Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmdomini
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Sycamore, IL

Parking at Elgin Big Timber Metra?

Need to head into downtown Chicago for work next Tuesday, and we'll be having to do so more frequently now .

Last time I made the drive on a weekday via I-90 it took me over two hours. So I was thinking of driving to Big Timber in Elgin and taking the train from there.

Anyone here take the train from that station and can speak to what the parking situation would be like at roughly 6:00A? I checked out the lot one Saturday and it seems like it's pretty small and could fill up fast.

My other option would be Elburn. However the train schedule there is pretty limited and I don't know about the parking there either. Checked it out that same Saturday and the lot was pretty well full, which was surprising.

Any information that y'all can provide is appreciated! I'd hate to get there on Tuesday only to find that all the parking spaces are taken.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

The first thing to check is to see if a permit is required to park at Big Timber or Elburn, and if so, see if any permits are available.

If it is possible, I would suggest that you do what I did and have someone drop you off at the station, then pick you up when you get back.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
reply to jmdomini

Peope from Sycamore used to take Plank Road to US 20 and board the train at National Street in Elgin. National Street is just north of US 20 at Rt. 31 and has plenty of parking, especially before the 6:10 train. NAtional Street also has more trains stopping there. The fee is prepaid cash box. Bring quarters. I think it is $1.50.

jmdomini
Premium
Sycamore, IL

That's a good suggestion StepR, thanks. I'm surprised to see checking the distance in Google Maps that it's actually a few miles closer to go to National Street than Big Timber even though it's further east. I guess that jog north on either Rt. 47 or Randall Rd. to Big Timber negates the east west difference.

uteck

join:2009-12-30
reply to jmdomini

I usually park in the garage at Spring street which is free and has spots for 10 hour parking, then walk the 2 blocks to the Chicago street station. I think every train stops at Chicago street.
--
no .sig found, please restart your browser.

jmdomini
Premium
Sycamore, IL
reply to StepR

Just wanted to say thanks again. Did my trip today via National St. and it worked out great. Google maps said it would take 45 minutes, so I allowed an hour to give time for getting lost. Ending up taking me 30 and had no problems finding the station or parking and was able to take an earlier train than planned. Took the 3:30 train home and only ran into some light traffic headed back to Sycamore.

said by StepR:

Peope from Sycamore used to take Plank Road to US 20 and board the train at National Street in Elgin. National Street is just north of US 20 at Rt. 31 and has plenty of parking, especially before the 6:10 train. NAtional Street also has more trains stopping there. The fee is prepaid cash box. Bring quarters. I think it is $1.50.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
reply to jmdomini

Next time you will have to stay a little later and date the beer train home.

Hesher
Premium
join:2002-09-26
Sycamore, IL
reply to jmdomini

I usually take the Metra from Elburn....TONS of parking.

The last time I went Big Timber was a couple of years ago, but I didn't head out until about 11:00 am. I had to park at the far end of the lot. Paid for parking by putting money in a drop box assigned to that spot (so remember your parking spot or you'll have to walk all the way back to your car.