Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

Windows Update Agent Version 7.6.7600.256

Rebooted and Windows installed an update to the Windows Update Agent:

Improvements made to version 7.6.7600.256 of the Windows Update Agent

• Hardened Windows Update infrastructure so that the Windows Update client will only trust files signed by a new certificate that is used solely to protect updates to the Windows Update client.
• Strengthened the communication channel used by Windows Update Client to protect it in a similar way.

neutrino

join:2008-04-16
Miami, FL
What OS are you on?

Tyreman

join:2002-10-08
Canada
reply to Oregonian
Ran into this ditty when accessing windows update last night to check
using '7 Pro here
--
Southern Ontario,Canada

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Oregonian
I did a quick google search and I came across this

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ··· 1661e2a7

Looks like this is for Windows XP. I remember when I was running XP, when you clicked on the icon for "Windows Update" or "Microsoft Update", it would launch IE, and then go to a website to get your updates. Fom time to time, Microsoft would update that page (and the agent that runs on it).

So, I'm thinking that this only applies to Windows XP (well, would also apply to Windows 2003 Server too, as that OS uses the same update method). Windows Vista, 7, and 2008 Server all use the new method from inside the control panel.

--Brian

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to neutrino
said by neutrino:

What OS are you on?

Windows 7 x64.

This update downloaded and installed automatically even though I have Windows Update set to download and notify me when updates are available.

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb
When I go here »support.microsoft.com/kb/949104# ··· ppliesto it just says that it applies to Microsoft Update and does not specify any particular versions of Windows.

lrmayer

join:2000-02-19
Arlington, VA
reply to Oregonian
Just checked when I saw your response -- same here just checked for "applied updates" and there it was dated today as successfully installed -- never saw anything like that before without being asked!

On two machines one 64 and other 32 bit Windows 7 Pro!

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Yup, it looks like they are sneaking that one in on us!

Thanks for confirming that I am not going crazy!

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Oregonian
With all the talk about people seeing this on Windows 7 systems, I went and checked to see if I got this or not.

First, I have automatic updates turned off. The exact words of the option I have selected are "Never check for updates (not recommended)". I always want to check myself to see what is out there, and install it when I am ready to install it.

So, with that being said, I went and viewed my update history. The last thing that was installed on my system was back on 06/15/2012, which was "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.127.2061.0)".

I then went and did a "check for updates". While I get back a ton of options items (35 in all: 34 Windows 7 Language Packs, and Bing Desktop), I only get 1 Important Update. It appears to have been released today. It is "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.129.43.0)"

So, I'm not seeing this update that everyone else is.

For reference, I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise, x64.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Well, it just came in automagically today on a second PC. Both running Windows Home Premium x64.

My guess is that you will eventually see it show up.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Oregonian
I got this installed last night too. When I used the uninstaller to remove Flash and restarted the computer I noticed a black screen with writing at the top of the screen. When the welcome screen came on it said "configuring ...etc" When it was done I found it listed in installed updates! I did not see it in Windows Updates in the Control Panel (I had looked and the only thing listed was the NET Framework 4, which I'm not installing at this point.)

I have a Vista 32bit computer. I have to check my Win7 64bit computers for this.

Sincerely, Libra

deke40
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Texas
reply to Oregonian
Had just got through manually checking for updates and it does not show. Tried again and still not showing. My last updates were on the 13th for a bunch of Framework ones.

Running Vista Home Premium 32bit.

erpster797

join:2008-10-26
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by deke40:

Had just got through manually checking for updates and it does not show. Tried again and still not showing. My last updates were on the 13th for a bunch of Framework ones.

Running Vista Home Premium 32bit.

you're not alone. I have not received the Windows Update Agent v7.6.7600.256 download on my 32bit Vista Home Basic computer, the 32bit WinXP Home edition computer AND the Win7 64bit Home Premium computer. my guess is that only some users will get it sooner and others will get it later.

read the following thread at Microsoft Answers:
»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ··· 1661e2a7

quote from PA Bear:

WU Agent v7.6.7600.256 is being rolled-out over time to avoid overwhelming the update servers. Until it's offered to your computer, 7.4.7600.226 is perfectly safe assuming KB2718704 & all other updates are installed and your anti-virus application is installed & working properly.

in other words, some of us will have to wait until Microsoft makes v7.6.7600.256 of WUA available on more of their WU servers.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Oregonian
said by Oregonian:

Yup, it looks like they are sneaking that one in on us!

Thanks for confirming that I am not going crazy!

