»www.grc.com/sn/sn-350.txt
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-350.pdf

Link »twit.tv/show/security-now/351 Back To The Cloud

Video »dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twi ··· _500.mp4

Transcribed Show note's
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-351.htm
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-351.txt
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-351.pdf

Again Thank You to Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte for making Security Now Possible.

Enjoy Guys !

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
It depends on what I am backing up.

I store the OS and programs on the C: drive/partition and use Acronis true image for Windows backups. Typically the target is an external drive but a network share also works.

To backup directories or complete non OS drive/partitions I use Robocopy to make the copy and XXCOPY (third party program not the same as XCOPY) to compare/verify the copies are valid (the verify takes roughly the same time as the copy). Depending on what I am backing up the target can be either an external drive or a network share.

For Linux OS partitions I use the Linux rsync command.

For Linux non OS partitions I use the Linux dd command.

For external drives USB 3.0 is my first choice for PCs with USB 3.0 contollers.
--
Jim Anderson

orlbh

@bhn.net
reply to bigdaddy
Dropbox and Google Drive.

How about some faster upload speeds so it doesn't take a week to do a full backup.

nelsonj3

join:2012-06-22
Lakeland, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I use Dropbox for my important files and documents. I use the free version, and I have increased my space to 13.8GB through some of their promotions.
I also have an external drive that I backup my documents and music in onsite.
Additionally, I have Itunes Match to store my music in the cloud. Makes it really convenient to save space on my iPhoone and iPad while downloading anything in my library I want to listen to.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:159
reply to BHNtechXpert
Thank you guys please keep sharing. I'm going to continue gathering data through tomorrow and then start on the post. I think what's been most interesting is the diversity in your choices. I kind of expected there to be some grouping of the answers to one or another product but this just isn't the case which complicates things on my side a bit but thats my problem Keep it comin

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Weekly base, plus nightly incremental image-based backups of 2 PCs to a 3rd PC with a RAID volume.

Every 2nd week, base backups uploaded to Amazon S3 storage (very inexpensive) to get it off-premises.

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
kudos:1
reply to BHNtechXpert
First, our computers (4 here) are all for personal use. 2 on a network are older computers for my wife and I. Nothing is considered 'valuable' other than pictures and video's. These would not be replaceable. Of course program license numbers as well. If the house would burn down these would be lost, as would be all our back-up solutions. We have made DVD copies and all 'family' videos and pictures are sent to our children, so there are dup's of most off-site.

As for the computers, we (wife and I) both use Norton's Ghost. I have W7 and use Ver. 15, and wife uses XP and Ver. 14 (as do the older computers on the LAN).

We do weekly back-ups, OS drive and data drives on different days. All machines have a 2nd (or 3rd) internal drive to hold the back-ups. We keep 5 iterations of each drive (partition), so if something were lost or accidentally deleted, we have about a month to recover it. If the machine should be infected, some files like the E-Mail Clients (all machines use Thunderbird) are copied off to the same back-up drive, using a boot disk if needed, to be restored after the back-up is for that drive, and others known to have changed since the last back-up are saved.

Randomly, the lastest drive back-up is also put on an external USB drive on the LAN that is attached to the router.

This has worked very well for me in the past, and in the last 10 years, I can't remember the exact number of complete drives I've needed to recover, but it was less that 10 probably. Ghost allows one to recover individual files from its back-ups, and maybe this has been done 10 times as well.

Pictures and videos (from our Camcorder) are burned to DVD occasionally and they are kept as well and can be restored. Older ones are always deleted from the computers to save space.

Not perfect in case of complete house loss, but so far, it works for me.
--
Irv Spalten

raymac

@bhn.net
reply to BHNtechXpert
Time Machine hourly incremental backup to an external drive. Carbon Copy clone to a different external drive weekly. Important financial data is backed up to 4 different external drives weekly. Photos are backed up to external drives and in the cloud. Music in the cloud.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert
I have a local hdd attached to my WD tv live, I used sync back to sync my important files to that. I also have a freenas box running in the basement. It syncs with both my computer and the TV live. It then shoots the data to 2 other freenas boxes using Rsync and my parents house and our business. The one as work syncs our work stuff every 2 hours, then once a day shoots it off to the parents house and my house. it works great

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I forgot to mention that if software comes on a CD or DVD (not a purchased downloaded file) I use ImgBurn to create an ISO file. I then install the software from the mounted ISO verifying that the ISO file is good.
--
Jim Anderson

Skinny Pete

@bhn.net
reply to BHNtechXpert
External Hard drive and every few months I archive on BluRay media.

bgarson2008

join:2010-09-29
Windermere, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
1.All PC's backup nightly to WHS 2011.

