how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

VPN's and proxies

They may have a hard time attacking those, at least VPN's, since they're used so much in business. Of course, they could always get the ISP's to block VPN access unless the customer upgraded to an expensive "business" plan. The ISP's would love this, since it would mean increased revenue. Honestly, I'm surprised this hasn't happened already for that very reason.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

said by ISurfTooMuch:

They may have a hard time attacking those, at least VPN's, since they're used so much in business.

They'll just pass a law saying that it's illegal to use a VPN without a government license. This not only cuts off regular people from VPN use, the government gets to charge businesses for the privilege of using one.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Of course, they could always get the ISP's to block VPN access unless the customer upgraded to an expensive "business" plan. The ISP's would love this, since it would mean increased revenue.

So if I want to use a femtocell (e.g., Verizon's Network Extender) I have to have a business account?

It'll never happen and wouldn't be enforceable even if it did. You're missing the point anyway; the goal isn't to make piracy impossible, it is to place it out of the reach of the average user.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

No, I get the point; I'm just responding to the assertion at the end of the article that VPN's and proxies could be next in the crosshairs. I can't imagine it'd be very hard to write a program to make connecting to a foreign VPN quite easy, and, for a small fee, I imagine there would be plenty of folks willing to lend their connections, especially in countries with lax piracy laws. It'll happen. The question is how the entertainment industry will respond. The one thing I can guarantee is that they won't just throw up their hands and admit defeat.