donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Striker

Re: [Weather] Serious Heat Wave

said by Striker :

Don, I think you should strike!

Yes, for the right to not have to wear pants! A worthy cause!

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to DKS

Today we conveniently have to work in the datacenter, all day. What a shame.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by twizlar:

Ahhhhh nice and cool.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by Striker :

The women can wear skirts, so you should be able to be comfortable and let the wedding tackle 'breathe' as well.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

Just icky out there. Sorry for the technical terms, but icky is the best one It is not much better in the office. It is warm in here too and humid, the AC is not working that well. I am wearing short sleeves and linen pants (no shorts allowed). It is bad enough I have to wear pants at all!

TMI!
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

said by donoreo:

said by Striker :

The women can wear skirts, so you should be able to be comfortable and let the wedding tackle 'breathe' as well.

I could claim I am Scottish
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Click for full size
said by donoreo:

I could claim I am Scottish

I hope not!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by Striker :

I wish, suit and tie 4/5 days. 5th day business casual.
--
~ Project Hope ~

robman50

join:2010-12-14
reply to DKS

This temp is crazy. Last night it was 27C feels like 31C at 11pm. Now its 11am and its 32C feels like 39C. I wonder what kind of a storm we will be getting tomorrow for Fridays cool down of 24C?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

I'd be putting in a claim for a rent reduction / condo fee reduction for every month that it is off and you'd like to be using it if I were in your place, as you rented/bought based on the building being air conditioned and it isn't. I hope it gets re-enabled soon.

I checked my lease, there's unfortunately no mention of AC in it, so I'm not sure I can do much. I went down this morning and complained that it was a health hazard; it was 38 with humidex in my apartment last night, and it's going to get several degrees warmer later this week... I might buy a portable AC to use for a few weeks before selling it to a friend who is looking to buy one.

said by Kardinal:

How about a redneck air conditioner for a few days? You could use a few bags of ice, put in zip lock bags to avoid even more moisture in the air, and that way you aren't creating a ton of heat by having your fridge work overtime to freeze the contents of the cooler.

One of my friends actually built one of those once... Unfortunately, I don't have the requisite parts, like tubing or a pump, although I could buy them I'm sure.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by twizlar:

Ahhhhh nice and cool.

Oh yes, but more importantly, nice low humidity.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by twizlar:

said by donoreo:

said by twizlar:

Ahhhhh nice and cool.

Oh yes, but more importantly, nice low humidity.

Yes. Usually even if the AC is working but not keeping things cool, it lowers the humidity. Ours at work is not even doing that very well.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I checked my lease, there's unfortunately no mention of AC in it, so I'm not sure I can do much. I went down this morning and complained that it was a health hazard; it was 38 with humidex in my apartment last night, and it's going to get several degrees warmer later this week... I might buy a portable AC to use for a few weeks before selling it to a friend who is looking to buy one.

Is it an AC built into your apartment (like into the wall or one of those ones built into the floor under the window) that has been disabled? I don't know about Quebec law, but under Ontario law an apartment must be maintained by the landlord and in good repair. A disabled air conditioner that is a permanent fixture of the apartment (e.g. can't be removed) very well could fall under that. If it were me, I'd be making phone calls.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to DKS

Through-the-wall under the window, a combination heater/air conditioner.

There was a previous model in there that worked fine, although it was probably 30 years old (I found an old manual for it online, people are dressed funny, looks like the 70s or 80s). I mean, it didn't cool as much as I'd have liked, but it dropped the temperature in my apartment a bunch, so it kept things tolerable. It was also rated to operate with exterior temperatures as low as 2 degrees, so I generally ran it as long as the exterior temperature was 5 degrees or higher (because even at 5 degrees outside it was too hot in my apartment, and I can't keep the window open overnight). My biggest complaint with the old model was that the control dial was terribly inaccurate, making it hard to do temperature control on heating or cooling beyond "on or off".

This spring, they replaced the perfectly functional unit with a new model designed to fit in the same sleeve, but when they replaced it, they installed it with the AC part disabled since they were planning to do renovations on all the apartment balconies. That was fine in the early spring, but then we started getting those abnormally warm days in March, where AC would have been nice, and now we're almost July and they're still disabled.
--

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

I am wearing short sleeves and linen pants (no shorts allowed).

It shocked me how fucked our society can be, concerning air conditioning, when I was walking to a client's last year and this sales manager was outside having a smoke in a dark suit and complaining about how hot it was 'out here'. I walk inside their front foyer and I'm blasted by COLD, the kind of cold that's uncomfortable in a tshirt... and everyone's wearing winter clothes.

I ask an employee why it's so cold inside and she said she has no idea...

We live in a world where we're aware of our environmental impact and energy requirements, and these energy requirements have a price tag attached to them; why can't we adjust our dress code to meet our climate rather than adjusting our business climates to match our clothing preferences?

I can't see why an office can't adjust its dress code if it's not an office that interacts with the general population, rather than waste a huge amount of electricity to force people to wear a suit to work.

I created a rule a few years back for our office, that people can wear shorts and tshirts to work as long as they're neutral or 'preppy' with a belt, as long as they have a change of clothes in the event they need to interact with a client whose office has a dress code.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to DKS

[Weather] Serious Heat Wave 76 years Ago!

I noticed this little bit below from the Weather Network's Definition of a Heat Wave.

For two weeks beginning on July 5, 1936, much of North America sweltered through the deadliest heat wave in history.

