technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

1 edit

technocar2 to bigfam

to bigfam

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Got cogeco last week. Plagued with DNS is

said by bigfam:

As far as I know theres no way to put the cisco DPC3825 into true bridge mode (IE it will assign a public IP to a router or a computer)

The closest you can come is hook your own router/access point up to the modem and have said router/AP in the 'DMZ'.

Wrong dude, when I get home I will post a screenshot of the GUI on my DPC3825 with rogers firmware and it CLEARLY has the option for bridge mode.

You need to realize that cogeco disabled that feature for its customers but cisco did design that feature into the modem but its just disabled for you guys.

Edit:

bigfam
join:2009-11-04

2 edits

bigfam

Why would a company purposely cripple features?

From doing some googling it appears theres no way I could update the firmware myself even if I had access to the rogers firmware. (the white modem/router combos that bell gives had I always switching the firmware around)

So I guess the only way for the firmware to be updated would be someone in cogecos NOC would update it via docsis. Can anyone who visits this forum do that?

I am considering switching services again, even though cogeco is the fastest around. but I want control. I want to use my own APs ( i live in a large property) and have all my data routed through a linux box.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

said by bigfam:

but I want control. I want to use my own APs ( i live in a large property) and have all my data routed through a linux box.

When you had the modem put in, did the technician not ask if you wanted a regular Cisco DPC3000 without the wireless?
bigfam
join:2009-11-04

bigfam

Nope, he just put hooked it up. (he wasnt a cogeco tech, just someone from a local contracting company that does BELL/COGECO/OTHER ISP/PHONE/TV providers...
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to bigfam

to bigfam
said by bigfam:

Why would a company purposely cripple features?

cableco's have been doing it to STB's and prebuilt PVR's for some time now... it's nothing new.

long story short, cogeco doesn't want people changing settings that would break their internet connections. it makes more work for them in phone support, but those are the breaks.