Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt

Re: Code enforcement demolishes House next door

said by John Galt:

We burn them down here...training for the FD.

The TFD already received training at this house.... twice.... it was just unscheduled training...
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to robbin
Click for full size
Click for full size
Actually, having been inside it, it needed new drywall and cabinets and countertop in the kitchen, new ceiling in the kitchen, new drywall and ceiling in the Den and smoke cleanup and vandalism repair. It was structurally sound, the plumbing and wiring hadn't been ripped out by copper thieves. It still had some furniture, clothing, and tons of trash and junk in it. A rolloff and a couple days of elbow grease cleaning it out would make it look a lot better.

I'm not familiar with how you clean up smoke damage, but it needed that throughout the home, and of course new carpeting, etc. It was fixable, or so I thought, especially if you had the know how to do it yourself. Windows were broken out by vandals and firemen, and the front and back doors had been kicked in repeatedly and needed repair.

Still, it was salvageable IMHO if the property could have been picked up for very cheap. My guess is the liens and back taxes made it not economically viable.

Picture shows fire damage in the kitchen.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to KrK
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Found some more of my pictures. This is the hallway leading to bedrooms and bathroom off the main kitchen/Den area. Note the smoke damage, and the holes in the wall the vandals made.

Also note, however, the structural wood framing, in excellent condition. The whole house was that way. Even the places where the fire damaged the ceiling and the firemen pulled it down, the wood framing was almost undamaged. The photo I took of the Den ceiling (the one with insulation hanging down) showed the worst of the charring but didn't come out very well. (It was dark in there, sorry about the bad photos.)

I also included a photo from a bedroom that shows some of the smoke damage and junk typical in the rest of the home.

Bah, it seems like such a waste to me.
--

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

I've turned a few turds into diamonds. From the description and looks of that place. The best you'd get from that turd would be coal.

I've seen houses in worse condition go for over 100k around here in the Seattle area, in auctions. On the other side of the Cascades anywhere between 10k - 100k, depending on location. If someone can do drywall, fixing up a home like this is not that expensive.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to robbin
Click for full size
said by robbin:

I looked real closely at the pics and I can't see a sidewalk on either side. Where is it in the pics?

It's right between the two properties.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by Critsmcgee:

It's right between the two properties.

in my town we had quite a few of those, due to the above mentionned issues they have gotten rid of most of them, there was a street that was shaped like a letter P, it had 3 of these pedestrian cut throughs at various locations, all have been removed now.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

This is you big opportunity to buy the vacant lot @ a firesale price and put up that big swimming pool you've always wanted.

The city of Dayton has a "program" of that sort. KrK should check into Tulsa's offerings to see if there's something similar. Or, just make an offer. Remember, the city likely has to maintain the property and just mowing the grass (by the city) is money they'd probably prefer not to spend.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

The house which was destroyed can no way be classified as urban renewal.

You'd be amazed at what can be done in the name of urban renewal. The next town over declared that a bunch of land which never had anything built on it to be "blighted", took over the land, then turned it over to a developer who built a 900,000 sq ft shopping mall.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
reply to KrK
In the discussion about economically recovering the house...
remember that the house had already been sold to a flipping firm who abandoned it.

I suspect they found out something about the house that made it not worthwhile to flip (e.g. drugs manufactured in the house if the son was a "gangbanger" type). And that was before the arson and vandalism.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
My understanding is they went out of business when the housing market crashed.

Probably got caught holding a lot of property when the crunch came and they folded.
--

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to KrK
While some houses can be sold to "somebody" for rehab, that's not true everywhere. Detroit has held several distressed property auctions where people could bid for ANY price, taxes forgiven, if they intended to fix them up. Many, many places had no bids placed at all, not even $1. Sometimes it's just not worth it and the track hoe is the only option.

Oh, and all of the no-bid houses weren't derelicts, either. Just no market for them given the neighborhoods and economics. If it takes $50,000 to fix a place up to code and you couldn't get $40,000 for it, what to do is pretty clear.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by garys_2k:

Oh, and all of the no-bid houses weren't derelicts, either. Just no market for them given the neighborhoods and economics. If it takes $50,000 to fix a place up to code and you couldn't get $40,000 for it, what to do is pretty clear.