All-time temperature records were shattered in Ontario and Manitoba. The heat twisted steel rail lines, buckled sidewalks and baked fruit on trees.

More than 1,000 Canadians died in the heat wave; in the U.S., the death toll was a staggering 5,000.

Yoikes! Hope we don't have to go through something like that.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada

Wish we knew what the temperature was then...

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

1 edit

said by urbanriot:

Wish we knew what the temperature was then...

And in 1936, the deadliest heat wave in Canadian history hit Manitoba and Ontario. For almost two weeks in July, temperatures rose above 44 C and left 1,180 Canadians dead, mostly infants and the elderly. Four hundred of those drowned seeking refuge from the heat.

Read More Dealing with extreme heat [ CBC News
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 1:35 PM ET
Last Updated: Jul 19, 2011 4:20 PM ET ]

Noted in the same article:
quote:
The highest humidex ever measured was 52.1 C in Windsor, Ont. on June 20, 1953.
(combines the air temperature and humidity into one number)

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

We live in a world where we're aware of our environmental impact and energy requirements, and these energy requirements have a price tag attached to them; why can't we adjust our dress code to meet our climate rather than adjusting our business climates to match our clothing preferences?

I used to argue with my old boss about that over and over and over again, and got a different answer every time - "It's not that hot out, I feel fine in these clothes," "We need to maintain a look of professionalism," "The heat will be over soon so it's not a big deal" etc etc etc. It was a load of bullshit as far as I was concerned. It became difficult at times to remain comfortable while doing the work I was expected to do.

Here at the shop, we wear shorts and short-sleeved shirts in the summer, and only run the AC when we absolutely have no choice but to do that else we become unproductive. Today is one of those days, and in fact is only the second day this year we've had it turned on. We only cool the showroom, the front warehouse is an oven and we've got all loading bay doors open to the back warehouse.

kids eh

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

My wife had to turn on her heating blanket last night. She said she was too cold. I find 22 not too cold.

Guspaz, tough it out. You are young. It builds character.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

I've been toughing it out, but when it gets around 40ish and my job performance is impacted by sleep deprivation and I have to start worrying about heat exhaustion in my own apartment, things have gone too far.

There is something wrong with my apartment. The first two years that I lived here, I had no AC, and it never got this bad. Since then, they've done a bunch of reno, probably improved the insulation a ton, and now it's MUCH hotter in my apartment inside than outside. There are times when it is 15 outside, and 27 inside, even though my bloody window is open. I'd open the door, but along with disabling my AC, they've barricaded my door.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to kids eh

said by kids eh :

My wife had to turn on her heating blanket last night. She said she was too cold. I find 22 not too cold.

Guspaz, tough it out. You are young. It builds character.

22? Try 38. That was the humidex in my apartment last night.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to TwiztedZero

Re: [Weather] Serious Heat Wave 76 years Ago!

said by TwiztedZero:

Noted in the same article:

quote:
The highest humidex ever measured was 52.1 C in Windsor, Ont. on June 20, 1953.
(combines the air temperature and humidity into one number)

There were a whole slew of locations in Southern Ontario last summer that came very close to exceeding that number.

Could it happen this summer? We'll see.
Expand your moderator at work

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

II'd open the door, but along with disabling my AC, they've barricaded my door.

What? Barricaded your door? To where does that lead, outside?

Isn't that illegal if it doubles as a secondary exit from the premises?
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Yeah, something doesn't smell right about that whole situation.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by Guspaz:

II'd open the door, but along with disabling my AC, they've barricaded my door.

What? Barricaded your door? To where does that lead, outside?

Isn't that illegal if it doubles as a secondary exit from the premises?

That would probably be in preparation of work on the balconies.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to DKS

The apartment building's balconies tend to span multiple apartments, and they had metal walls on the balconies that added privacy between apartments. When they started the reno, they removed the metal privacy walls, and barricaded all balcony doors (put a two-by-four across the door-jam and tie it to the doorknob so you can't pull the door open from inside). The only way to cool my apartment is by opening my window, but that makes no difference, there's zero airflow even with the window open to what is probably a 4 by 3 foot opening to outside. Ever since they did all the reno (replaced the door, replaced the windows, replaced the AC and fixed the insulation around it), the apartment is normally much hotter than outside.

Let me underscore how serious this is: I've even tried turning off my computers and all other electronic devices in my apartment overnight to try to lower the temperature, but it didn't help :P
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC

Give Regie de logement a call? Not being allowed to use an AC in this weather can cause serious problems for some people.

Kids eh

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I've been toughing it out, but when it gets around 40ish and my job performance is impacted by sleep deprivation and I have to start worrying about heat exhaustion in my own apartment, things have gone too far.

You brought back some very nice memories of when I lived in Montreal.

When I was in my twenties living in an apartment, same like you, I had bought my own A/C.

On days like this when it was so hot you just couldn't sleep at night, and you sweated uncomfortably in your bed, I would walk into work all refreshed. People were bitching and complaining.

I would say I have no issue. My A/C worked fine.

Then all of a sudden a few of the single women actually asked if they could sleep at my place. Then I would test the waters with other women when they were complaining and said, "feel free to stay at my place".

Now It didn't take long for me to realize how used I was. But damn! 20-something, a day like today, hot sweaty women.

I got some action a few time just cuz I had an A/C.

So from an old miserable grouch like me, to a young stud like you... here is some advice: Go get an A/C and work that angle. Bet you get some action by Friday night.

That's my free advice for today. 99-cents any other day.

Not kidding either...