uniqs
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to carly

to carly

Re: [Serious] Building Code as it pertains to Height of Kitchen

said by carly :

Is there a limit to how high upper kitchen cabinets can be mounted above the counter? I bought a new place, was blinded by all the glitz in the model home and missed that the cabinets have been mounted at 24" above the counter top. These are normal, 30", three shelf style of cabinet.

The builder is saying that it is legal and is the "new style".

Comments, pls.?

Building codes are generally to manage safety issues, not style.

carly
@telus.net

carly

Anon

Thank you NCR Guy for your comment. In a way, this is a safety issue. The kitchen includes an OTR microwave and because it's attached to a cabinet that is higher than normal, the bottom of the microwave ends up being at eye level. Consequently, I would be removing hot/boiling dishes from over my head while standing on a stool. (I'm 5'3" - not unusually short for a female.)

That is why I was hoping the code speaks to a maximum height the cabinets can be mounted.
carly

carly to NCRGuy

Anon

to NCRGuy
I just came across a site listing kitchen design rules (Starcraft Construction) one of which said that the bottom of a microwave should be no greater than 54" from the floor. With the cabinets mounted 6" higher than normal, this results in the bottom of the microwave being 62" from the floor. (As mentioned, given I'm 63" high, you can see the problem.)

Are you or any of the rest of you aware of a code that stipulates the maximum height for a microwave?

(And thank you to all of you for your helpful comments.)

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by carly :

I just came across a site listing kitchen design rules (Starcraft Construction) one of which said that the bottom of a microwave should be no greater than 54" from the floor. With the cabinets mounted 6" higher than normal, this results in the bottom of the microwave being 62" from the floor. (As mentioned, given I'm 63" high, you can see the problem.)

Are you or any of the rest of you aware of a code that stipulates the maximum height for a microwave?

(And thank you to all of you for your helpful comments.)

I checked my own kitchen, which was redone last year. The microwave is 56" from the floor. The cupboards (with drop valence) are 16" above the counter. I'm 6' and I find the microwave is something I am careful about (and always use a Nomex OveGlove)