Renting out can be an option in some places.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
said by aurgathor:

Renting out can be an option in some places.

Definitely true, I guess in these cases not enough professional landlords/developers thought they were even worth that. Imagine, a (practically) free house, no back tax bills, and nobody was interested. Pretty sad.

Nick_L
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Critsmcgee
Does this park area end at your property line or does it continue behind the property in question? I was thinking, perhaps an agreement with the neighbor on the far side (and the city) could be worked out. Move the "right of way" to the middle of the now vacant property. You get rid of the "traffic" right next to your home and both you and the neighbor would gain some extra green space. Of course the property would have to be purchased and the details worked out with the city, blah, blah, blah, but it might be worth looking into if you plan on staying there for a period of time.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to garys_2k
Well... it was Detroit....

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to Nick_L
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is what it looks like now.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Whoever paid them to clear and "clean" the lot should demand a refund on some of the money. That is a lousy job of clearing and leveling the lot.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to KrK
Much better! I don't think they did such a bad job, all things considered.

I know everyone has been saying "buy the lot" - do you actually have any interest in purchasing the lot?

Judging from the neighbors houses, it looks like a well established neighborhood where someone might be interested in building again.
--
...because I care.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to iknow
Apparently someone did not read the same story I did and it was not 'stolen' for not mowing the grass. If you lived next to the mess described and lowering YOUR home values....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Whoever paid them to clear and "clean" the lot should demand a refund on some of the money. That is a lousy job of clearing and leveling the lot.

It isn't like a new house is immediately going back in there. Foundation-grade leveling is overkill for an empty lot. Would you want your tax dollars to pay for a "perfectly graded" empty lot?
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Fronkman:

said by Jack_in_VA:

It isn't like a new house is immediately going back in there. Foundation-grade leveling is overkill for an empty lot. Would you want your tax dollars to pay for a "perfectly graded" empty lot?

I was more referring to the unsightly weeds and other vegetation the failed to remove. Look closely at the four pictures:

»Re: Code enforcement demolishes House next door

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded. Otherwise it's just going to be an overgrown weed and junk tree eyesore. They could have left the house there if that's the case.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
Squatters can't live in weeds and trees (well, I guess they can). An empty lot isn't a fire or safety hazard.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded.

Probably not part of the demolition contractors contract.

Fronkman
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
said by John Galt:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded.

Probably not part of the demolition contractors contract.

I don't know, I hired a demolition contractor to do my landscaping...
--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
said by Fronkman:

I don't know, I hired a demolition contractor to do my landscaping...

Well then, that was part of his contract. As to the demo contractor in the discussion, probably not.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Squatters can't live in weeds and trees (well, I guess they can). An empty lot isn't a fire or safety hazard.

True but that lot compared to the rest of the neighborhood is an eyesore.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Less of an eyesore than the house. When communities take down buildings - they need to do it as cheap as possible. They are going to require full landscaping unless you and your friends would like to pay a lot more in taxes.

Especially in communities that have a lot of houses than need to be taken down.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to KrK
Might be a good opportunity for a community garden...

There are public spaces on both sides, with a public access walkway. It is low-impact and looks better than 'weeds'. If the lot sells, then there is no big deal bulldozing the garden and building.

We have that here on many lots that are undeveloped...property owners here are pretty good about going along with that.

Just a thought...
--
»www.archive.org/details/Meatpies_1984

magnetron

join:2006-09-10
said by John Galt:

There are public spaces on both sides, with a public access walkway. It is low-impact and looks better than 'weeds'. If the lot sells, then there is no big deal bulldozing the garden and building.

It's funny that you bring that up. I just saw a story about a woman that is suing Tulsa over the removal of her garden by code enforcement.

»www.newson6.com/story/18802728/w···e-garden

Fronkman
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
Click for full size
said by magnetron:

said by John Galt:

It's funny that you bring that up. I just saw a story about a woman that is suing Tulsa over the removal of her garden by code enforcement.

»www.newson6.com/story/18802728/w···e-garden

That is a really odd story.

I don't understand why there would be an ordinance against plants over 12 inches tall. I can understand that people don't want overgrown poorly maintained yards, but based on the "before and after" pictures in that article, the "after" looks WAY worse.

It looks like they used highly unmotivated teenagers to do the gardening...
--