP. Still doesn't mean you're configured correctly. Read the explanation again, particularly "If this feature is enabled, DHCP Server is configured to provide IP Addresses from the NATed subnet, so computers using public IP Addresses need to be manually configured.". That's why I linked to the Hughes knowledge base earlier.

//greg//
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to aconn
said by aconn :

anyone have some numbers I could drop in and see if it works?

Browse to OpenDNS.com, I use the two IP addresses listed towards the bottom of the page.

//greg//
--

aconn

@direcpc.com
I am using the OpenDNS servers, but I'm not sure if they are working, cause I'm still having a problem. I think Hughes might be overriding them. I have them set on my computer and on my router.

aconn

@direcpc.com
yeah, tried the google ones, too. nothing changed.

I think Hughes must have an override somewhere.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
It has generally been my understanding that by default DNS is handled by the Hughes client/server proxy. If that's the case, the only way to use ones of your own choosing is to tear down the proxy.

aconn

@direcway.com
can we still do that?

on mine it says "Turbo Page Advanced Configuration is disabled"

aconn

@direcway.com
reply to dbirdman
ok, I tried the teardown, and it seems to be working, now!

For the first time in weeks I can send an email through smtp.gmail.com

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
We are having this conversation on two different sites, but I'll repeat what I posted elsewhere:

If you did a teardown without changing any other settings that would mean that you are still using the proxy, but it's another server. Would make sense if there is a particular proxy server that is having trouble.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool