Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Arthritis

join:2011-10-20
Canada
reply to Immer

Re: [Vanilla] Good read on the Golden Age of World PvP

Firstly, I have no real idea what Blizzard developers are thinking with this change and really none of us do and are left to speculate.

But one of the things that made Vanilla and BC enduring in my opinion is that you were actually immersed in the world. You died frequently while levelling from mobs every day…show of hands, who hasn’t been roflstomped by a Murloc?

And just when you were starting to get powerful and in the 50’s, you’d meet other characters in quest zones that would wipe you out. You’d call for help and hope it came, and if not you travelled to another zone where you could hopefully quest in peace.

There was a sense of immersion and paranoia right out of the gate. You were in an actual world, and you could get eliminated pretty quickly if you weren’t careful. There were consequences for your actions, among your faction and your enemies. A whole faction of races hated your very being for being who you were and would kill you on site if they could, but at the same time respected you as a feared warrior of your faction were you to be successful. Reputations and followings were built on actions and conduct, not videos and sponsorship. It forced you to band together for a common goal of survival, it forced camaraderie and respect among your server mates. Guilds were a necessity for a survival as you gained levels No faction changes, no name changes, no heirlooms. All were equal, and separated only by skills and by loot pillaged as through adventures we undertook in the world. Titles were hard, hell….. healing was hard.

I enjoy the storyline of Wow immensely and the way it’s been presented in game. But since Wrath, I went from feeling part of a living, breathing storyline to feeling like a production worker. It lost some of that magic for me. This is my hope for Mists, that some of that magic returns.

And I have to respectfully disagree…PvP is most certainly enduring in the world of Warcraft storyline…..you’re at war, and there have been many injustices and atrocities committed by both factions. Still waters can run very deep, and there is a player base that will try to find the odd zone where your race has to pay for the actions of your forefathers. And when you ask for help, you might be amazed at how quickly people respond and an all-out war can break out over one tiny little NPC.

It’s not to be an asshat, it’s revenge for what you and those who fly your banners have done. I would expect someone of an opposing faction to swing an axe at me should we happen to be at the same NPC at any given point in time. Not because they can, but because they should. If we land at the same node to gather, we should have to fight for it…we’re both trying to feed ourselves and our brothers and use that profit for further adventures.

I believe at the end of the day, at max level you should be able to choose what path you want to take…PvE, PvP or a mixture of both, you’ve certainly earned that right. But in the journey to that end game is going to be hard for your, and so it should be. I’m thinking this is what Blizzard is trying to recapture.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
said by Arthritis:

There was a sense of immersion and paranoia right out of the gate. You were in an actual world, and you could get eliminated pretty quickly if you weren’t careful. There were consequences for your actions, among your faction and your enemies. A whole faction of races hated your very being for being who you were and would kill you on site if they could, but at the same time respected you as a feared warrior of your faction were you to be successful. Reputations and followings were built on actions and conduct, not videos and sponsorship. It forced you to band together for a common goal of survival, it forced camaraderie and respect among your server mates. Guilds were a necessity for a survival as you gained levels No faction changes, no name changes, no heirlooms. All were equal, and separated only by skills and by loot pillaged as through adventures we undertook in the world. Titles were hard, hell….. healing was hard.

agreed

Back then, people and guilds built reputations on their servers. On the RPPvP server i played on there were KoS list for certain opposing players and guilds. It really enhanced the immersion factor within the game.

--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu