spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nicee

@digitalhands.com
reply to sonofsmog

Re: So who upgraded from the 35/35 to the 150/65 bundle?

I would upgrade to 150/65 and get rid of T.V., but too much of a hassle to watch my T.V. shows online. I like my DVR because my shows are automatically there.

sonofsmog

join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by nicee :

I would upgrade to 150/65 and get rid of T.V., but too much of a hassle to watch my T.V. shows online. I like my DVR because my shows are automatically there.

Windows 7 + Cable Card + Digital Cable Tuner (ATI, Cyberlink, Silicon Dust, etc.) = $3.00 a month for the cable card and gives you as much storage for TV as you have on whatever computer you use. Oh and some of the Digital Cable Tuners support as many as 8 tuners so you can watch and record 8 shows at once.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

I understand this,

My question is

MoCA 1.0 offers greater than 100 Mpbs MAC rates and 270 Mbps PHY rate

MoCA 1.1 is an extension to MoCA 1.0 and offers 175 Mpbs MAC rates (PHY rate remains the same)

With typical speeds of 220mbs physical , with MOCA 1.1 you would have real world rates of ~140 mbs , this jives with what people see with the MOCA 1.0 routers that cap out ~80 mbs

I understand why you use GigE, to to say the new router won't do more than 100mbs is my mystery I was hoping Dave would elaborate on.

All the ONT's are using the MoCA 1.0 spec on the WAN side, so even though the Rev. F BHR and higher support MoCA 1.1 - the BHR's still fall back to MoCA 1.0 when they connect to the ONT.

KenV

@verizon.net
reply to sonofsmog
I currently have 11 months left on my contract. Can I change my TV and or internet plan without getting sucked into a new 2 year term ?

-Ken

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to sonofsmog
said by sonofsmog:

said by nicee :

Windows 7 + Cable Card + Digital Cable Tuner (ATI, Cyberlink, Silicon Dust, etc.) = $3.00 a month for the cable card and gives you as much storage for TV as you have on whatever computer you use. Oh and some of the Digital Cable Tuners support as many as 8 tuners so you can watch and record 8 shows at once.

FiOS charges us $4 ($3.99) for cable cards here. I thought that was the price for their entire footprint?

floridafuzz
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI
reply to sonofsmog
I upgraded from 35/35 to 150/65 also. They are going to replace my ONT,router and switch me to Ethernet. My original install goes back to 2008 and was BPON. I ran into a Verizon tech and he told me that there is a 4 position switch in the CO and 2 positions are BPON and they will change the other 2 positions to GPON to support the new speeds. He also said that I will end up with a static IP address for the internet, is that true for residential? I signed a new contract for 2 years even though I was still under contract and will get to keep all my discounts. I am on quad play and one bill. It works perfectly.
I have been with Verizon over 30 years, since the days of Ma Bell. I have no intentions of switching now.
I do have a question, I have a Trendnet WAP with a static IP now, that works perfectly. Will I be able to keep it also? Will I need it anymore with the new router?

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
I sure hope those of us on 150/65 get a static IP, that would be a nice bonus, my upgrade is set for tomorrow so ill find out then. As for the Trendnet, it all depends on your situation, I have the Rev G Actiontec now and the range on it sucks so I turned if off and put in a dd-wrt TP Link router as a WAP to improve the signal and add a 5Ghz radio as well.

sonofsmog

Ontario, CA
reply to aaronwt
Sorry $3.99

clams

@verizon.net
reply to floridafuzz
I just checked my account on the VZ site and all I can switch between is: something wimpy, 15/5, 50/25, and 75/35.

As I'm on 35/35 now, basically everything is a downgrade except the highest it'll let me select, 75/35. Should I call and request 150/65? I'm one of the more "recent" NJ installs, I think I was literally the last block in town... but I'm not sure if I'm on GPON, but would they swap it over if I requested 150/65? They'd have to run an ethernet cable too instead of my current coax, but that's super simple, probably. The coax just passes straight through my wall to outside and runs down the side of the house, it doesn't go down through the wall all the way to ground floor.

75/35 is $10 extra, I guess I could kill a TV channel or something to help break even. Would 150/65 likely be $20 more? I can't even check if I wanted too without calling because the option is literally not there.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
reply to sonofsmog
Not a chance on the Static, residential accounts can't get them.

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA
reply to sonofsmog
Did anyone get a second router? I remember seeing that they where going to send me a router, but then I thought it switched to a truck roll. It was installed yesterday. Today I got another router in the mail (both Rev. I)

sonofsmog

Ontario, CA
Hell yeah I got that second router! It's going right on e-bay. Gonna pay for several months of service. God I love Verizon.

sonofsmog

Ontario, CA
reply to dmodert66
BTW. They don't care about a router. Every time the roll a truck the expect to lose a router. Where did your on ONT go? Mine went straight in the trash. hah!

