chilihead
Premium Member
join:2001-02-15
Plano, TX

1 edit

chilihead to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog

Re: So who upgraded from the 35/35 to the 150/65 bundle?

My upgrade experience has not gone so well but I've temporarily solved the issue in spite of being ignored TWICE by Verizon support.

I upgraded last week and while I did see increased speeds I was not getting anywhere near 150 Mbits down. Speed tests consistently showed 95/70.

So I called support and the rep said it was definitely provisioned correctly but she would have someone contact me within 48 hours and we would get it straightened out.

While waiting for a tech to call I started focusing on the cabling between the ONT and router. My home has ethernet cabling including two drops in to my garage. There is a short cable, which the Verizon installer ran 2.5 years ago, from the ONT to one of those jacks.

I start my testing by plugging the WAN ethernet cable from the router into a laptop to check the ethernet link speed. It would only link at 100Mbps not the required 1Gbps! I took the laptop out to the ONT and plugged in to the ethernet jack and got 1 Gbps.
At this point I'm convinced its the cabling.

Since it had now been well over 48 hours since I called support I decided to call back and see what the deal was. The ticket had been closed! Great. Thanks.
I open another ticket and told them that the cable needs to be checked as it is not syncing at 1Gbps and that is why I only see around 95Mbps down. Not surprisingly the rep had no idea what I was talking about and started blathering on about running the optimizer blah blah blah... Sigh...
I hang up thinking I now have a ticket in the system and somebody will come and check the cable... Nope.. Nada.. Zip. That was Monday and today is Friday. They blew me off again!

Anyway, so yesterday I picked up a cable tester at Home Depot and test the two runs. My fears were confirmed... pair 4/5 open on the short cable the Verizon tech installed. The run from my punch down block to my garage jack tested fine.

I ran a temporary ethernet cable from the jack in my garage out the back door and around to the ONT. Bingo! New speed tests show 153/72 Mbits. Nice!

I guess today I'll bust out the crimper and fix that cable. I'd rather Verizon did it but perhaps they don't think its their problem.

On a side note I did receive a Rev I router the day after my order even though I told them I didn't need it.
I prefer my ASUS RT-N66U with Tomato firmware but I'll keep their router handy as they don't want to even talk to you if you don't use their router.

EDIT: Issue resolved after I replaced both connectors.
chilihead

chilihead to Benzima

Premium Member

to Benzima
I just got a Rev I after upgrading my service and they sent a UPS label for the return of my old router.
Benzima
join:2012-06-09
Murrieta, CA

Benzima

...for your "old router"(?) but not the duplicate new one they sent out by mistake?
floridafuzz
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog
I signed up a couple of weeks ago- install is for today. I am sure all will go well. All my equipment is inside in the basement on a panel the bride and I put up. No problem with any of it over 4 years+ old. Still looks brand new! I am also on 35/35 now and going to 150/65. I have a question, I am now using a Trendnet637 WAP for wireless. I am getting Tx speed of 72Mbps and RX of 144.5. Is that decent? I have the wireless shut off on my Actiontec rev D. Once the new ONT and router is installed will I get higher wireless speeds and should I use the new Actiontec rev I or still use my Trendnet?
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog

forida- you're in ri and can get 150/65? I'm in NK and was told max is 75/35. Can you post after upgrade to confirm? Thanks!
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

floridafuzz

Premium Member

Hi codydog- I sure will. I spoke with more than 1 installer who told me that the 4 position switch in the CO will be divided so 2 positions will still support BPON and 2 positions will now support GPON. They are supposed to give me a GPON ONT and a REV I router. I will try to find out which CO I am serviced out of for you. I did my upgrade with my friends at the Verizon FIOS store. The manager also confirmed 150/65. We will see this afternoon. I will post.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by floridafuzz:

Hi codydog- I sure will. I spoke with more than 1 installer who told me that the 4 position switch in the CO will be divided so 2 positions will still support BPON and 2 positions will now support GPON. They are supposed to give me a GPON ONT and a REV I router. I will try to find out which CO I am serviced out of for you. I did my upgrade with my friends at the Verizon FIOS store. The manager also confirmed 150/65. We will see this afternoon. I will post.

Use this to locate your CO:

»/coinfo
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

1 edit

floridafuzz to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog
My tech is on the way-stopping at the hub 1st to switch me over to GPON then will loose the internet till new GPON ONT is installed. will post after.
The Tech just left-guess what- I need a new gigabyte Ethernet card-my computer's card only goes up to 100-not 1000. Only getting 77 over 82 thru Verizon Speedtest. Tech plugged in his laptop running XP, not optimized and he got 141/68. Rev I router and Motorola ONT1000GT4 installed on my panel in the basement. Off to buy a faster Ethernet card.
floridafuzz

floridafuzz

Premium Member

my install saga update-
tried to pick up a gigabit pci ethernet card to put in my desktop at Best Buy and Staples. They don't carry them anymore. I will open up my computer afterwards and see if I have a free PCI or PCI Express slot available and order the card from Newegg. My Dell desktop goes back to 2010 and has integrated 10/100 NIC built in.
To codydog, I think I come out of the CO in Warwick or West Warwick. The CO that takes care of NK is still on BPON according to my installer. No GPON yet.
I had the same tech that did my original install in 2008 do the upgrade today. He has been with Verizon a while and does a very neat job. I called him and he got permission to do my upgrade. Just to state again, my Actiontec is the REV I and my ONT is a Motorola Model Name ONT1000GT4-OPT/MB-70-VZ, Motorola Part Number 537266-006-00 REV 0C(More Fiber-does the list of ONT'S need to be updated?). I will update speeds after I install my Gigabit card.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by floridafuzz:

does the list of ONT'S need to be updated

Yes, but I can't find a datasheet for the 1000GT4. I would assume it's similar to the GT2 which is listed. Perhaps an inside only version.
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

