Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

esayre
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to grohgreg

Re: [HN7000S] Load of DNS lookup errors - HELP!

said by grohgreg:

Those of us who don't pay extra for a static IP are assigned NAT addresses. Network Address Translation works similar to the old dial-up days, where you'd likely be reflected as a different address every time you dial up. But if you're actually paying the extra $10/month for your own HughesNet unique IP address, NAT should be disabled. It could be at Hughes, it could be in your router setup, or maybe you just think you have a static address. Check »customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/1189.aspx

//greg//

In my system screen I am seeing NPR: Enabled.

Hughes definition of NPR:
Non-Public Routable - A feature unique to HUGHES terminals that are configured with static (aka public) IP Addresses. This provides a NATed subnet (typically 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0) for use on the local LAN in addition to the public IP Addresses configured on the terminal. If this feature is enabled, DHCP Server is configured to provide IP Addresses from the NATed subnet, so computers using public IP Addresses need to be manually configured.

I actually tried to get rid of the Static IP address about a year ago and the CSR told me I would have to get one of their new plans which would cost more and have a lower daily allowance.

aconn

@direcway.com
reply to esayre

I am having this issue as well. It is getting so bad, I can't send emails or search google or go on wikipedia. It is really limiting the usability of my internet! It seems like it has progressively gotten worse over the past month.

I don't know much about DNS stuff, but does anyone have some numbers I could drop in and see if it works?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to esayre

said by esayre:

In my system screen I am seeing NPR: Enabled.

Ok. So you're paying for a static IP. Still doesn't mean you're configured correctly. Read the explanation again, particularly "If this feature is enabled, DHCP Server is configured to provide IP Addresses from the NATed subnet, so computers using public IP Addresses need to be manually configured.". That's why I linked to the Hughes knowledge base earlier.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to aconn

said by aconn :

anyone have some numbers I could drop in and see if it works?

Browse to OpenDNS.com, I use the two IP addresses listed towards the bottom of the page.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

aconn

@direcpc.com

I am using the OpenDNS servers, but I'm not sure if they are working, cause I'm still having a problem. I think Hughes might be overriding them. I have them set on my computer and on my router.

aconn

@direcpc.com

yeah, tried the google ones, too. nothing changed.

I think Hughes must have an override somewhere.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

It has generally been my understanding that by default DNS is handled by the Hughes client/server proxy. If that's the case, the only way to use ones of your own choosing is to tear down the proxy.

aconn

@direcway.com

can we still do that?

on mine it says "Turbo Page Advanced Configuration is disabled"

aconn

@direcway.com
reply to dbirdman

ok, I tried the teardown, and it seems to be working, now!

For the first time in weeks I can send an email through smtp.gmail.com

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

We are having this conversation on two different sites, but I'll repeat what I posted elsewhere:

If you did a teardown without changing any other settings that would mean that you are still using the proxy, but it's another server. Would make sense if there is a particular proxy server that is having trouble.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

aconn

@direcway.com

Is that with a teardown with fake stuff in there (10.10.10.10)?

I thought it was working, because I was getting DNS errors and stuff, then I'd teardown, and then things would work flawlessly.

But today, did the teardown, and it is still acting up.

theGhostPony

join:2009-07-31
Lexington, KY
reply to esayre

Just for the record, I'm seeing DNS failures as well. Even on sites like gmail and ebay. Sites in Canada that I visit oftentimes won't load at all. The problem comes and goes and some days are worse than others. It's been this way for about a year now, though the past couple of months have gotten worse it seems.

My only recourse has been to pound on the browser refresh button until the site loads.

I don't expect that HughesNet will ever bother to fix this issue, or even investigate it's root cause.
--
HughesNet: We promise nothing. We guarantee nothing. We stand by nothing.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to esayre

Yeah, there's been an upswing in DNS errors while using the OpenDNS addresses as well. Ordinarily, I'd have blamed my router. It was responsible last time. Teardowns don't seem to have worked either. But given the number of others complaining, it seems this problem resides at my NOC.

Which brings up a question; are those affected all connected to Germantown? Or is this issue systemic?

//greg//
--

aconn

@direcpc.com

I am on 117W, 1050.

It is getting really annoying, though did the tear down today with DNS in my router, and it is working well again. Maybe hughes is trying to fix it?

bnugget

@direcpc.com

I've had DNS problems that have been fixed by turbo page tear downs many times. If the turbo page starts with 66 it usually works ok, if it starts with 69 it is often unkind.

Oletrapper

join:2012-07-10
Butler, KY
reply to aconn

Just found this forum by accident. Did a google search on DNS lookup errors and this topic was listed. So here I am. I know very little about NOCs, teardowns, turbo pages and the like. I do know that Hughes sucks. Have been getting the DNS errors for months. Have contacted them several times. Usually, I can't understand the person on the other end. They have resolved nothing. I live in a very remote area and wish there was something available besides Hughes. Mean while, the DNS errors continue.

I stole this from another post. It is the truth!
HughesNet: We promise nothing. We guarantee nothing. We stand by nothing.

Thanks, OT

Maggots

join:2011-09-27
reply to esayre

I've been getting a lot of DNS and Server errors lately. :/