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
reply to sonofsmog
said by sonofsmog:

Hell yeah I got that second router! It's going right on e-bay. Gonna pay for several months of service. God I love Verizon.

several months of service? You can get it for ~$150 off Verizon's website.

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA
reply to sonofsmog
said by sonofsmog:

BTW. They don't care about a router. Every time the roll a truck the expect to lose a router. Where did your on ONT go? Mine went straight in the trash. hah!

Going to hook mine up as a Wireless AP/Bridge in another room for now. That way if they realize what happened, I will just send the router back.

LoST
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Lynn, MA
reply to sonofsmog
So I ordered the 150/65 on Monday, they installed on Tuesday (ONT/router). Now UPS just delivered a Actiontec Rev. I in the mail today. The letter inside box says I don't have to mail back "old equipment". So I guess I got a second free router too
--
"To be LoST is to be me"

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
reply to sonofsmog
SO, what does a home need that fast of service? Are you really getting that speed or is it slower? Vz is not in this area. They don't have the balls to try and compete with Comcast ,AT&T or WOW in this area but wish they would. Speed wise, VZ has it hands down with it's fiber but it's fiber. I would expect better. So, the question remains. People want the fastest internet but still put cheap gas in thier cars. I wonder why that is? Just like E85. Much more performance and cheaper but cars loose 30%+ MPG. Just had to ask.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
For the teleworker its almost a must, especially when you have teenage kids...who game...or youtube....or do VOD of any kind.

It totally frees you from caring what they do as it will no longer interfere with you VOIP or VPN traffic and you don't have to deal with QoS nonsense.

For some it's totally bragging rights. For others its about being in a scene and being able to get it out there first or faster blah blah...

And if you do any kind of large scale geo image work or graphics its all about the upspeed to the mothership. DL isnt really the issue its posting speed...this makes your day some much more enjoyable as you aren't killing time waiting for your stuff get in and get reviewed/processed etc.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to tc1uscg
said by tc1uscg:

Vz is not in this area. They don't have the balls to try and compete with Comcast ,AT&T or WOW in this area but wish they would.

I think you're confusing a lack of "balls" with government regulation on phone companies / feasibility of running two concurrent phone systems in the same area.

Where there is AT&T, there cannot be Verizon.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Thinkdiff:

Where there is AT&T, there cannot be Verizon.

That's not true at all, either can overbuild if they choose, they have in parts of Texas. The don't because it doesn't make financial sense

Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ
reply to sonofsmog
I just went to 75/35

Jobotoo

join:2010-05-05
San Marcos, CA

1 edit
Online I was only able to select up to the 75/35 service. What do I need to do to get the 150/65?

EDIT: I just talked to a CSR and was told that 75/35 was the fastest I could get at my location.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to sonofsmog
WTF, on the upgrade center online, it shows $134.98 more per month to upgrade from 35/35 to 150/65 on my quad play bundle.
--
35/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

jargavet

join:2012-06-22
Crofton, MD
reply to sonofsmog
ordered monday tech came today 9 am

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast

»www.speedtest.net/result/2023547593.png

upload is a little low on the above test but, this test everything is ok

»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

154 dwn 75 up

peek rate downloading a game on steam was 18.9 MB

Spawn026

join:2011-07-31
Bradley Beach, NJ
Bah, tech's not coming out until Wednesday for me but they activated the speeds already. The router only pushes 75 down right now so I'm halfway there. Am I the only one who did this without signing a contract? The only enticing thing they offered for the contract was the free $100 install so I didn't think it was worth it.

sonofsmog

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tennisman94
said by tennisman94:

several months of service? You can get it for ~$150 off Verizon's website.

Several months of the ADDITIONAL cost of bumping up my service I should say. I already had service.

Benzima

join:2012-06-09
Murrieta, CA
reply to sonofsmog
Click for full size
Oh Yeah !!!
"If you only knew the power of the Quantum side"

I'm a happy camper!!!

Tech came out yesterday, installed new ONT. Very friendly guy. Nice unit. All one piece. Hooked up the brand spankin new Rev I router too. So far so good.

Stevies3

join:2001-12-29
Woodbury, NY
reply to sonofsmog
Just updated today (6/23/2012) to 75/35 and within 10 minutes my account was updated. 75/35 is the top tier available in my area 11797

msanta
FIOS

join:2005-05-30
Merrick, NY
reply to Benzima
How long did the installation take?I am getting mine installed on Thursday and I am nervous about it. Can you post pictures of the new ONT and router?

msanta
FIOS

join:2005-05-30
Merrick, NY
reply to sonofsmog
I went from 50/20 to 150/65. First I had to change from copper to digital on my phone line.That took a day, checked the speed and it went to 75/35. Now on Thursday I will get the new ONT and router fro the 150/65. Interesting to know that the internet is provisioned for Ethernet, not MoCa like i had it before. I can't wait for the new speeds. The 75/35 is very fast but in my house everyone has an iPad a laptop or iPhone and I need something faster. I'll post pictures of the new equipment as soon as I get it!