how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jims2
Premium
join:2007-05-03
Denver, CO

[Rant] Does Comcast have the worst outsourced tech support ever?

See below for a brief unbelievable excerpt from my online chat transcript with a Comcast tech person yesterday. This was after a previous phone call to tech support with a woman who at least was fairly fluent in English, but I could understand only about 2/3 of what she said. No prejudice here, I can't speak their language at all, they are way ahead of me, but is this really how Comcast wants to deal with their customers? I am guessing senior management is so out of touch they have no idea.

By the way, I took the initiative this morning, went to my local Comcast office, swapped boxes and all is well now. Too bad I wasted 2 hours yesterday with their incompetent phone and online tech support with no idea of how to fix my problem, other than going through their on-screen prompts.

---------------------------------------------
Problem: Starting this morning after a power outage, my dvr box says "DVR service is not available or is currently disabled" when I press the pause, back, etc. buttons. Also when I press Menu, there is no longer a DVR
selection.
Adronico > Hello Jim, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Adronico. Please give me one moment to review your information.
Adronico > I am glad to have you in chat today!
Jim > My Issue: Starting this morning after a power outage, my dvr box says "DVR service is not available or is currently disabled" when I press the pause, back, etc. buttons. Also when I press Menu, there is no longer a
DVR selection.
Adronico > Oh my, thats quite unwell. I myself would certainly want to have my cable gets working well at all times. I understand how your cable service can be of significance to you as it is for me as well.
Adronico > I would be here to help you fix this now. I would more than happy to assist you with.
Adronico > May I know if this is happening with just one dvr?
Jim > I only have one. My other tv's are on digital converter boxes. I can see all the channels ok, just no dvr features.
Adronico > Oh I see. Thank you for checking, Jim.
Adronico > Now, here is what we can do then.
Adronico > Please allow me to pull up first the account and check things for you as well.
Adronico > Would it be fine for me to have a minute or two?
Jim > Sure. By the way, I called this morning and someone reloaded my programming, but that did not help.
Adronico > Oh thank you for that additional information.
Adronico > And may I know if it was for your dvr as well?
Jim > Yes, I was calling about this same problem.
Adronico > Thank you for that.
Adronico > Please hold on a minute or two.
Adronico > While I am pulling your account up, why not check out all 12 of our calling features. If you would like to know more about them and how they work, you may visit our helpsite at customer.comcast.com, or you
may go directly to this link: »www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/···res.html
Adronico > As a leading cable company, our goal is to provide you with a consistently superior customer experience – that’s our guarantee. Learn more about the Comcast Customer Guarantee at
»www.comcast.com/corporate/Custom···customer guarantee
Adronico > Thank you for waiting.
Adronico > For this type of issue, we need to do basic trouble shooting steps.
Adronico > May I know if you are able to do this with me now?
Jim > Yes.
Adronico > Great!
Adronico > Now, here is how our resolution would work. I will be asking series of questions accordingly to the issue at hand. Your answer would help us to arrive with the accurate technical resolution.
Adronico > Your participation is highly needed and appreciated as well.
Adronico > May I know if the dvr you have was self installed one or it was through a technician?

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

Re: [Rant] Does Comcast have the worst outsourced tech support e

in response to your title, no, its all of corporate america, not only comcast.
--
I'm better than you!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to jims2

online tech support may not even be a real person

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to jims2

so what is wrong with that chat. nothing wrong wit it to me.
--
Caddy

tlbepson
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jims2

I've had those sorts of Comcast live chats too...they are cringe inducing...'-}}

That said, the most recent Comcast chats I've had over the last couple of weeks have been on the whole quite pleasant--had to get a new stb because my previous stb which I'd had for years and years had a dvr and Comcast activated the dvr service a number of months ago (I didn't request it, didn't want it and didn't use it) and then sent me a letter week before last telling me they were going to charge me $16.95/month fo the service...no thank you!

Anyway my last live chat was EXCELLENT! My new stb popped a blue screen with an error message "your stb is not authorized" about 9:20pm on Saturday night. I spent 2.5 HOURS! on the phone (very difficult for me because of my hearing loss) and no one could fix the problem and I had a service call scheduled for Tuesday. On Sunday afternoon, I decided to try to see if someone on the live chat side could help. Less than 3 minutes into the chat, I had a working stb.

When I asked the rep what she'd done she said "I just double checked the codes on the account and corrected it to make your cable box work."

Now why couldn't any of those phone reps I talked with on Saturday night do that?!

I tend to rely on chat because (as I noted) my hearing loss makes the phone difficult to use and I've had "bad" chats in the past but I guess I've been lucky because my recent experience has been pretty good. Even with their dumb script text, it's less exhausting for me to use chat and after my experience Saturday night, way more productive...

Terrie

phudson126

join:2012-06-12
Brooklyn, NY
reply to jims2

I found nothing absurd about the transcript although the use of language could have been better. As long as a customer service provider is patient enough to listen to your issues and resolve them, customers have to be patient. This is because they handle a lot of technical issues everyday from different users and that makes their job tougher. This could be partly because of shortage in manpower which can be resolved only by the respective companies.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to jims2

My all-time favorite was when I called Comcast tech support because my internet service went out. After getting me to powercycle my modem and computer (which I had told her I had already done several times), and I'm not getting anything but the power light and a blinking receive light, she says, "I can't ping your modem, you don't have an IP address. You will need to contact your computer manufacturer and have them give you an IP address. When you do that, call back and I can then help you. What company manufactured your computer? HP? I can connect you to them if you like."

I tried to explain to her that the IP address comes from Comcast, not HP. She got irritated and told me that if I would not cooperate she could not help me. I asked to speak to her supervisor, so she put me on hold for 10 minutes. Finally, someone claiming to be the supervisor came on the line and he proceeded to tell me that if I refused to call my computer manufacturer to get an IP address, then Comcast could not help me further, and he then hung up on me.

I decided to just leave it and hope that the next morning their problem would be resolved. It was and my service was back after being down about 6 hours. Note, these "tech support" people were not foreign.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

Expand your moderator at work

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to jims2

Re: [Rant] Does Comcast have the worst outsourced tech support e

"Please give me one moment to review your information." means you don't have to retype the problem description that you already entered.

whatswrong

@comcast.net
reply to jims2

What's wrong with the chat? Seems pretty standard. English wasn't so great but it was simple call and response probing.

David_POd

@comcast.net
reply to tlbepson

said by tlbepson:

Anyway my last live chat was EXCELLENT! My new stb popped a blue screen with an error message "your stb is not authorized" about 9:20pm on Saturday night. I spent 2.5 HOURS! on the phone (very difficult for me because of my hearing loss) and no one could fix the problem and I had a service call scheduled for Tuesday. On Sunday afternoon, I decided to try to see if someone on the live chat side could help. Less than 3 minutes into the chat, I had a working stb.

When I asked the rep what she'd done she said "I just double checked the codes on the account and corrected it to make your cable box work."

Now why couldn't any of those phone reps I talked with on Saturday night do that?!

I developed the same issue on 6/20. The first call wound up getting things working again, although the explanation was pretty questionable. But the same issue surfaced on 6/21. I made two calls, and the second person looked a little deeper and said my authorization codes had been changed. He was going to get someone to fix and call me back, but never did. Another call this morning resulted in "we need to send a technician", although he admitted the problem was not with my cable service.

So I've spent >4-1/2 hours on the phone the last couple days, and I have to take off the morning fromo work on monday, just to have a tech come and tell me the problem is back at the main office.

Maybe I'll try online support and see if I can get anywhere. This has led to missing two Euro 2012 quarterfinal matches so far, and I'll miss the second half today :-( Really makes me question why I waste $144/ mo on Comcast TV and internet...

David

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jims2

Dude I had a tivo die on me and ordered a new one Comcast support online was useless the phone support for cable card was off the hook good , heck the even hooked me up with on demand and ppv for my tivo, just gotta go pick up a new m card so it will work reliably !

Their local phone support is great! To bad they cap their internet and I will be moving to a fios area, but their cable card support really is top notch.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

tlbepson
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to David_POd

>>David: Maybe I'll try online support and see if I can get anywhere.

I hope they can help. I really wasn't expecting the live chat rep to be able to help because I'd been told that live chat couldn't activate my new stb and that I *had* to call the activation number--that may indeed be true but now I wonder.

Sorry you missed the games. I was pissed because I ended up missing one of the few tv programs I like to watch.

Report back on what happens...

Terrie