Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678

Re: Using IP address legal & practical

said by Joe12345678:

but there has been time where the got the IP linked to wrong person

Some very small %. So life isn't fair. Deal with it.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Easy to say until you're the one affected by such a mistake. And remember, we aren't talking about pocket change here; people are getting sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars, which doesn't even include the bill for the lawyers hired to defend you. And I've worked for an organization that got sued (a case not related to file sharing). I wasn't involved in the process, but I knew that it was totally frivolous and had no chance of success, but the organization ultimately settled, not because they thought they'd lose but because the lawyers' fees would have been more costly than a settlement. It had nothing to do with who was right; it was a decision based on what would ultimately cost less money.

So, if you're willing to accept the possibility of these mistakes, then let me know how you feel about it if you should ever get sued. Then you can decide if you want to spend several thousand dollars to defend yourself, with the chance of losing much more, or if you decide to simply settle, even though you know you didn't do anything wrong.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Easy to say until you're the one affected by such a mistake. And remember, we aren't talking about pocket change here; people are getting sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars,

The 6 strikes process this whole thread is about isn't about lawsuits. It is about several warnings and possibly curtailed service and maybe at the end a disconnection. I don't think the IP ID process has to be like a capital murder trial, though that is what pirates want it to be.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

No it isn't like a capital murder trial, but you have to consider three things here. First, there is no requirement that an ISP participates in this program, so, even if the RIAA and MPAA say they won't sue anyone until their six strikes are up, such a promise wouldn't cover anyone using a non-participating ISP. Second, such a promise not to sue is just that: a promise. It carries no legal weight, so these organizations could sue at any time if they felt justified in doing so. Third, there are many, many individuals and companies that hold copyrights, and they aren't obligated in any way to participate in this program.

So, in reality, you have no real protection here. The most you have is a promise that only the copyright holders signed on to this program won't sue the customer of a participating ISP; a promise that isn't worth a thing if it isn't honored.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Can you imagine the influx of calls that these ISPs are going to receive even if piracy was so rampant? This is not going to fix anything: it's only going to cause MORE problems like increased costs to ISPs, unless I'm missing something here.

And with all due respect, I thought you were against government intervention of any kind?
Expand your moderator at work

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to The Limit

Premium Member

to The Limit

Re: Using IP address legal & practical

said by The Limit:

And with all due respect, I thought you were against government intervention of any kind?

Where did you get the mistaken idea? There is a place for laws. I am just against government handing out money to society's drones.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state

1 recommendation

crazyk4952 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

So life isn't fair. Deal with it.

Sounds like the republican mantra!

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

The Limit to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Ahem, isn't that what will be happening indirectly with the entertainment industry? Using government laws to make sure someone's business model doesn't fail seems to be the scenario here. Let the free market work it out.
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

The Antihero to The Limit

to The Limit
said by The Limit:

He's only against government intervention when it interferes with big business.

Squire James
@embarqhsd.net

Squire James

Anon

Government intervention should be rare and occur primarily to combat fraud and abuse. Whether it benefits or interferes with big or small business should be irrelevant. I think a lot of current regulations are made specifically to target big business (sometimes correctly, sometimes not), and small businesses suffer greatly in the crossfire.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

Example?