It just popped up in the notification box this morning right after the Win7-64 computer came out of 'sleep' mode... and it noted that it was already installed. I've also got things set to merely notify me about updates being available, but to not download or install. Over the years, I've never been too thrilled with auto-installing software, particularly if it insists on auto-embedding itself in spite of the computer owner having been given the opportunity to decline such "privileges".
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Oregonian
Click for full size
As I said in a previous post, I have automatic updates turned off. But, knowing that people have been getting a new version of Windows Update installed, I have been checking off and on the past couple of days.

I just checked now, and this is the screen that I get. So, I wanted to pass it along so others can see it to.

Edit

Added the picture to show the full set of information about the updated agent. This come from double-clicking on the item from the "View Update History" screen.

--Brian

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH
reply to Oregonian
Interesting.... I just got this installed on me to (Win 7 Pro 64bit).

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Oregonian
Thank you for the heads up. I didn't know this was happening but will check when I get home. BTW, I got Win7 Pro x64 both my desktop and laptop.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

erpster797

Los Angeles, CA
reply to Oregonian
Ah at last when I ran Windows Update on the 32bit Vista and 64bit Win7 computers around noon time on June 21 (pacific time), I got the dialog box to install new Windows Update software, just like the one plencnerb mentioned earlier.

only the Vista/Win7 machines got WUA 7.6.7600.256.
but not my WinXP machine. XP still has WUA 7.4.7600.226, but that will soon change when I check again tomorrow.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
nice, cant wait for this update

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Hang in there -- I'm sure it will show up soon.

erpster797

Los Angeles, CA
reply to Oregonian
all right! around midnight FRI 6/22 pacific time, I visited the Windows Update site on my WinXP SP3 computer on IE8 and it prompted me to install a new WU ActiveX Control.

It seems that WUA 7.6.7600.256 came through there on my XP machine. almost all the WUA files are version 7.6.7600.256 but the wuweb.dll file stored in the \windows\system32\ folder is version 7.6.7600.257 dated June 4, 2012.

heck, I even visited the Microsoft Update site around midnight last night and it put WUA 7.6.7600.256 on my XP computer but with muweb.dll file version 7.6.7600.257 dated 6/4/2012.

man345

@as13285.net
reply to Oregonian
How do I uninstall Windows Update Agent Version 7.6.7600.256

I did not request for it. It extents the boot up time by showing a black screen with some digits on it.

It then configures 3 updates everytime I boot up my computer.

This never happened before the Windows Update Agent Version was installed on my Computer by Microsoft.

Neither does it appear among the updates I can uninstall. I am using the Vista Home Premium.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
reply to Oregonian
I'm good to go Win 7 X86
Some ESET users are experiencing ongoing issues

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to man345
said by man345 :

I did not request for it. It extents the boot up time by showing a black screen with some digits on it.

This never happened before the Windows Update Agent Version was installed on my Computer by Microsoft.

Neither does it appear among the updates I can uninstall. I am using the Vista Home Premium.

I'm afraid you are out of luck -- to my knowledge it cannot be uninstalled.

My only thought would be if System Restore would take you back to before it was installed, but given the automatic install nature of this beast, you will eventually get it again anyway.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
reply to Oregonian
I got this in my XP Pro. SP3 and 64-bit W7 HPE machines manually.

deke40
Premium
Texas
reply to Oregonian
I had a little problem with the install but after going through it twice the Install update shows up on my "Installed Updates".

Running Vitsa Home Premium

deke40
Premium
Texas
reply to man345
said by man345 :

I booted up this morning and got the same thing you did.

I did a second bootup and the startup is somewhat delayed but didn't get the 3 updates configuring again.

stevepas

join:2009-04-19
reply to Oregonian
Thanx for posting this discovery Oregonian.

It might explain why I have trouble getting patched.

A week ago I decided I would spring clean my system partition,
Format and reinstall as I've done many times.
I do all my security related tweaks, load security software and tweak,
then connect to the internet for win update.

I set update to download and let me choose install, Processguard Hips told me that update wants to launch, I permit, update launches and then it went quiet, no patches nothing.

I then decided to use the IE update page, (I think I had to install the active x thing) update checked my machine then returned an error page which I couldn't circumvent.

A week later, event viewer shows 'unable to connect' error for windows update agent.
(I managed to manually patch, I got fed-up of waiting after the first day back on-line)

Either my security/tweaks are blocking this stealthy update or it could be because xp sp2 is so old its gone deaf and can't hear this new fangled update communicating

man345

@as13285.net
reply to deke40
I couldn't uninstall it I, however, was able to solve the problem using microsoft autofix. Thanks everyone

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Glad you got it fixed.