All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
burnside
join:2012-06-19

burnside

Router Periodically Loses Connection

I am actually with Frontier now since they bought out the Verizon lines in my area a couple years back. The equipment is still the same. I am using the original 9100EM Westell router/modem that was given to me back in 2008. The problem is that I think is happening is that the router loses the internet connection once the allocated IP changes. Now I am still able to receive my TV from that same line, but the internet connection is dead. It can take up to 10 hours for an internet connection to come back.

Any ideas what may be going on?
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Post your transceiver stats so we can take a look at them? They can usually be found under the statistics screen on your modem/router.
burnside

burnside

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hmmm, can't really find those stats. I attached some screenshots of what I do see. See anything there that I should follow?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to Crookshanks

MVM

to Crookshanks
burnside has FiOS. He won't find Transceiver Statistics because of that.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to burnside

Premium Member

to burnside
I don't think this thread should've been moved here, being that all the equipment and infrastructure is FiOS.
burnside

burnside

Yeah, that's why I started in the Fios board. There's a method to the madness, lol.

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm to burnside

Premium Member

to burnside
There isn't a separate discussion area for Frontier FiOS versus other HSI. There's not enough of any one group of us.

That said, it sounds like you need a new router. What happens if you power cycle it during an outage?
burnside

burnside

Power cycle does nothing. I'll even leave it off for about 20 minutes and then plug everything back in and still no internet connection even though I get my TV feed from the same line.

If I do need a new router, is there something I can buy? This Westell router is also a modem though. Don't know if I can just pick something up from Amazon or if I'm forced to get something from Frontier.

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

Do you have your own ONT (since you subscribed in 2008, it'll be a box on the wall that says Verizon, with a battery underneath, and plugged in somewhere)? If so, what do the lights on the ONT look like when the Internet service is down versus when it is up? I forget what they all are--I'm on a shared ONT, so I can't go check mine--but I think either "Network" or "Data" should be blinking green if you have a data connection, and red if there's a problem.

If a power cycle doesn't help, I don't think it's your router. Where are you located? I know some people were having problems late last year where Internet service would die (Frontier called it a "PON card failure") but TV would stay up. This was primarily in Everett and Bothell, IIRC.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to burnside

MVM

to burnside
said by burnside:

Power cycle (the router) does nothing.

Try rebooting your ONT.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I reboot the ONT?