1 edit

floridafuzz

Premium Member

My tech told me it was an outside version but he liked to use it inside. It sounds like it is similar to the GT2. My old Motorola was a BPON unit and all he had to do was change the front portion of the ONT. The back portion that holds the extra fiber he left in place on my panel. An easy upgrade. I'll see if I can post some pictures later.
maybe nycdave can shed some light on this ONT?

lovefios
@verizon.net

lovefios

Anon

No need to upgrade to 150mbs because wih 75/35 i get close to 150 anyway. I get 116 or more on a 75 plan

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3900.png
bronxlcsw
join:2005-09-21
Bronx, NY

bronxlcsw to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5142.png

On he 75/35 plan
bronxlcsw

bronxlcsw to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

damn......
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog to floridafuzz

to floridafuzz
florida--thanks for the update
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

floridafuzz

Premium Member

Just to update my speed results- I picked up an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter from NewEgg for $22.99 on sale and just installed it and reran the highspeed fios speed test, ping is 8ms and speeds are now from 153.96 to 154.47 download and 74.22 to 74.45 upload. I am a happy camper now. Please refresh my memory, how can I copy the results from the speedtest and post the image here.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to lovefios

to lovefios
said by lovefios :

No need to upgrade to 150mbs because wih 75/35 i get close to 150 anyway. I get 116 or more on a 75 plan

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3900.png

It's probably a false reading, use the newer updated version of the OOKLA speed test client: »speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Heh yea it's going to be impossible to get 100Mbps+ on a BPON. It's technically impossible.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog
Sheesh, my tech is here right now for the 150/65 upgrade, and he's telling me that I don't need to replace the coax with an ethernet cable to get the full speed.

I think I've convinced him, but why such variability in installation procedures? Sheesh.

tomshoe
@verizon.net

tomshoe

Anon

Upgraded here... just outside of Tampa, Florida.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 0061.png

Attached speed test results from both Verizon's speed test server and another high speed server in Atlanta.
tomshoe6
join:2012-07-06
Tampa, FL

tomshoe6

Click for full size
Screenshot from Verizon's speed test site as well.

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288

Premium Member

Nice speeds. Enjoy!

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

said by SixOfNine:

Sheesh, my tech is here right now for the 150/65 upgrade, and he's telling me that I don't need to replace the coax with an ethernet cable to get the full speed.

I think I've convinced him, but why such variability in installation procedures? Sheesh.

Bad news: It's his first installation.

Good news: he phoned home to check my assertion that I needed ethernet for 150/65 and was told that anything over 100 (as was already mentioned in this thread) requires ethernet.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to McBane

MVM,

to McBane
said by McBane:

Heh yea it's going to be impossible to get 100Mbps+ on a BPON. It's technically impossible.

While I think his speedtests are bogus or the result of incorrect provisioning, I'm curious why you assume he's on BPON.
bronxlcsw
join:2005-09-21
Bronx, NY

bronxlcsw

Click for full size
Is BPON the new ONT they put in he house?? I ask becuase my FIOS was just installed like 3 months ago so i am not sure if i am on the new system. I did a retest using he new link. During peak hours 8pm on friday i got 84/39. Its only when i test at 5am as i am an early riser do i get the 116/35 result.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Looks correct for the 75/35 tier

scottbryan
@verizon.net

scottbryan

Anon

in brooklyn ny do not see an upgrade for 150/65 anyone in brooklyn area able to get it?

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog
I spent a lot of time on the phone tonight with a tech support person trying to get my upload speed closer to what I'm now paying for. My download speed is OK but upload was only reaching the 30s and 40s in speed tests.

He was a trooper and hung in there for a long time. He went through his checklist and said that everything was good on their end. He then had me try several different tricks, reverting drivers, upgrading drivers, TCP tweaking, etc., but it was clear after a while that he was scrambling to stay one step ahead of Google.

He did a little finger-pointing by mentioning that there's a lot of posts on the interwebs about my Realtek onboard LAN. It didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy to end the call with tech support encouraging me to do my own research on sevenforums.com, but for those of you who are getting consistently good numbers using a PCI NIC, please let me know which one you're using. I'd be willing to shell out the money just to eliminate that possible source of performance issues.

If it matters I'm running Win7-64.
jtavarez
join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ

jtavarez

said by SixOfNine:

I spent a lot of time on the phone tonight with a tech support person trying to get my upload speed closer to what I'm now paying for. My download speed is OK but upload was only reaching the 30s and 40s in speed tests.

He was a trooper and hung in there for a long time. He went through his checklist and said that everything was good on their end. He then had me try several different tricks, reverting drivers, upgrading drivers, TCP tweaking, etc., but it was clear after a while that he was scrambling to stay one step ahead of Google.

He did a little finger-pointing by mentioning that there's a lot of posts on the interwebs about my Realtek onboard LAN. It didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy to end the call with tech support encouraging me to do my own research on sevenforums.com, but for those of you who are getting consistently good numbers using a PCI NIC, please let me know which one you're using. I'd be willing to shell out the money just to eliminate that possible source of performance issues.

If it matters I'm running Win7-64.

You should really distinguish what you see in a speedtest from what you actually get in a real life app-I get a constant 73 megabit/s when im loading my uploads to the max in real life and im using the Realtek 8110SC pci gigabit LAN controller