how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dniksich

join:2012-05-23
Gary, IN

[IPv6] New router needed for ipv6?

Will I have problems with my router (Belkin Vision N1) with the switch to ipv6 since as far as I've read is not ipv6 compatible? Thanks for any insight

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by dniksich:

Will I have problems with my router (Belkin Vision N1) with the switch to ipv6 since as far as I've read is not ipv6 compatible? Thanks for any insight

Yes. You will need to get a router supporting DHCPv6-PD. That's pretty much any new Linksys, Netgear, D-Link router, or Apple Airport.

Comcast has a bunch of them tested already and listed on this page.
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?homegateway

Edit: Before you buy anything you might want to hop back over the forums here and have us check the model you're thinking about. For example, ASUS claims to support v6 but they don't support DHCPv6-PD which is needed for almost any residential IPv6.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

2 recommendations

reply to dniksich
said by dniksich:

IPv4 is not going anywhere for a while. Unless your router's IPv6 support is so broken it screws up your network, you'll just hum along on IPv4 for a while. I bet your router will be replaced long before you absolutely need IPv6 connectivity.

On the other hand, if you want IPv6 now, yes, you'll need a new router.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to dniksich
Click for full size
Running a Cisco e4200v2 here. Works just fine.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to dniksich
Linksys Home Networking Store
Refurbished E4200v2 - $109.99 shipped
»homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Router···prod.htm

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by dniksich:

Yes. You will need to get a router supporting DHCPv6-PD. That's pretty much any new Linksys, Netgear, D-Link router, or Apple Airport.

Comcast has a bunch of them tested already and listed on this page.
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?homegateway

Edit: Before you buy anything you might want to hop back over the forums here and have us check the model you're thinking about. For example, ASUS claims to support v6 but they don't support DHCPv6-PD which is needed for almost any residential IPv6.

Per NetDog, he and the IPv6 team now have a RT-N66U from Asus in hand and are working on getting Native IPv6 working on it. Right now, only IPv6 tunnels (ie.HE) and Comcast's 6to4 Relay work on it.
--
»www.amtrak.com
»www.freightrailworks.org
»www.isu.edu
»www.nwprr.net
»www.amtrakcalifornia.com
»www.cahighspeedrail.gov

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to whfsdude
Does anyone know if the Toastman USB Tomato flash 1.28.7483 supports the required IPv6 service type on an Asus RT16?

Under the Service type it lists, among others, Native IPv6 from ISP and DHCPv6 with prefix delegation.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

NathanO

join:2008-08-21
Moorestown, NJ
It required a bunch of changes to work, see the Tomato IPv6 thread on this bit of the forum.