spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON

[OC] Getting the max out of an old VIA motherboard.

Click for full size
CPU-Z and GPU-Z
Click for full size
cooling
How can I push my old motherboard to the max to get the most speed out of it? Overclocking in the BIOS is limited, can change the bus speed (default 200Mhz), raise the voltages for RAM and AGP.
I manage to push the CPU to 3.28Ghz (205x16=3280) from 3.20Ghz to get an dual-core game going smoothly.
Specs:
CPU: Pentium 4 540J (Multiplier x16, Bus 200Mhz, FSB 800FSB)
RAM: 2x1024MB DDR2 800 PC2-6400
Video: All in wonder Radeon X800 AGP
Mobo: 775Dual-880Pro »www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/775Dual-880Pro/
Here is an review on this board that I found. »www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a···45&num=1

The motherboard can only run the RAM at 333Mhz, I guess thats the max speed that the board can run? Can I push it to run the RAM at 400Mhz?

I don't know if this makes a difference but I changed IDE driving strength from normal to highest, AGP aperture size from 64MB to 128MB, V-link speed from normal to high
Is there anything more I can do? I don't really care if I kill this thing, its just a spare parts box that I made.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
What does raising the RAM and AGP voltages do anyway? Does that boost the speeds?

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to robman50
You would boost the FSB speed while keeping your ram and agp speed as close to default as possible.

You have probably reached the max that board can give you already.

Truth is you would get better performance increase switching to core 2duo q6600 or something similar.

Just be sure your can support the processor.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
and thats why I just built an new system with the core i5 2500k and 6gb ram. but then I don't want to scrap the old system if it still works.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
said by robman50:

and thats why I just built an new system with the core i5 2500k and 6gb ram. but then I don't want to scrap the old system if it still works.

that and I still have tons of old IDE drives that still work. I might have up to 1TB of HDD storage in like 10 different hard drives. lol

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to robman50
is there any thing I can do with the ram timings in the bios or should I have it all on auto?

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Aranarth
The FSB keeps bouncing between 840 - 851Mhz since I raised the bus speed up to 210Mhz. Also the DRAM frequency is sitting around 351Mhz. CPU speed is up to 3.37Ghz and running idle at 42C. Mind you I got the air conditioner on and its nice and cool in here.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to robman50
Is there a way to boost the speed of the IDE hard drive so programs load quicker?

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to robman50
The biggest thing that will affect the machine's performance (motherboard only) is the
processor speed
next FSB speed
Then ram speed

BUT looking at performance from a system performance level when playing games the video card is the biggest bottleneck.

There really isn't anything you can do to speed hd when using IDE. You can improve access beyond a single drive by using a raid array either striped or raid 5. I would recommend raid 5 and use at least 4 drives. If you have raid built in to the main board that will work fine.

Switching to win7 64bit and slapping in 8 gig of ram can also help improve system performance.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
Well I do have an PCIE x4 slot on the motherboard so I can pull the X800 AGP and put in the X800 PCIE. But since its the same GPU I doubt it would do anything.
With this motherboard having a max of 2GB (DDR or DDR2) its kind of maxed at 2GB all ready with my DDR667 sticks.
I have an VIA SATA RAID controller on this thing but I don't have any spare SATA drives.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
reply to robman50
Then you have done all you can.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
This motherboard does suck for overclocking but it does get the job done.
Must be so limited because its an hybrid model. DDR/DDR2, AGP and PCIE. Oh well, thats why I replaced it because I maxed it out.