dahan
join:2000-10-25
Leander, TX

3 recommendations

dahan to leibold

to leibold

Re: [ipv6] AT&T IPv6 6to4 is broken

said by leibold:

However it is not clear whether all customers that were previously able to use AT&T 6to4 relays will also be included in the upcoming 6rd deployment. From the news articles it sounds as if the 6rd deployment will be for uverse customers only.

From what I've read, anyone can use AT&T's 6rd relays. While I didn't set up a full tunnel, I've confirmed that a ping6 from a (non-AT&T) machine with a he.net tunnel to another (non-AT&T) machine's AT&T 6rd address shows incoming encapsulated IPv6 echo request packets from IPv4 address 12.83.49.81 (AT&T's 6rd gateway). So if it works with two machines that are both on non-AT&T networks, it seems like it should work for AT&T DSL too. This post also claims that AT&T's 6rd works on AT&T legacy DSL.

Now it's certainly possible (likely?) that AT&T won't be configuring 6rd for DSL customers, but it doesn't sound like the original poster needs AT&T to do the config for him since he's capable of doing his own 6to4 config.

So, I can see being annoyed that a previously-working 6to4 setup is now broken, and I don't know why it no longer works; but on the other hand, I'm not seeing why it's really a big deal. Just switch to 6rd and get lower latency/faster speeds.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

said by dahan:

So, I can see being annoyed that a previously-working 6to4 setup is now broken, and I don't know why it no longer works; but on the other hand, I'm not seeing why it's really a big deal.

100% agreed. I did some experimenting with IPv6 last year and found 6to4 (not AT&T) very frustrating (things would work one moment and not the next or only work after repeated tries).

I found the 6in4 tunnels provided by HE.net and Sonic.net just as easy to setup and very reliable.

Thanks for the link to the AT&T 6rd discussions. If I find the time I'll give that a try.

justbits
DSL is dead. Long live DSL!
Premium Member
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

justbits to dahan

Premium Member

to dahan
Thanks for pointing out the 6rd post. I should've searched harder to find that info. As an alternative to 6to4, I have been using tunnelbroker.net and now I have 6rd working. Thanks!

I have completely abandoned all hope for 6to4 now that I realize that AT&T 6rd is good enough and works as I'd expect it to.

Also, it looks like the way 6rd is configured today, AT&T isn't going to monetize 6rd IPv6 addressing any more than how they monetize static IPv4 today. Technically, they could always remove the one to one mapping of IPv4 addresses encoded within the 6rd host address, in order to monetize IPv6 via 6rd. But, I hope they won't do that.
justbits

justbits

Premium Member

Does anyone know how AT&T is going to handle reverse IPv6 DNS delegation for those of us who have static IPv4 addresses? I'm contacting prov-dns@att.net to see if they have any details.