Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Re: Code enforcement demolishes House next door

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's some recent "Before" photos taken just a couple of weeks ago (around the time the city put the last abatement warning up.)

While it's good to have the eyesore removed, it's also saddening. The photos don't show it but this was a larger home, and it sat on a huge wedge shaped lot that's much bigger then mine and probably the largest in the neighborhood. Built in the late 60's, it was well built, the ceiling joists were 2x12's, for example.

I'd been inside it. The fire damage was largely superficial, limited to drywall and cabinets, and the whole house had smoke damage, but there was no structural damage, it just was a huge mess. Amazingly, nobody had stolen the copper---- the home's wiring, plumbing, and HVAC was all intact.

Such a waste, really.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by KrK:

..... it sat on a huge wedge shaped lot that's much bigger then mine and probably the largest in the neighborhood.

This is you big opportunity to buy the vacant lot @ a firesale price and put up that big swimming pool you've always wanted.

That, or you'll soon be living next to a dumping ground for everyone's trash.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Checking into the Tulsa law it's apparent the city would not have demolished the home unless they had already taken ownership of the property.

This explains the long delay. The process goes on something like this:

Property owners are absent and don't maintain property. City puts abatement notices up which aren't complied with. City levies fines and puts liens on the property (Back taxes, abatement.)

The properties sit and over time get more fines and more back taxes, they no longer will sell in any auction due to the liens.

Eventually the city takes ownership of the property, and then cleans it up (demolishes the eyesore.) This will also clear the liens and back taxes, it seems. (Not 100% sure on this but I doubt the city will fine itself.)

Under the law you cannot use adverse possession to take control of city property.

What will happen at some point down the road is the city will conduct a surplus property auction and the now empty lot will be sold.
KrK

KrK to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Yeah, it sounds like a great idea. There's a slight wrinkle to that idea--- there's a sidewalk between the property and mine that accesses the park behind us. So unfortunately even if I did own the lot next door it would be a separate lot, no just fencing it in as a huge yard, for example. If available cheap it would still be an attractive idea, however.... the separate lot issue could trip you up in another way, as in neighborhood covenants.

While building a workshop or a pool or etc on your large home lot isn't much a problem, having a lot without a home and trying to use it for some alternative use (think a large garage) is likely a violation of covenants concerning lot usage.

Then there's the issue of having a public right of way in the middle of your yard. Bah.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I say buy the lot
sell your home and build a beter home on the larger lot.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
I don't know the layout of the park etc. but I do wonder if you were to come into ownership of the land, if the city would let you trade the ROW for a new one on the 'far side' of the lot - in other words, give you back the 6' wide (or whatever) strip of land between the lots in exchange for a 6' wide strip at the edge of the empty lot, thus allowing you full usage of the lot.

Not sure what your plans are, but might be worth a discussion with the town if you're serious.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

I wondered that myself. It would be lot larger strip as it would have to dogleg around the new property. Also, I'm not sure the 3 homes on that side of that lot would like the access-way next to them. I don't like it next to me now. When I moved in here I thought it was cool but since learned I really don't like the traffic it brings---- my fence gets graffiti on it, litter and trash gets discarded there or even thrown over my fence..... People walk across my lawn and driveway taking "short cuts" to the park access, and bicyclists zoom across my driveway while I'm backing out from the garage--- guess what would happen if I hit one of them. It's a security problem, as well.... kind of reminds me of the old apartment days---- you live there, yet the public has access to your property. A lot of people are very inconsiderate these days.

I'd LOVE to just close off the access and make people go around to the park street but I'm sure the neighborhood would be pissed. I'd probably get sued and lose. :P
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow

Premium Member

said by KrK:

I wondered that myself. It would be lot larger strip as it would have to dogleg around the new property. Also, I'm not sure the 3 homes on that side of that lot would like the access-way next to them. I don't like it next to me now. When I moved in here I thought it was cool but since learned I really don't like the traffic it brings---- my fence gets graffiti on it, litter and trash gets discarded there or even thrown over my fence..... People walk across my lawn and driveway taking "short cuts" to the park access, and bicyclists zoom across my driveway while I'm backing out from the garage--- guess what would happen if I hit one of them. It's a security problem, as well.... kind of reminds me of the old apartment days---- you live there, yet the public has access to your property. A lot of people are very inconsiderate these days.

