Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to carly

Premium Member

to carly

Re: [Serious] Building Code as it pertains to Height of Kitchen

As already said, I don't believe there's anything in most building codes pertaining to that, although you don't say where you are so we don't even know what is applicable. But I'm pretty sure that no building code applies. They deal with things like stove clearances, electrical, and other such safety issues.

The interesting thing is why they would do this or why you're so bothered by it. The builder isn't really saving anything, unless raising the cabinets lets him entirely eliminate building the soffits over the top, which may be the case. But it does give the kitchen a more airy look and gives you more clearance for appliances. It might also give you the opportunity to build some nice under-shelf lighting to enhance that airy look even more! The only real downside is that things might be a bit harder to reach on the top shelf.

I saw somewhere that a common standard for counter-to-bottom of cabinet clearance is 18". I just measured mine out of curiosity (fairly new house) and they are 19 1/8". It's not something I would ever have even thought about normally.

carly
@telus.net

carly

Anon

You bet it's harder to reach! Can only reach the bottom shelf. Need a stool to reach the 2nd shelf and a step ladder to reach the top shelf.

So, it may look nice, but for me and other average height females, it is not functional at all. I either have to have it reno'd after I'm moved in (the builder states "he does not do custom work") or find myself a tall room mate!