how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Carly

@telus.net
reply to Oxidd

Re: [Serious] Building Code as it pertains to Height of Kitchen

Thank you for that comment. If I end up having to replace my cabinets, using a longer cabinet may well be cheaper than having to redo the fridge cabinet and the pantry so that all of them line up across the top.

Carly

@telus.net
reply to donoreo
They are way too high ........ can only reach the bottom shelf unless I use a stool (2nd shelf) and step ladder (top shelf). It also results in the OTR being at eye level (62" above the floor).

Carly

@telus.net
reply to Viper677
Thank you for your comment regarding PDI's. I live in Vancouver and I don't think that's a common practice, but I absolutely will research it. I'm a big fan on Holmes on Homes and lots of what I've seen is scary and I don't have that kind of expertise.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Carly
said by Carly :

They are way too high ........ can only reach the bottom shelf unless I use a stool (2nd shelf) and step ladder (top shelf). It also results in the OTR being at eye level (62" above the floor).

If there is no code violation, and it does not look like it, and they are already installed, I cannot see the builder moving them without you paying for it.

As for the PDI, it is a good idea. We did one on our new house, but did not have an inspector, we just went through with the builder and pointed out all the mistakes. We should have got a proper inspector. He was a dick too. He would not write down something my mother in law pointed out unless one of us also said it.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by donoreo:

said by Carly :

If there is no code violation, and it does not look like it, and they are already installed, I cannot see the builder moving them without you paying for it.

As for the PDI, it is a good idea. We did one on our new house, but did not have an inspector, we just went through with the builder and pointed out all the mistakes. We should have got a proper inspector. He was a dick too. He would not write down something my mother in law pointed out unless one of us also said it.

A lot of builders won't let you bring a third party in with you to do the PDI. That's a builder I would avoid.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to carly
This sounds like unacceptable building practices.

Approach the builder and discuss it, write a registered letter requesting the uppers be located within general acceptable standards. Then if you still get no where I'd start screaming. E-mail, write, visit the model home and have an open/heated discussion when other potential customers are there, visit the building site everyday keeping them on their toes on every aspect of the build, contact your lawyer.

Nothing worse for business than a current customer openly complaining in public when other customers are there.

My upper height is fine I have a 10-12 inch space above them, this looks great and provides for display of fancy items. You don't need a bulk head or the uppers to the ceiling.

Experience tells me to keep on top of the builder because if they screw something up they do not take the initiative and fix it until the homeowner complains. Their mind set is it isn't wrong unless the homeowner say it is, maybe.

Good Luck

Carly

@telus.net
Thank you, Joe and again, thank you to everyone for your thoughts & suggestions. From everything I've heard, it seems that there are no codes that refer to maximum heights of cabinets or OTR microwaves.

I will take your advice about sending in a registered letter citing accepted practices to the builder and in addition, I will explore the possibility of bringing a PDI inspector with me when I do the walk through.

Again, thank you, everyone.