how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Need BB

join:2001-12-21
Rochester, NY

[FiOS Phone] Converting from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice

Does anyone have any tips on how to convert? I have had Fios for 6 years with Fios voice, but all my neighbors who recently signed up are on Digital Voice. The reps on the phone just say it is unavailable even thought I know the equipment at the CO is capable. Is there an escalation number or a team within VZ that can get this done?

Thanks
--
AWD Turbo Power

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2

Re: [FiOS Phone] Converting from Freedom Essentials to Digital V

The next time you go to upgrade your bundle, you should be automatically upgraded to Digital Voice, as Verizon no longer offers Freedom Essentials, and are trying to get everyone off of it. It seems odd that they're preventing you from getting it, a lot of people here want to keep it and are unable to.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to Need BB

You should just be able to call and convert. They seem to want people to switch to it now. I just switched, but mine was a renewal of a bundle.

Need BB

Rochester, NY

I was trying to upgrade to a triple play package, but it won't let me upgrade to digital voice. I wonder why....
--
AWD Turbo Power

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

Try calling in again and speaking to someone else. Let us know.

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to Need BB

Can I ask why you want DV ? I have FE and really don't want to switch. I'm not interested in the extra 'features' and have a home answering machine. The idea of paying more and having to dial 10 digits even within the same area code doesn't appeal to me.
--
Roadkill 2015

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Need BB

said by Need BB:

I was trying to upgrade to a triple play package, but it won't let me upgrade to digital voice. I wonder why....

We don't have a choice. Any new package has DV. I tried to stay with FE but couldn't. We've had 10 digit dialing for years so that wasn't a problem.

As for DV, we haven't had any problems with it.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

The issue is more than likely you have and old ONT. I am stuck on VFE and cannot upgrade to DV. They are currently jumping through hoops at Verizon to get the system to acknowledge that I can in fact get DV at my location.

The CSR's have filed a ticket and are working the system along with their supervisors who were also on the phone trying to get the system to accept the fact because both my neighbors can get it and do have it that I can to.

I am on legacy bpon ont from 2006 or 2007 I cant recall now...that's whats causing the issue...

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY
reply to Need BB

What is the difference between FE and DV? I see a couple of results and this thread: »forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone···p/383193

Less taxes? Less goverment regulation? Less features? That's all I really pick out from all this. I just see threads like these fighting to keep FE

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

DV has more features and less taxes, but you have to dial the area code on every call even it's your own area code, some people don't mind that while others do. There are some more differences too, but those are the main ones in my book.

Need BB

Rochester, NY

If you have more than one line, it is much cheaper with DV.

Looks like if I upgrade to 75/35 plan they will install GPON and then maybe I can convert.
--
AWD Turbo Power

Chris123NT

join:2001-11-24
Nesconset, NY

said by Need BB:

If you have more than one line, it is much cheaper with DV.

Looks like if I upgrade to 75/35 plan they will install GPON and then maybe I can convert.

75/35 will work with BPON ONT's, but if your ONT indeed can't handle DV, they'll probably swap your ONT as part of the bundle upgrade.

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

DV has more features and less taxes, but you have to dial the area code on every call even it's your own area code, some people don't mind that while others do.

Where I live, and where most of my family members live, the old copper POTS phone systems were changed to 10 digit dialing years ago, so we're all used to it here.

joef1971

join:2012-06-21
reply to Need BB

Upgraded to Fios digital voice a few weeks ago. Only issues were the multiple bills I got for the upgrade, and the 2nd phone number I had w/distinctive ring got "lost". Verizon was unable to solve the problem, and was assigned a new phone number, bummer...

msanta
FIOS

join:2005-05-30
Merrick, NY
reply to Need BB

You do it over the phone. If you are upgrading to 150/65 or higher y have to switch to digital, that's what the CSR told me so I did.

aa6vh

join:2005-07-25
Oxnard, CA
reply to Need BB

I read that Verizon's management, in their infinite wisdom, decided that only new customers can get Digital Voice. Supposedly they are not supposed to allow upgrades from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice.