2.WHS 2011 Backup every morning and evening to an External Drive. I have two external drives which are rotated out every week and placed in a fire safe.

3.All Data including PC backups on my WHS 2011 are backed up to the cloud instantaneously using CloudBerry and Amazon S3.

XenithOrb
Premium
join:2003-06-06
Palm Coast, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
If I had the money:

• 1 Norco 4U 24-bay rack mount
• 12 2TB WD20EARX in RAID6
• 2 Highpoint RockRAID 2720's (8 drives each)
• Your average AMD Opteron / SuperMicro server board
• Upgrade everything to 1Gbe, (10Gbe if rich!)
• (Major IF i had...) Off-site backup to similar server @ colo of choice.

What I do now:

Nothing really; fortunately I'm not too attached to anything.
Anything that's truly imperative is backed up in an nontraditional sense by way of being part of some silly cloud service already. (gmail, etc)

Also I realize RAID isn't, again, the traditional sense, a backup, but by using MDADM/LVM with that much storage you could implement some interesting rsync/snapshotting to another box.

Best possible scenario is to know someone like you who has decent server equipment, space to spare, and a decent internet connection for a price and conduct off-site backups to a eCryptfs partition or TrueCrypt image.

In the context of: What could BHN do to get me to pay for their storage? Nothing - I'm doing my best to move away from trusting large corporations with personal data. Money always being the primary issue in what's taking me so long; though I realize I'm probably not their target market. As much as I don't know, I'm still probably in a really really small group of people who aren't indoctrinated into trusting big business. Value in terms of Size/Dollar is imperative, but it's meaningless if the ToS/PP is as open as a hooker's legs. Even still, trusting your data with someone who you don't know; you're merely banking on them not wronging you, which hasn't exactly worked out so far during the 21st century.

Edit: Also, if I had $8,000 to burn: I'd build one of these:
»blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/pe ··· secrets/
in a heartbeat.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by XenithOrb:

If I had the money:

• 1 Norco 4U 24-bay rack mount
• 12 2TB WD20EARX in RAID6
• 2 Highpoint RockRAID 2720's (8 drives each)
• Your average AMD Opteron / SuperMicro server board
• Upgrade everything to 1Gbe, (10Gbe if rich!)
• (Major IF i had...) Off-site backup to similar server @ colo of choice.

What I do now:

Nothing really; fortunately I'm not too attached to anything.
Anything that's truly imperative is backed up in an nontraditional sense by way of being part of some silly cloud service already. (gmail, etc)

Also I realize RAID isn't, again, the traditional sense, a backup, but by using MDADM/LVM with that much storage you could implement some interesting rsync/snapshotting to another box.

Best possible scenario is to know someone like you who has decent server equipment, space to spare, and a decent internet connection for a price and conduct off-site backups to a eCryptfs partition or TrueCrypt image.

In the context of: What could BHN do to get me to pay for their storage? Nothing - I'm doing my best to move away from trusting large corporations with personal data. Money always being the primary issue in what's taking me so long; though I realize I'm probably not their target market. As much as I don't know, I'm still probably in a really really small group of people who aren't indoctrinated into trusting big business. Value in terms of Size/Dollar is imperative, but it's meaningless if the ToS/PP is as open as a hooker's legs. Even still, trusting your data with someone who you don't know; you're merely banking on them not wronging you, which hasn't exactly worked out so far during the 21st century.

Edit: Also, if I had $8,000 to burn: I'd build one of these:
»blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/pe ··· secrets/
in a heartbeat.

My kinda setup
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

k2rj
Premium
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I had been using an external hard drive, but decided to go with Carbonite late last summer. A month after going with them, my laptop had a major hard drive meltdown and the restore process was very easy. Of course, I then learned of some files that had not been backed-up by default (e.g. Outlook .PST files) but fortunately I had all but a couple months on the old hard drive. I'm still connected to an Exchange server, so my .OST file was fine....

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
reply to BHNtechXpert
Is Brighthouse considering hosting a backup service? I might use it if it was free but all i'd upload would probably be truecrypt containers (kinda like renting storage space then using it to keep safes in.)
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by OmagicQ:

Is Brighthouse considering hosting a backup service? I might use it if it was free but all i'd upload would probably be truecrypt containers (kinda like renting storage space then using it to keep safes in.)

