ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to bsdaiwa

Premium Member

to bsdaiwa

Re: IPv6 Support

So how do you know when you've got a valid IPv6 address?

I'm getting this on my router:

fe80::200:24ff:fecb:53cc%vr0/64

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

When your network adapter status looks like my screenshot
kingfisher
Premium Member
join:2007-07-17
Webster, NY

kingfisher to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
Or visit this site -

test-ipv6.com

which will tell you what your IPv6 address is if you have one
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to CptGemini

Premium Member

to CptGemini
said by CptGemini:

said by ke4pym:

When your network adapter status looks like my screenshot

That's not helpful. I don't run windows. And I'm not certain my router is configured to pass IPv6 yet.

So, with that. Let me ask a different way.

What would a valid IPv6 address look like, if the one I posted isn't indeed a valid address?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

My bad then. It should look the same, you can always go to the test site the previous poster shared or if you have a router that has an IPv6 section it'll show it. My netgear has an easy to read area that tells me if the WAN port has one or not.

la6
@rr.com

la6 to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym
In my area, TWC's network is AS20001. According to »bgp.he.net/AS20001, its IPv6 prefixes are 2600:5c00::/32 and 2605:e000::/32. So I'd expect my IPv6 assignment to be in those subnets (unless of course they are assigned more before they do the roll-out).

But still no sign of it here (LA), using an Apple Airport Extreme. I would expect it to be quite a few months before they finish rolling it out over their entire footprint.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
Everything in the fe80::/16 range (not sure about the size, I think it's /16) is "link local". That means that address is only usable on that network segment; it should not/will not traverse the Internet. Most publicly routable IP addresses start with 2. For example, both my Hurricane Electric tunnelled addresses and Google Public DNS use addresses starting with 2001 (which is cool for me, I like to add "an Internet odyssey"). I've also seen addresses expressed starting with 2600:.

I would look at your cable modem. For example, on Motorolas, there is a "mini Web server" at 192.168.100.1, and that has a configuration page; one of its items reads "IPv4 only" for "Modem's IP Mode".