I also read that the CSRs are not always aware of this policy, and that it is difficult (if not impossible) to bypass the policy.

There is a long thread on this topic over on the actual Verizon FIOS support forum, if you want more details.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by aa6vh:

I read that Verizon's management, in their infinite wisdom, decided that only new customers can get Digital Voice. Supposedly they are not supposed to allow upgrades from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice.

There was NO way I could get a new package after the old one expired without DV.

I'm happy with it but I did try to keep FE.

So, it's not that way in PA.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"I’m not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was.." - Mitt Romney

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aa6vh

said by aa6vh:

That was old policy, and only applied to some markets. VZ is now driving customers to DV from FE, so any new contracts/bundles require a change to DV. That policy had been covered in this forum some time ago, and the force to DV has been covered quite a bit here as well.

It is indeed odd that the OP is having this issue.

Lightsword

@verizon.net

Verizon is not letting me upgrade my internet/phone bundle without changing to DV from FE, however DV is apparently not available in my area yet which means I would have to unbundle to get the new speeds which would cost me 50 more a month. Is DV not available because I have an older ONT or is it something to do with the central offices not supporting it yet?

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by Lightsword :

Verizon is not letting me upgrade my internet/phone bundle without changing to DV from FE, however DV is apparently not available in my area yet which means I would have to unbundle to get the new speeds which would cost me 50 more a month. Is DV not available because I have an older ONT or is it something to do with the central offices not supporting it yet?

The answer could be YES to both your statements. The CO in your area may not yet support DV and your ONT may also not support it.

Chris123NT

join:2001-11-24
Nesconset, NY
reply to aa6vh

said by aa6vh:

I also read that the CSRs are not always aware of this policy, and that it is difficult (if not impossible) to bypass the policy.

There is a long thread on this topic over on the actual Verizon FIOS support forum, if you want more details.

I'm not sure how accurate that is, when I upgraded to 75/35 I was told I had to upgrade to digital voice as well or they couldn't give me the higher speed.

hemigod
Premium
join:2005-04-09
Norristown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Chris123NT:

I'm not sure how accurate that is, when I upgraded to 75/35 I was told I had to upgrade to digital voice as well or they couldn't give me the higher speed.

Same here. Since I was already on FIOS, the copper line was long since disconnected anyway and now that I have DV, what's not to like about it (well, besides the snafu I had with my distinctive ring line)?

danclan

Midlothian, VA

As has been reported before in this and other threads its simply not true anymore. Very few places don't support DV. The reason you cannot is because of 1 of two reasons:

1. Your ONT is old and doesn't support it.
2. You really are unlucky in that your CO hasn't been updated yet

Call verizon explain that your ONT is older than they, use the neighbors addresses who recently got FiOS or don't yet have it and see if they can get it. Once you have those addresses in hand tell the CSR that yes your area can in fact get DV and to file the ticket to correct your address.

If all else fails tell them you want 150/65 and they will have to most likely update your ONT which will automatically release your address now for DV and then you have call yet again and get the CSR to bundle you.

This is what I am in the middle of having to do...so far all the CSR have been very respectful and helpful and reporting on the updated status of the various tickets i have open in this painful process.

Flojomojo

join:2000-11-06
Silver Spring, MD
reply to gadgetboyj

I just upgraded from 35/35 with Freedom Essentials to 150/65 with Digital Voice. I didn't see any option on the ordering website to get anything different.

I used the extra features of DV (digital voicemail to email, anonymous call block, ability to black-hole up to 10 specific numbers) to justify the extra costs of the faster internet service.

I suppose I should make some calls on it tonight to see if I can perceive any difference in sound quality. We have had 10-digit dialing in our area for years now so that doesn't bother me.