Actually we offer storage now....

»help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_safestorag ··· age.aspx

But that's not the purpose of this thread. I do have a purpose in all this but the craziness this week has all but prevented me from finishing the project. My apologies for the delay but those of you who I am working with on issues at the moment come first
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
If I'm not Mistaken Bright house has Offered Road Runner Safe Storage for at least 4+ Plus year's now if I'm Correct ?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by bigdaddy:

If I'm not Mistaken Bright house has Offered Road Runner Safe Storage for at least 4+ Plus year's now if I'm Correct ?

No

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
Click for full size
Yes at least 2.5 Year's.

simba1994

join:2002-02-10
Largo, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bigdaddy:

No

Yeah, I think I remember seeing this around for quite awhile. It may have changed names, but I believe RoadRunner has had storage for awhile. The storage amounts were ridiculously low, virtually unusable in today's media-heavy environment, so I immediately wrote it off as useless. There were too many other alternatives i.e. SkyDrive, Mozy, Picasa, Live Mesh (back when it had an online component), etc, to mess with RoadRunner's less than 1GB of storage.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by simba1994:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bigdaddy:

No

Yeah, I think I remember seeing this around for quite awhile. It may have changed names, but I believe RoadRunner has had storage for awhile. The storage amounts were ridiculously low, virtually unusable in today's media-heavy environment, so I immediately wrote it off as useless. There were too many other alternatives i.e. SkyDrive, Mozy, Picasa, Live Mesh (back when it had an online component), etc, to mess with RoadRunner's less than 1GB of storage.

It has been a short while but not 4 years.
--

tlg
Premium
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Made a change last night.

Going to stop paying dropbox $10 / month for 50G now that GDrive is available for iOS, and quite usable for my needs. I'm using about 35 Gig right now, most of which are printer and laptop service manuals.

I have a grandfathered 80G of Google storage for $20 / year as long as I don't change it in any way, and make sure my CC info is correct in Sept. when they attempt to renew.
--
twitter.com/tgaume

swbrains

join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I run software that performs a backup of my "data" directories (not programs, OS, etc.) to a local USB 1T hard drive. The backups are ZIPped and stored sequentially by date so I can go back up to 2 weeks. The software also deletes the older-than-two-weeks backups as part of it's nightly process.

Then, every week, it synchronizes the backups from the local USB drive to a networked NAS drive for redundancy.

I don't like the idea of "cloud" backup because my business information, email database, business finance info, etc. are all part of this backup data and I feel more comfortable securing it locally than somewhere I don't have control over administered by someone whose background I know nothing about.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Okay since I'm lagging on getting this done I figured I would share my backup soloutions.

My primary onsite backups are:

2 x Synology NAS systems with 4TB each of RAID storage

All devices on my local network backup to these two devices at regular intervals. All important documents, data, images, music, video you name it also are backed up TWICE (once on each device just in case of failure).

Critical data is backed up from ther Synology units automatically at regular intervals offsite to servers I manage on the web in multiple locations just in case I have to leave in a hurry and can't take the Synology systems with me OR the house burns down or is robbed.

Offsite servers are also backed up to the Synology devices locally at regular intervals.

I don't trust any cloud based service nor do I feel like paying for the space I would need at such places and with this solution as it's completely unnecessary. I have complete and instant acess to the data remotely via almost any device you can think of.
--

BillyZoom

join:2008-05-15
Daytona Beach, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I'm old school, since you can't rely on retail quality CD's & DVD's ,I went to Tape.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by BillyZoom:

I'm old school, since you can't rely on retail quality CD's & DVD's ,I went to Tape.

Yikes... depends on what kind of tape...and of course the problem is capacity....
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
This isn't dead btw... I have been swamped with higher priority issues so feel free to contribute to this thread

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
After much thought on this (and lower hard drive prices) I'm going to focus on good back storage options vs cloud based solutions. More very soon on this...

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
Gary, not sure where you are going with this, but with the eminent arrival of W8 some of my friends are buying All-In-Ones as they have touch screens. No room for any expansion.

Even some newer systems present expansion problem. Just got Laraine a new computer and it has only 4 SATA port and 4 bays. Shipped with a hard drive in one bay and DVD's. Added an SSD and all spots taken. I was able to jury rig in a 3rd hard drive, but only 1 DVD now.

For non-technical people, even adding another drive can be a challenge.

P.S., I looked at *JOIN* from another thread about location, I didn't see anything on that link that would do it?
--
Irv Spalten