spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Armonk OOL

@stsn.net

[OOL] Optimum Boost Plus

I am debating whether or not it is worth it to get Optimum Boost Plus. I don't have an FIOS option where I live. I make heavy use of video chat (generally Skype) using TelyHD. Connection is great sometimes and spotty other times (on my end and with the person I am video chatting with). With TelyHD the video is displayed on a 58" plasma in the living room, so poor quality video becomes very visible. For the other party, generally using high quality large monitors that are capable of displaying the HD quality video the TelyHD puts out.

Would welcome thoughts on whether or not the extra $15 a month will make a material difference.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
I'd just go ahead and try it out... Go to your Local CV Walk-in center with your current modem and tell them that you are upgrading.
Take your new DOCSIS 3 Modem home, connect it up, and try connecting to Optimum.net... You'll be connected to the "Walled Garden" to enter your modem exchange info. Once you fill that out, you should be in business.

Run a Speedtest... If you don't get BOOST speeds, then call in to verify account provisioning.

Try it for a couple of weeks, and if you find that it isn't worth it, just call in and Downgrade back to Standard OOL... You'll then have Standard tier service WITH Multiple Bonded channels as a Bonus... (and You WON'T have to re-exchange the Modem when you downgrade.)

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
reply to Armonk OOL
SamKnows reporting for the Month of May for Boost Plus (my modem - YMMV)

»[OOL] SamKnows May 2012 Report Card

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Armonk OOL
It will worth it ONLY if your skype is hitting bandwidth limits in either direction.
If not, then you'll be throwing your money away.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Armonk OOL

@stsn.net
so how would i know that?

i do occasionally get "slow connection" messages on the TelyHD. Not always, but sometimes.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Armonk OOL
It's quite possible Cablevision will raise speed on all their tiers as Verizon's already done and rumors of Comcast raising speeds in the northeast as well.

This will mark a phased transition away from docsis 2 modems for recapturing that bandwidth & using it more efficiently, 2012 is a better year than any to begin this transition since d3 modems have come way down in price.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Armonk OOL
Technically video calls don't need much to work, doing Skype on my Boost+ shows about 256-512Kbps being used which is basically nothing since you connection is already: 15,000/2000Kbps. Even HD is only "1500Kbps" or so. Granted that's closer to your upload limit but even so your picture quality to them will be degraded but their's should still be HD.

»support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA14···ype-need

So when it's telling you slow connection i'd say that either has to do with network congetion at your home or the system you are using the HD on can't process fast enough. 1500Kbps should be nothing, most DSL services can do that with ease.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Armonk OOL
How consistent are the speeds with boost plus these days? When I had OOL 4-5 Yrs ago I could never get consistent speeds.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
Other than your typical issues that happen with all ISPs, it's pretty consistent.

Here's a graph showing a report from last month. It shows daily plus average speeds for boost plus as well as another for Standard:

»[OOL] SamKnows May 2012 Report Card

So as you can see, it's even over provisioned and gets more than the 50/8 speeds (downloads anyways ).

Those aren't mine but I basically get the same speeds as well all the time (other than my issues lately :P).

nona

@itt.com
reply to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

So when it's telling you slow connection i'd say that either has to do with network congetion at your home or the system you are using the HD on can't process fast enough. 1500Kbps should be nothing, most DSL services can do that with ease.

Or maybe the problem is with the other party's connection!

brut7

join:2000-10-06
Babylon, NY
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
reply to Armonk OOL
Just get it, it will fix your bandwith issues and youll love it also if you drop it I think you get to keep the D3 modem which also will help your issue.

I'm on a budget and it's worth the $s

Run some speed tests they don't always provision properly and I had to make a phone call.

I get better speed than they advertise too.

Best Wishes