how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Benzima

join:2012-06-09
Murrieta, CA
reply to msanta

Re: So who upgraded from the 35/35 to the 150/65 bundle?

When I got the email, it said the tech would be there between 8:00AM - 5:00PM. Pretty big window, huh? They said he would call 30 minutes prior to arrival, which he did. There's a long story involved behind that call but to answer your question, the whole thing took about 90 minutes. He got there ~5:00PM and was gone by ~6:30PM.

The new ONT install only took him about 15 minutes, then he had to go somewhere to get something which I'm pretty sure was the battery. He was only gone about 15-20 minutes for that. The remaining 60 minutes was troubleshooting. He kept getting some weird 'Fail' LED on the ONT, which he said was very rare. I said "Oh Boy, here we go". He was on the phone with a guy from the Central Office I assumed. I thought for a while he was gonna have to replace the brand new ONT but they got it going after maybe 30 minutes. I think there may have been a miscommunication with the serial number or something because when he re-read it to the guy on the phone, the fail LED went out about 30 seconds later. WHEW!!! The other 30 minutes was troubleshooting the phone lines. I have 2 digital voice lines and they weren't acting right for some reason. Again, after talking on the phone with someone, he finally got it working.

BTW, the Tech was very professional & friendly.

I will post pix tomorrow if you're still interested

msanta
FIOS

join:2005-05-30
Merrick, NY
reply to sonofsmog

So they actually replaced the BBU too? Good to know because I recently replaced the one I have now. Is the ONT bigger or smaller than the BPON ONT?Please post some pictures if you can, that will be very helpful!

Benzima

Murrieta, CA

ONT
Click for full size
ONT: right upper corner
Click for full size
ONT: inside
Click for full size
Rev I router
Not great pix but...hope that helps.

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY

It looks like the ONT and the BBU are one integrated unit. Did the old ONT was outside or inside?

Benzima

Murrieta, CA

The old one was outside. This one is inside

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to msanta

Some ONTs are inside only. An outside ONT can also be installed inside, although an inside ONT is usually used.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the different models of ONTs?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Flojomojo

join:2000-11-06
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit
reply to sonofsmog

Click for full size
Words as advertised!
Got mine yesterday. Verizon's scheduling system is a bit of a mess, with the website promising one thing and the phone people promising another (took 3 tries to get the installation scheduled correctly), but once the tech arrived, everything was smooth and easy.

I had the 35/35 installed in the last few months (replacing my original 2005 ONT) so it seemed a little wasteful to have yet another new router and ONT, but it feels like this is going to last for a while.

I am not using the MOCA portion of the connection, just IP, since I have a pair of Tivo units with cable cards. Speeds work as advertised and ping times are in the single digits. The new red router is fast, there are gigabit LAN ports, and the 2-antenna wifi-N works very well. I would usually swap out the ISP-provided router, but this one seems like a solid performer so I'll keep it around.

My monthly cost is ~$200 for Ultimate HD TV (on 2 cable cards), 150/65 internet, and unlimited voice. One feature that isn't getting much attention is the new suite of digital voice features. They allow you to do all kinds of call forwarding, convert voice mail messages to email, and block anonymous callerID. That sealed the deal for me. If only they had a visual voicemail iphone app, it would be perfect.

So far, I like it!

tf51d

join:2008-06-26
Kissimmee, FL

Are those speeds from a wired or wireless connection? Right now I have a wired connection to my computer from my router which WAN is MOCA. It would be difficult to run CAT5 where my router is (an interior room), so I may have to move it to an area closer to the ONT. So I'm concerned about signal loss reducing speed.

yams

@verizon.net
reply to sonofsmog

Online only lets me go as high as 75/35, is 150/75 a complete and utter impossibility here then? Can I call and specifically request it?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by yams :

is 150/75 a complete and utter impossibility here then?

Where's here?

