BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

How do you backup your local data?

In prep for the next "how to" post I'm curious what you guys/gals are currently using to backup your important local data. If you don't backup your data please reply with that as well.

Thanks

Cisco Kid
@bhn.net

Cisco Kid

Anon

I backup to a Thumb drive. I am guessing where this is going; BHN offering Backup Space.......maybe. Lets just say; nothing is fail-safe....look what happened to this Board last month. I am not meaning to be negative...but the truth be known.

simba1994
join:2002-02-10
Seminole, FL

simba1994 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I backup to 2 secondary internal hard drives, then about every 3 to 6 months, I backup to an external drive that I keep offsite in a safe deposit box.

I also keep photos/videos on sites such as Picasa.

I've looked into internet backup solutions, but since I have over 1TB of important photos, videos, scanned PDFs, etc. It would take a substantial amount of time and money to backup that amount of content to an online service.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I use the windows easy transfer feature in windows 7 when I get ready to reinstall my OS. Its great since all you gotta do is click on the easy transfer backup file to start the restoration process. You can choose anything on the computer to backup with it.
lrcollin
join:2010-08-08
Lake Mary, FL

lrcollin to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Automatic backups (daily incremental, weekly full) using NovaBACKUP software to a Buffalo NAS unit. Additional copies of critical files copied to memory stick. Desktop PC running Windows 7.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to Cisco Kid

to Cisco Kid
This isnt an advertising site, I doubt hes asking because they are going to offer it.

Actually, now that I think of it.. doesnt your RR.com email account have some free remote backup space??
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Cisco Kid

Premium Member

to Cisco Kid
said by Cisco Kid :

I backup to a Thumb drive. I am guessing where this is going; BHN offering Backup Space.......maybe. Lets just say; nothing is fail-safe....look what happened to this Board last month. I am not meaning to be negative...but the truth be known.

And you would guessing wrong...read my opening paragraph again for the intent of the question please and yes stop being so negative about folks intents...especially mine. Thanks.

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
All data is save to folders on my Google drive (80GB), the Google drive folder is inside of my dropbox folder (100GB). In the event that either service goes down my data is still accessible.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I use multiple methods to backup local data, depending on it's importance:

Online backup (CrashPlan)
Online backup (Mozy)
Two local external hard drives
Second and third drive in my system
Flash Drive
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Please keep them coming...I'm gathering data until Friday on this...

meebers
@bhn.net

meebers

Anon

I use 2 alternating separate HDD's to clone the system using Casper. Favorites and My documents go to DVD's about once per month. Macrium to small external HDD usually before MS updates.
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

In prep for the next "how to" post I'm curious what you guys/gals are currently using to backup your important local data. If you don't backup your data please reply with that as well.

Thanks

I use Carbonite.com to automatically backup my data to the cloud. I do have a local external NAS but I prefer the unattended backup provided by an online solution (i.e., set it and forget it).
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Very interesting responses...seriously diverse which was a bit unexpected... Nobody so far has said they don't back up their data...interesting. Keep it coming please as its going to be an important part of something I'l be posting here for everyone.

AMejia1976
join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL

AMejia1976 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Raid-0
External HD Incremental
Important Would kill for files on a portable drive
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Of those of you using cloud based services are you paying or using just the free space they offer and if you are paying what level of service are you subscribing to and approx cost... thanks.

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg

Premium Member

I pay both for dropbox & Google storage. 1/2 of my Google storage is my picasa web albums & email (I also have a paid flickr acct with duplicates of all my pictures there). Have had dropbox for several years and never had an issue.

It's hard to complain when something is free, even harder still when it's free & you have a problem.

All my data that can't be replace by a OS / program re-install is at multiple points off site (in the cloud).

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I use two approaches. The first is a network drive and the second is offsite. I have a 2TB network drive connected to my ASUS N56U router. Both my computers and my wife's box backup data to that drive.

However, as that backup is onsite, it could be lost if the house is destroyed. Thus I also use "Carbonite" to automatically backup my data offsite. I have a 40/5 Internet connection so the incremental and automated backups are painless.

IMHO, it's worth the $ as it makes sure that our important data is stored in encrypted format offsite in case of a fire, flood, hurricane, etc. (I do live in Florida

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to tlg

Premium Member

to tlg
I too have dropbox but i use it mostly to backup some android related stuff. 7.4 out of the 9.4 GB I have was obtained for free, most of it through the auto camera upload feature that the app has on androids and now most recently the iOS.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I use Mozy home backup services for 4 Windows PC's - »mozy.com/home/

For my home PBX, it's a simple FTP server backup to DriveHQ - »drivehq.com/ - by far the simplest.

