Search similar:

uniqs
KingKuei6
join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA

1 edit

KingKuei6

[IPv6] Time Capsule (AEBS) does not pull IPv6 Address

I have a Motorola SB6120 that I connected directly to my computer to verify that I am in an IPv6-activated area. My computer shows a /128 address, which makes sense, but my understanding is that Comcast is handing out /64 pools. So with the modem then attached to my Time Capsule (F/W 7.6.1), the TC should distribute unique /128 addresses out of that pool to my devices, right?

The problem is that I run my SB6120 to the Time Capsule. Even after power cycling, the TC does not appear to acquire an IPv6 address, nor does it distribute IPv6 to my devices. Here are the scenarios:

1) SB6120 attached directly to computer. Native dual-stack works. Both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are assigned to the computer. Test-ipv6.com reports 100% functionality.

2) SB6120 attached to TC, which is set to configure IPv6 automatically, and IPv6 set to NATIVE mode. DHCP and NAT are both active. My local devices receive 192.168.1.x addresses from the TC and able to browse the IPv4 web, but absolutely no IPv6 abilities.

3) SB6120 attached to TC, which is set to configure IPv6 automatically, and IPv6 set to NATIVE mode. DHCP and NAT turned off, and TC set to Bridge Mode. No IPv4 or IPv6 addresses are assigned to my local devices and I am not able to access either IPv4 or IPv6 Internet.

I have the option of manually configuring IPv6 on the TC, if I input the proper address and default route. I assume the address should end in /64 so that the TC recognizes that I am distributing a pool of IPv6 addresses, but I'm not sure how to format the address to make that happen.

I have a number of devices that are currently using IPv4 DHCP reservation. So the ideal setup would be for DHCP+NAT on IPv4 while simultaneously having IPv6 /64 addresses distributed to my local devices that can utilize it. My understanding is that the Apple TC is capable of handling this, so I must be configuring something wrong.

Please help!
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk

Re: Time Capsule (AEBS) does not pull IPv6 Address

I've tried it with F/W 7.6.1 (AirPort Utility 5.6) and it just worked.

IPv6 Mode: Router
Configure IPv6: Automatically
IPv6 Firewall: ON

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· ile_id=2
KingKuei6
Union City, CA

KingKuei6

Thank you so much for your post. I have a 2nd-gen TC, which was released mid 2009. I don't have IPv6 router mode, only Native and Tunnel. Looking at Wikipedia, the Airport Extreme released in LATE-2009 supports IPv6 router mode, so it's possible that my TC from mid-2009 doesn't do it.

Real bummer as a TC is a rather expensive piece of equipment to replace, especially when it's working fine other than for lack of IPv6 address assignment.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Yeah Apple has been said to reverse its IPv6 support with the 6.0 stuff, maybe a total reset might clear the cobwebs from 6.0 to 6.1 if something isn't sticking? »www.networkworld.com/new ··· 241.html
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

1 edit

Daemon to KingKuei6

Premium Member

to KingKuei6
said by KingKuei6:

Thank you so much for your post. I have a 2nd-gen TC, which was released mid 2009. I don't have IPv6 router mode, only Native and Tunnel. Looking at Wikipedia, the Airport Extreme released in LATE-2009 supports IPv6 router mode, so it's possible that my TC from mid-2009 doesn't do it.

Real bummer as a TC is a rather expensive piece of equipment to replace, especially when it's working fine other than for lack of IPv6 address assignment.

Are you sure you are on the latest firmware for the device, and are using a newer version of the utility (5.6 or 6.1)?

I haven't seen the term 'Native' used in any recent version of the utility- just router/host/link-local or 'enable IPv6 connection sharing' in version 6.1.

The issues in Mike Wolf See Profile's link in version 6.0 of the utility were fixed and re-added to version 6.1 a week ago. Since you're seeing IPv6 settings in your version, it's not 6.0.
KingKuei6
Union City, CA

KingKuei6

Hey Guys. I thought this was an issue limited just to my 2nd-gen TC not having IPv6 ROUTER mode. However, I happen to have a 5th-gen Airport Extreme as well, which is definitely supposed to have that mode and it doesn't show up either under AUv6.1. The firmware is 7.6.1 on both my 2nd-gen TC and my 5th-gen AE. Since Apple was supposed to have added back all the IPv6 functions in AUv6.1, I didn't think to try AUv5.6 again, and voila! sure enough, I do see "Router" mode on my 5th-gen AE.

I will have to try AUv5.6 with my 2nd-gen TC tonight to see if that mode shows up or not. Again, it's still possible that my TC doesn't support native dual-stack.
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

the name of the setting is 'enable IPv6 connection sharing' or something like that in AU 6.1. It's the 'router' setting you found in AU 5.6. In 6.1, it should be under the internet tab.

They sort of mixed the ipv6 settings all around AU 6.1, but they should be all there

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Oswego, IL

Tibby

Premium Member

5th gen AE does support comcast's IPv6. Just need to use utility 5.6 and follow comcast's guide.
KingKuei6
Union City, CA

KingKuei6

said by Tibby:

5th gen AE does support comcast's IPv6. Just need to use utility 5.6 and follow comcast's guide.

Ya but I'm trying to get it working under my 2nd-Gen TC.
pappasbike
join:2005-02-18
Baltimore, MD

1 edit

pappasbike to KingKuei6

to KingKuei6
said by KingKuei6:

I don't believe Comcast actually has IPv6 active in my area of Baltimore so Native will not work but if you select Tunnel, which will get that 6 to 4 function, it should work fine. I have the same router as you and I get all the ipv6 sites to load as well as getting all clear on that test site. I also have the 6.1 Airport Utility. the setting is under Internet, then internet options.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by pappasbike:

I don't believe Comcast actually has IPv6 active in my area of Baltimore so Native will not work but if you select Tunnel, which will get that 6 to 4 function, it should work fine. I have the same router as you and I get all the ipv6 sites to load as well as getting all clear on that test site. I also have the 6.1 Airport Utility. the setting is under Internet, then internet options.

If you private message NetDog »/profi ··· e/595300 with your cable modem mac address, he will be able to tell you if your CMTS support v6.

I know the burbs around Baltimore have v6 enabled.
pappasbike
join:2005-02-18
Baltimore, MD

pappasbike

I've been following that map and I do see several areas of Maryland shown around me, but none in Baltimore yet. My Airport Extreme does not show an IPv6 DNS server obtained from Comcast yet so I believe that's why Tunnel works where Native does not.
KingKuei6
Union City, CA

1 recommendation

KingKuei6

Re: [IPv6] Time Capsule (AEBS) does not pull IPv6 Address

Thanks everyone for your replies!

So I can now confirm that the 2nd-gen TC does NOT support DHCPv6-PD, which is why I was not pulling IPv6 addresses from it. I already confirmed that I am in an IPv6 area by hooking up my modem directly to my computer, where I was successfully assigned both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

With the 2nd-gen TC (F/W 7.6.1) and using both AUv6.1 and AUv5.6 for Lion, I am not able to configure the TC for "Router Mode" (v5.6), nor able to "Enable IPv6 Connection Sharing" (v6.1). Those options either don't appear (v5.6) or are grayed out (v6.1).

Well... I've been itching to get a new Time Capsule anyway. The newest model uses a Broadcom chipset and has higher power output. I'm open to receiving community donations. :-D
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon to KingKuei6

Premium Member

to KingKuei6
Just buy an airport extreme then use the time capsule to 'extend the network' the airport extreme creates. IPv6, and expanded WiFi coverage!