share rss forum feed

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

[request] Unlocking CanPol

Maybe it's time to unlock Canadian Politics and do away with the registration. DSLR doesn't lock down the Red/Blue Rooms, which are very political in nature, so why lock Canadian Politics?

If it was opened up in general, perhaps there would be less political commenting elsewhere (and I'm guilty of that).
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

Re: Unlocking CanPol

I'd rather close all the political forums. Collectively they generate hostility and anger that spreads to the rest of the site.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

Expand your moderator at work

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to fatness

Re: Unlocking CanPol

said by fatness:

I'd rather close all the political forums. Collectively they generate hostility and anger that spreads to the rest of the site.

The problem is politics are involved in all aspects of life, no matter what. Even the most benign topic can have a political overtone to to it.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

I agree about that, you're right. Hosting forums specifically for political discussion does more than abstractly discuss politics, however. It hardens opinions, lessens intentional information-sharing, encourages misinformation, and makes posting behavior elsewhere on the site more hostile than it would be without those forums.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
reply to fatness

I agree.

There are political sites for those so inclined to post.

I have always considered DSLR a technology site so political forums are, in my opinion, not desired.

g121
MrGee

join:2004-05-28
Toronto
reply to elwoodblues

yes, i second the motion to unlock the Canadian Political forum .. open discussion can be enlightening .. cheers from Toronto ..