spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DontTrustFam

@optonline.net

[XP64] Read-only access to photos using Windows Live Photo Galle

Hey, WLPG looks like a great solution to putting my photo database on a home share for my family to see. The problem with this is that I don't want them to be able to make permanent destructive edits to the originals on the share, BUT I'd still like them to be able to use all of the features like editing and 'save as.'

Is there any way to disallow destructive editing but allow view and save as access? Setting user permissions wouldn't help as they'll be accessing in through a NAS that doesn't have security controls for read-only.

Thanks for any ideas.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

Re: [XP64] Read-only access to photos using Windows Live Photo G

said by DontTrustFam :

Is there any way to disallow destructive editing but allow view and save as access? Setting user permissions wouldn't help as they'll be accessing in through a NAS that doesn't have security controls for read-only.

Maintain a master copy offline (as far as the NAS is concerned) and allow full write to the copies. If you are happy with the modifications, overwrite the master copy or maintain the edited content as a revision / archive file.

Pictures are small, respectively. There is absolutely no reason why everyone should not have at least two copies of every image that is worthwhile saving.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to DontTrustFam

Your basic problem is trying to implement access permissions on a storage device that doesn't support access permissions.

Replace the storage device with something better-suited; it's simpler than trying to workaround the deficiency.