Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to newcust123

MVM

to newcust123

Re: free or low cost voip with caller id.

Indeed, extensions are irrelevant here. For the requirement of "make and receive local calls", you need a DID and termination service. Real PBX rips you off for that, charging many times more for even the most basic service.
petercarlos
join:2012-03-14

petercarlos

Hi Guspaz,
I am a little confused with the services of Voip.ms. Do they offer a PBX system or they provide only VOIP? And how do they configure the DIDs. I mean where can one actually receive an incoming call to a DID? And what do I require for the initial startup with Voip.ms?
zorxd
join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC

zorxd

They do not provide your own, private PBX. However, many features of a PBX are there. You can create sub accounts (either SIP or IAX2). And you can assign internal extensions to these sub accounts if you want to.
You can choose where your DID(s) rings. For most people it will ring their main SIP account. However you could also have a ring group, or an IVR (phone menu).

For the initial startup you usually only need a voip phone (either softphone, ATA, hard SIP phone). You must deposit $25 which will be used as pre-paid money.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to petercarlos

MVM

to petercarlos
voip.ms provides a hosted PBX solution, basically (don't need a DID, since accounts are free to register, but without a DID or SIP URI, you'd have no way to call into the system). You can set up all the routing stuff yourself through their web interface. For example, for our convention we set up an automated menu that can take voicemail and forward it via e-mail.

You can create an account for free and poke around in the web interface for configuring all this.
petercarlos
join:2012-03-14

petercarlos to zorxd

to zorxd
This $ 25 is some type of security money that one has to deposit or is it an advance payment for the services? The calling cost will be apart from this or is it included?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by petercarlos:

This $ 25 is some type of security money that one has to deposit or is it an advance payment for the services? The calling cost will be apart from this or is it included?

Advance payment, account balance that you chip away at whilst using the services.

I configured my account to send me an email whenever I get lower than $X dollars so I can top up via PayPal.

The best bang I've ever gotten for my buck, ever.

Mike