Of course you can try calling, but if you're provisioned from a BPON only CO, 75/35 is the best you're going to get.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Flojomojo

Silver Spring, MD
reply to tf51d

You will only get those kinds of speeds on a wired network in 2012. My best wifi-N speeds are about 40mbps using the Fios router. I would move the router, cut through the walls, or get a powerline adapter.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Flojomojo

said by Flojomojo:

Got mine yesterday. Verizon's scheduling system is a bit of a mess, with the website promising one thing and the phone people promising another (took 3 tries to get the installation scheduled correctly), but once the tech arrived, everything was smooth and easy.

I had the 35/35 installed in the last few months (replacing my original 2005 ONT) so it seemed a little wasteful to have yet another new router and ONT, but it feels like this is going to last for a while.

I am not using the MOCA portion of the connection, just IP, since I have a pair of Tivo units with cable cards. Speeds work as advertised and ping times are in the single digits. The new red router is fast, there are gigabit LAN ports, and the 2-antenna wifi-N works very well. I would usually swap out the ISP-provided router, but this one seems like a solid performer so I'll keep it around.

My monthly cost is ~$200 for Extreme HD TV (on 2 cable cards), 150/65 internet, and unlimited voice. One feature that isn't getting much attention is the new suite of digital voice features. They allow you to do all kinds of call forwarding, convert voice mail messages to email, and block anonymous callerID. That sealed the deal for me. If only they had a visual voicemail iphone app, it would be perfect.

So far, I like it!

Wouldn't it be much cheaper to go to Ultimate HD and get the bundle price? You would save $40 or $50 a month from your current price since you can't get bundle pricing with Extreme HD and the 150/65 tier.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
reply to sonofsmog

Finally pulled the trigger today on 150/65. The truck doesn't roll until Friday, July 6th.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

yams

@verizon.net
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by yams :

is 150/75 a complete and utter impossibility here then?

Where's here?

Of course you can try calling, but if you're provisioned from a BPON only CO, 75/35 is the best you're going to get.

Bergen County, I'm about 20 minutes from Nyc. More interested in the upload than down so 75/35 is really not as interesting.

I'm on 35/35 now.

packetmanglr

join:2009-02-10
Ashburn, VA
reply to SixOfNine

Just ordered the 150/65 plan. Install date is tomorrow.

yay!

Flojomojo

Silver Spring, MD
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

Wouldn't it be much cheaper to go to Ultimate HD and get the bundle price? You would save $40 or $50 a month from your current price since you can't get bundle pricing with Extreme HD and the 150/65 tier.

Yes, you're right, and that's actually what I did. I misspoke, I got Ultimate HD, not Extreme HD. Lots of TV and bandwidth around here, much more than a reasonably person can use. Perfect for me!

djgizmo

@verizon.net
reply to packetmanglr

I finally got my Fios installed. (150/65). Just a FYI, from what I was informed about the 150 & 300mbps speeds that your install WILL require Ethernet hookup (cat6 preferred). Moca seems to bog down around 95mbps

Also, make sure your tech tests at the CORRECT speedtest site.
»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

Other speedtest sites don't seem to work at this time, which is understandable.

The great thing about having ONLY Fios internet and not TV, is that you can swap out the actiontec router easy. I just had the tech verify everything was working good with the actiontec, and then I had him do a remote IP release on the ONT, switched the cat6 cable to my ASUS RT-N66U, and rebooted my router, and badda bing... I was golden.

I actually get closer to 160/70, which is pretty awesome.

I have to say, Fios seems a lot more stable compared to my previous BHN package. I can game, download, and upload files w/o much of any lag issues.

jtavarez

join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ

said by djgizmo :

I finally got my Fios installed. (150/65). Just a FYI, from what I was informed about the 150 & 300mbps speeds that your install WILL require Ethernet hookup (cat6 preferred). Moca seems to bog down around 95mbps

The great thing about having ONLY Fios internet and not TV, is that you can swap out the actiontec router easy. I just had the tech verify everything was working good with the actiontec, and then I had him do a remote IP release on the ONT, switched the cat6 cable to my ASUS RT-N66U, and rebooted my router, and badda bing... I was golden.