I'd LOVE to just close off the access and make people go around to the park street but I'm sure the neighborhood would be pissed. I'd probably get sued and lose. :P

and yet the city demolishes a house that had violations!. too bad they don't take your problems more seriously as they should, you live there the other house was empty!. have you checked to see if that right of way was done legally, or just done by somebody without proper paperwork?.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to KrK

Mod

to KrK
I looked real closely at the pics and I can't see a sidewalk on either side. Where is it in the pics?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

Then there's the issue of having a public right of way in the middle of your yard. Bah.

Do a right-of-way 'swap' as a condition of purchase.
Get rid of the park access between the two properties and move it to the far side of the now vacant lot.
Then you should be able to do whatever is necessary to 'combine' the lots on title and for occupancy purposes.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to robbin

to robbin
Click for full size
said by robbin:

I looked real closely at the pics and I can't see a sidewalk on either side. Where is it in the pics?

It's right between the two properties.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Critsmcgee:

It's right between the two properties.

in my town we had quite a few of those, due to the above mentionned issues they have gotten rid of most of them, there was a street that was shaped like a letter P, it had 3 of these pedestrian cut throughs at various locations, all have been removed now.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

This is you big opportunity to buy the vacant lot @ a firesale price and put up that big swimming pool you've always wanted.

The city of Dayton has a "program" of that sort. KrK should check into Tulsa's offerings to see if there's something similar. Or, just make an offer. Remember, the city likely has to maintain the property and just mowing the grass (by the city) is money they'd probably prefer not to spend.

Nick_L
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA

Nick_L to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
Does this park area end at your property line or does it continue behind the property in question? I was thinking, perhaps an agreement with the neighbor on the far side (and the city) could be worked out. Move the "right of way" to the middle of the now vacant property. You get rid of the "traffic" right next to your home and both you and the neighbor would gain some extra green space. Of course the property would have to be purchased and the details worked out with the city, blah, blah, blah, but it might be worth looking into if you plan on staying there for a period of time.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is what it looks like now.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Whoever paid them to clear and "clean" the lot should demand a refund on some of the money. That is a lousy job of clearing and leveling the lot.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to KrK

MVM

to KrK
Much better! I don't think they did such a bad job, all things considered.

I know everyone has been saying "buy the lot" - do you actually have any interest in purchasing the lot?

Judging from the neighbors houses, it looks like a well established neighborhood where someone might be interested in building again.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Fronkman to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Whoever paid them to clear and "clean" the lot should demand a refund on some of the money. That is a lousy job of clearing and leveling the lot.

It isn't like a new house is immediately going back in there. Foundation-grade leveling is overkill for an empty lot. Would you want your tax dollars to pay for a "perfectly graded" empty lot?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Fronkman:

said by Jack_in_VA:

It isn't like a new house is immediately going back in there. Foundation-grade leveling is overkill for an empty lot. Would you want your tax dollars to pay for a "perfectly graded" empty lot?

I was more referring to the unsightly weeds and other vegetation the failed to remove. Look closely at the four pictures:

»Re: Code enforcement demolishes House next door

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded. Otherwise it's just going to be an overgrown weed and junk tree eyesore. They could have left the house there if that's the case.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Squatters can't live in weeds and trees (well, I guess they can). An empty lot isn't a fire or safety hazard.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded.

Probably not part of the demolition contractors contract.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Fronkman

Premium Member

said by John Galt6:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I also think that it should have been graded and seeded.

Probably not part of the demolition contractors contract.

I don't know, I hired a demolition contractor to do my landscaping...

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by Fronkman:

I don't know, I hired a demolition contractor to do my landscaping...

Well then, that was part of his contract. As to the demo contractor in the discussion, probably not.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

Squatters can't live in weeds and trees (well, I guess they can). An empty lot isn't a fire or safety hazard.

True but that lot compared to the rest of the neighborhood is an eyesore.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Less of an eyesore than the house. When communities take down buildings - they need to do it as cheap as possible. They are going to require full landscaping unless you and your friends would like to pay a lot more in taxes.

Especially in communities that have a lot of houses than need to be taken down.