SouthLA
@cox.net

SouthLA to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
Multili layered. First, nightly incremental backups to a seperate internal drive. Weekly to an external drive. Annual drive image. AND Mosy online backup of all but video files.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
How About Some Security to go with your Cloud Storage. LOL

Link »twit.tv/show/security-now/349 Cloud Storage Solutions

Video »dts.podtrac.com/redirect ··· _500.mp4

Transcribed Show note's
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-349.htm
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-349.txt
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-349.pdf

Link »twit.tv/show/security-now/350 Twitter Feedback Q&A #142 / Cloud Security

Transcribed Show note's
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-350.htm
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-350.txt
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-350.pdf

Link »twit.tv/show/security-now/351 Back To The Cloud

Transcribed Show note's
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-351.htm
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-351.txt
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-351.pdf

Again Thank You to Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte for making Security Now Possible.

Enjoy Guys !

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to BHNtechXpert

MVM

to BHNtechXpert
It depends on what I am backing up.

I store the OS and programs on the C: drive/partition and use Acronis true image for Windows backups. Typically the target is an external drive but a network share also works.

To backup directories or complete non OS drive/partitions I use Robocopy to make the copy and XXCOPY (third party program not the same as XCOPY) to compare/verify the copies are valid (the verify takes roughly the same time as the copy). Depending on what I am backing up the target can be either an external drive or a network share.

For Linux OS partitions I use the Linux rsync command.

For Linux non OS partitions I use the Linux dd command.

For external drives USB 3.0 is my first choice for PCs with USB 3.0 contollers.

orlbh
@bhn.net

orlbh to bigdaddy

Anon

to bigdaddy
Dropbox and Google Drive.

How about some faster upload speeds so it doesn't take a week to do a full backup.
nelsonj3
join:2012-06-22
Lakeland, FL

nelsonj3 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I use Dropbox for my important files and documents. I use the free version, and I have increased my space to 13.8GB through some of their promotions.
I also have an external drive that I backup my documents and music in onsite.
Additionally, I have Itunes Match to store my music in the cloud. Makes it really convenient to save space on my iPhoone and iPad while downloading anything in my library I want to listen to.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Thank you guys please keep sharing. I'm going to continue gathering data through tomorrow and then start on the post. I think what's been most interesting is the diversity in your choices. I kind of expected there to be some grouping of the answers to one or another product but this just isn't the case which complicates things on my side a bit but thats my problem Keep it comin

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

Weekly base, plus nightly incremental image-based backups of 2 PCs to a 3rd PC with a RAID volume.

Every 2nd week, base backups uploaded to Amazon S3 storage (very inexpensive) to get it off-premises.
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
First, our computers (4 here) are all for personal use. 2 on a network are older computers for my wife and I. Nothing is considered 'valuable' other than pictures and video's. These would not be replaceable. Of course program license numbers as well. If the house would burn down these would be lost, as would be all our back-up solutions. We have made DVD copies and all 'family' videos and pictures are sent to our children, so there are dup's of most off-site.

As for the computers, we (wife and I) both use Norton's Ghost. I have W7 and use Ver. 15, and wife uses XP and Ver. 14 (as do the older computers on the LAN).

We do weekly back-ups, OS drive and data drives on different days. All machines have a 2nd (or 3rd) internal drive to hold the back-ups. We keep 5 iterations of each drive (partition), so if something were lost or accidentally deleted, we have about a month to recover it. If the machine should be infected, some files like the E-Mail Clients (all machines use Thunderbird) are copied off to the same back-up drive, using a boot disk if needed, to be restored after the back-up is for that drive, and others known to have changed since the last back-up are saved.

Randomly, the lastest drive back-up is also put on an external USB drive on the LAN that is attached to the router.

This has worked very well for me in the past, and in the last 10 years, I can't remember the exact number of complete drives I've needed to recover, but it was less that 10 probably. Ghost allows one to recover individual files from its back-ups, and maybe this has been done 10 times as well.

Pictures and videos (from our Camcorder) are burned to DVD occasionally and they are kept as well and can be restored. Older ones are always deleted from the computers to save space.

Not perfect in case of complete house loss, but so far, it works for me.

raymac
@bhn.net

raymac to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
Time Machine hourly incremental backup to an external drive. Carbon Copy clone to a different external drive weekly. Important financial data is backed up to 4 different external drives weekly. Photos are backed up to external drives and in the cloud. Music in the cloud.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I have a local hdd attached to my WD tv live, I used sync back to sync my important files to that. I also have a freenas box running in the basement. It syncs with both my computer and the TV live. It then shoots the data to 2 other freenas boxes using Rsync and my parents house and our business. The one as work syncs our work stuff every 2 hours, then once a day shoots it off to the parents house and my house. it works great

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to BHNtechXpert

MVM

to BHNtechXpert
I forgot to mention that if software comes on a CD or DVD (not a purchased downloaded file) I use ImgBurn to create an ISO file. I then install the software from the mounted ISO verifying that the ISO file is good.