I have to say, Fios seems a lot more stable compared to my previous BHN package. I can game, download, and upload files w/o much of any lag issues.

ya one of the first things you noticed (besides the speed) is the much lower latency due to the higher tier and Ethernet connection-150M and 300M tiers rock

dragsterman
Premium
join:2001-10-28
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to sonofsmog

Well i just placed my order for 150/65 moving up from 25/25.
I asked chat if they would need to come to my house they said no just a router upgrade that will be mailed to me.I got my emailed from the order and it shows the they need to come out from 8:30 to 5:00pm.
I will not even be home then.One thing my setup has always been cat5 from modem to router installed in 2008.

Guess I need to cancel for now.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to jtavarez

said by jtavarez:

said by djgizmo :

ya one of the first things you noticed (besides the speed) is the much lower latency due to the higher tier and Ethernet connection-150M and 300M tiers rock

How much of a difference is the latency on the 150 tier?

sonofsmog

join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA
reply to dragsterman

Don't cancel. They should call you the day before and then you can reschedule.

jtavarez

join:2011-10-27
Plainfield, NJ
reply to aaronwt

on average latency generally drops into the 3ms-5ms range

packetmanglr

join:2009-02-10
Ashburn, VA
reply to sonofsmog

Install finished up and i'm seeing 154/69 on the tests. Not bad.. not bad at all.

pm

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to sonofsmog

I had my install done as well. Took a few hours from 10am-2pm, replaced ONT (Alcatel 211 now) & router (Rev I now). Had fiber moved to the B row in hub in building basement of condo building & NT activated my data & moved the video over as well. My CO per NT has only 1 OLT right now doing GPON from what I overheard with install tech. Weirdest issue was pixel on my living room box, bedroom box & furthest from split was fine. Issue ended up being with coax at 1st split, undid it and retightened at the splitter and it went away. No idea if static built up on that line or what, but all is well now. Coax was never messed with except at ONT when old one was replaced with new one. Fairly easy install but mostly back end issues it seemed since not many GPON installs done in my CO, which was BPON only until recently.

msanta
FIOS

Merrick, NY
reply to sonofsmog

I just upgraded this morning, everything went smoothly, got a new Alcatel ONT and a new revision I router. The tech connected the router to the ONT via CAT5. The only thing he didn't replace was the BBU. It took him like two hours, now I need to configure the wireless network properly because I am not getting such great speed on the wifi part.

SSDD

join:2012-06-22
Hanover, MD
reply to sonofsmog

I upgraded the other day as well and decided to stop lurking a make an account here. Of course things haven't went as smoothly as they could and my after a 2 hour phone call I was told my installation appointment had been canceled by another department and that they would instead just send me a router as my ONT was already good. From what I understand I need a rev 'I' and was shipped a rev 'F' router. The Ethernet ports are clearly labeled 10/100. Do I need to call them back and get a rev 'I' sent out or am I missing something and the F will do the job?

Thanks and apologies for the OT

Edit: I just checked and my current router is a rev F. Sigh

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by SSDD:

From what I understand I need a rev 'I'

That's correct.

You also need a cat5 connection from the ONT to the router.
--

SSDD

join:2012-06-22
Hanover, MD

said by More Fiber:

You also need a cat5 connection from the ONT to the router.

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure I do that as well. I think I have someone on the phone now that's on board with the plan. Once/if I get the proper hardware I'm going to have to make a thread so the resident networking experts can double check my current hardware config as well.

Benzima

Murrieta, CA
reply to tennisman94

Does Verizon have a history of asking for these 'extra routers' back and expecting us to pay for them if we've already sold them or something?

I'd like to know, before I post mine on eBay or something.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
reply to djgizmo

said by djgizmo :

Cat6 or Cat5e won't make any difference. The gigabit spec was designed for Cat5e.

Although a true Cat5 cable won't work. ie. a cable actually made to cat5 specs. They can only handle up to 100BT. But Many cat5 cables were made to cat5e specs once Cat5e specs were proposed back in the late 90's. We have boxes of thousands of Cat5 cables at work made to cat5 specs that can't link at 1000BT. Of course the government agency just lets them sit in storage instead of going to recycling.