Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Doc Hollanda

join:2012-06-17
Portsmouth, VA

[VA] IPv6 Address Allocation

Greetings,

I am a Cox residential subscriber in the Hampton Roads area. Does anyone out there know what Cox's plan for IPv6 address allocation will be for residential subscribers? Will it be /48, /56, /64, or some other allocation?

Thanks in advance,

Doc

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

I don't think we have announced that yet. Here are the most recent IPv6 FAQ's

»ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···0000000}

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Doc Hollanda

said by Doc Hollanda:

Greetings,

I am a Cox residential subscriber in the Hampton Roads area. Does anyone out there know what Cox's plan for IPv6 address allocation will be for residential subscribers? Will it be /48, /56, /64, or some other allocation?

Thanks in advance,

[OT][Not looking forward to ipv6 and all the things it'll break]

Doc Hollanda

Portsmouth, VA

1 recommendation

reply to CoxJimR

Thanks for the reply. I saw the FAQ's previously. I'm trying to get an idea because I have multiple subnets, and how Cox does the IP allocation, will drive how I set up my network. I know IANA's initial recommendation was for /48, but that seems like quite alot for a residential user. I was hoping Cox might be thinking /56 or /60. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated, so that I can plan appropriately.

Doc

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Doc Hollanda

Yea, I'm curious also. Heck, will we be doing "IPv6 Native", "IPv6 Native with DHCP-PD", etc.?

I would like to config my router now, and just wait for it to kick in. I'm guessing "IPv6 Native with DHCP-PD" would be the safest.

Doc Hollanda

Portsmouth, VA

1 edit

I didn't think the question was that hard. At this juncture, one would think Cox would know what their plans for IP allocation would be. But, nobody I have asked seems to have any idea.
I must admit, that this does not inspire me with confidence.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15

If its consistent with everything else they do, it will likely be slightly different for each of their systems with nobody customer-facing having any clue about the differences.

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Doc Hollanda

said by Doc Hollanda:

I didn't think the question was that hard. At this juncture, one would think Cox would know what their plans for IP allocation would be. But, nobody I have asked seems to have any idea.
I must admit, that this does not inspire me with confidence.

I don't think we're tying to keep anything from you, and there may be a plan with someone somewhere in the building, it just hasn't been announced at this point.

Doc Hollanda

Portsmouth, VA

Thanks for the info.