The only thing I would complain about with DV is the lack of an iPhone app for visual management of voicemail messages. Seems like we should have that in 2012!

KramarK

join:2012-06-30

I too wanted the new faster speeds but when I tried to upgrade it said it wasn't available. I have Freedom Essentials and wanted Digital Voice and that wasn't available either. When I went online and checked availability I pretended I was a new customer and for my address it said Digital Voice and Quantum was available.

I called my local billing office and spoke to a fairly knowledgeable account rep. She said only a VERY, VERY small portion of customers cannot get Quantum or Digital Voice so she did some digging in to my account. She noticed some odd things with my account and put me on hold for a bit. She then told me my account was "locked" and that lock wouldn't allow a large portion of the available upgrades to be displayed as being available when checked either online or when calling in. She said the account would have to be fixed by their technical team and that she'd call me back the following day.

She didn't call back the following day so I called and spoke to another representative who insisted that Quantum and Digital Voice were NOT available at my house. I explained what the other rep told me and she knew nothing about that type of problem. I told her when I went online and pretended to establish new service at my address it said Quantum and Digital Voice was available. She said that was incorrect information.

Not getting anywhere, I went online and just put in a new order. I didn't login to my existing account but went to the Verizon home page and made like I was ordering new service. There was actually an option for "Moving" so I selected that. I entered my existing account login information that they asked for and when they asked for the new address I just entered my existing address but added "Unit #2" to the address. The system came back with a message that said something like, "There is existing service at this address." with two options, "Option #1: I am moving in to this address and want to establish new service after the current resident moves out." and "Option #2: This service is in addition to the existing service already there." (I don't remember the exact wording but you get the idea). I selected the second option. When it came back with a list of the available services it had Digital Voice and Quantum 75/35 as being available. It also asked me to select the disconnection date for my existing service and told me a technician would have to come out for the new service. So I just made the disconnection date the same date as the new installation.

My thoughts are this:

I think Verizon has two different systems that check availability. One that checks the local Central Office only as to what is available out of the Central Office and one that checks the actual address and what ONT equipment is already there. The reason I think this is because my parents had a FiOS line and a POTS line. They wanted their POTS number disconnected and moved to the FiOS line and the easiest way to do that was to actually disconnect the existing FiOS line and establish new FiOS service on the POTS line. Before the new FiOS was installed I checked their existing FiOS account and they were on Freedom Essentials with 35 MB service and no option to upgrade to Digital Voice or Quantum. After the technician installed a new ONT I went online and checked their account. They were still on Freedom Essentials with 35 MB but they now had upgrade options of Digital Voice and Quantum. So I upgraded them and when I did that their bill actually went down by about $30 a month even though they were getting faster speeds.

The old ONT at my parent's house that the technician replaced was the same as the ONT I currently have at my house. (White boxes, not the big gray one.) Their new ONT is also white but has different ports and stuff. If I am correct some ONT's are not compatible with Digital Voice and certain Quantum speeds. Verizon doesn't want to replace those ONT's so they tell you Quantum and Digital Voice are not available at your specific address even though the Central Office is capable of delivering it.

The other thing is my home was one of the first homes to have FiOS when it became available in late 2004/early 2005 in Pennsylvania. I know for a fact that my account was under a very old billing system that encountered dozens of technical problems and they actually had to build my account all over again in late 2007/early 2008 and that's when they replaced my old gray ONT with the current white one and gave me a new phone number. If you ask me my account is STILL screwed up because my old phone number is still "attached" to my current account as being active to me even though the old phone number has be re-assigned & is being billed to someone else. That problem may be what is causing my account to be "locked" and still messed up to this day...who knows.

The installation date for the "new service" is set for July 3rd so we shall see what happens and I will report back the results.

clarkbhm

join:2001-02-23
Pittsburgh, PA

said by KramarK:

The installation date for the "new service" is set for July 3rd so we shall see what happens and I will report back the results.

Any update?