spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

carolkin

join:2012-06-18

[BC] Shaw what a big mistake!

I think I made a big mistake by switching to Shaw. I couldn't resist the deal for telephone and internet, but I guess you get what you pay for. In my building Shaw Cable is included in the rent, so one of their reps phoned me in a weakened moment. With Telus, I was paying around 85 dollars for a land-line and turbo internet. I never worried about caps or throttling, I always downloaded all I wanted and streamed Netflix to my hearts desire. This past weekend with Shaw all I did was get frustrated while watching Netflix, it kept stopping and starting and buffering all through the movie. On top of it, Shaw doesn't have a program etc so I can watch my usage. I have read the board here, and it seems that many people have the same problem with all of Shaw's throttling. I will stay with Shaw for a few months and then I will be going back to Telus, unless a miracle happens and they improve. The only way to improve is to lift the caps and stop throttling your customers. I think what you want me to do is pay more for internet, in that case I should of just stayed with Telus.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

You can see your usage with Online Customer Care, it is two days behind, but it is there.

Shaw's throttling is only on the upstream traffic, not downstream, and only in certain areas that need it as a temporary measure until they can get the area fixed.

The throttling, will not have had an effect on Netflix. It could have been an issue with Shaw, but many many other things as well.

Curious, what speed of internet do you have? How long have you had Shaw internet? Was it only this one movie? All movies? Is it still happening?

What have you done to try and correct the issue so far?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

Shaw doesn't throttle regular connections. My connection rungs at 50mbps/3mbps all the time. Even torrents run at full speeds.

I'm weary whenever a building has telus or shaw included.

How is it setup. Which shaw package do they have you on? Is your who building sharing 1 connection?

Other then complaining you really didn't mention anything useful. Have you tried to call shaw for tech support?

kevinds

Calgary, AB

They only mentioned that Shaw Cable is included, which is fairly common and in Condos makes a lot of sense.

Being that they signed up, he will have his own modem.

Until they come back with more information, not a lot can be done.

-Posted from my phone.

carolkin

join:2012-06-18

Thanks for all the info. Perhaps, it was a Netflix problem. I will keep all this in mind when phoning tech support.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01

said by carolkin:

Thanks for all the info. Perhaps, it was a Netflix problem. I will keep all this in mind when phoning tech support.

If you have a problem, post to ShawSean's thread, or IM him. He will phone you and most likely resolve it. It sounds like you have a very simple problem, and I highly doubt you need a miracle. I think you need some quick technical support, which Shaw would be happy to provide.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to carolkin

What are you worried about? Dsl is 1990's technology. Who would want to sign up for dsl? Shaw is also trying to keep up with the rest of the world with their 250/15 tier which is nothing short of a miracle for this country. You should be thanking the people on your condo board for signing up with Shaw.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to carolkin

Dear Op,

Please next time you decide to slag a company please please post relevant information. Netflix buffering is NOT enough information.

What was netflix being played on?
What type of network was this on? (Wire, Wireless)
If wireless are you having any interference from other devices
Is your modem/router in Bridge mode or not?
Are you running anything else at this time.

That is relevant information.

Cheng

@privatedns.com
reply to carolkin

I just signed up for Shaw cable internet and i couldn't be happier. Lucky for me i didn't listen to the people who mentioned Telus because i like high speed internet like back home in Korea.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to carolkin

Let me know if you're still having issues with your connection. Like the other guys stated though, we'll need a bit more info so we're better able to help resolve the issue.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Community Manager

somedudehere

@telus.net
reply to ChuckcZar

said by ChuckcZar :

What are you worried about? Dsl is 1990's technology. Who would want to sign up for dsl? Shaw is also trying to keep up with the rest of the world with their 250/15 tier which is nothing short of a miracle for this country. You should be thanking the people on your condo board for signing up with Shaw.

Yes dsl (Ethernet) may be from the 90's But coax (remember token ring using coax?) is a lot older. I just had to post, because it sounded like you were saying shaw was using some new type of network topology. Thats it.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01

said by somedudehere :

Yes dsl (Ethernet) may be from the 90's But coax (remember token ring using coax?) is a lot older. I just had to post, because it sounded like you were saying shaw was using some new type of network topology. Thats it.

DSL is not ethernet any more or less than DOCSIS is ethernet. Also Ethernet used two types of coax before switching common usage to Twisted Pair. I'm really not sure what you are trying to say.

DSL was patented in 1988. DOCSIS 1.0 spec was issued in 1997.

Just some trivia facts for you all.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

DSL does use TPE from the DSLAM to the residence, unlike Cable's HFC that has fibre runs to the node and then coax to the residence. He's pretty much summing up 'the last mile' portion for the method of delivery to the consumer.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

From DSLAM to residence is not twisted pair ethernet. if that were the case, you wouldn't need a DSL modem.
Also, TPE uses 4 pairs. I only have 2 pairs of phone wires in my house.
Thirdly, TPE using Cat5 (10/100) maxes out at 100m. on cat3 (typical phone wire) it's unlikely it would do anything at the several kilometer reach of DSL.
finally, a cursory read of wikipedia will explain that DSL from DSLAM to residence (DSL Modem) is anything but twisted pair ethernet:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_su···chnology

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

Stop pulling Wikipedia from your ass. It sounds like you know nothing about the terminology. Any house that is over 20 years old is going to have the old 4 strands runs going to it, then 2 are separated for the purpose of digital signals.

As for TPE, I meant UTP. Sometimes I do get those two mixed up.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M (485M R.I.P) : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

said by XT0RT:

Stop pulling Wikipedia from your ass. It sounds like you know nothing about the terminology. Any house that is over 20 years old is going to have the old 4 strands runs going to it, then 2 are separated for the purpose of digital signals.

Um 4 strands != 4 pairs. Cat 3 != Cat 5.
You cannot get around those truths.
DSL != Ethernet.
Period.
I'm sorry I was giving people a reference to read up on why DSL != Ethernet. My bad. If you want I can reference whitepapers that I guarantee no one will read.

kevinds

Calgary, AB

1 edit

Edit: Removed because too far off-topic.

somedudehere

@telus.net
reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde:

said by somedudehere :

DSL is not ethernet any more or less than DOCSIS is ethernet. Also Ethernet used two types of coax before switching common usage to Twisted Pair. I'm really not sure what you are trying to say.

DSL was patented in 1988. DOCSIS 1.0 spec was issued in 1997.

Just some trivia facts for you all.

All I meant was, technically dsl is "newer" at least when it comes to general public. the exo is still same technology "in general", as far as i know. Just a post back, even though I know this got so side tracked. sorry lol