cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

Thanks for the framing pic!

Question: Will you be going with spray insulation (closed or open cell) or traditional fiberglass/batts ?

Were you planning (future) to use space above garage for storage or living? Consider noise of garage doors and R value of the garage (insulated doors, E rated windows..)

Though I hear nothing good from owners of additions with skylights (leaking, hail...), using outside lighting (domes/skylights or even dormers) makes a difference for roominess and lighting. Or heck, that large roof could be home to a PV array!

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by cableties:

Question: Will you be going with spray insulation (closed or open cell) or traditional fiberglass/batts ?

Were you planning (future) to use space above garage for storage or living? Consider noise of garage doors and R value of the garage (insulated doors, E rated windows..)

Though I hear nothing good from owners of additions with skylights (leaking, hail...), using outside lighting (domes/skylights or even dormers) makes a difference for roominess and lighting. Or heck, that large roof could be home to a PV array!

The second floor isn't being finished yet so no insulation. I'll be going back next year and doing bats myself most likely. We're planning to use that room as an office/den/man cave type thing once it's finished. For now it's going to be storage so all the 'junk' my wife has in the basement will move above the garage. This way we'll get the 1,208 sq. ft. finished basement back! That means I get my pool table.

-------------------------------
I bought these quiet garage door openers already for the project. The city expects the permit to be approved Friday and the contractor is shooting for Wednesday to demo the existing 1 car garage. I'm going to finish cleaning the garage this week-end and I'll take pictures of the empty garage before demo.
Draiman

1 recommendation

Draiman

Here's the full design paperwork. I don't have a copy of the foundation plans yet but I'm hoping to get those tonight.
Draiman

Draiman

I'll try to get up some more of the designs today. They have me modded still as a new account so it takes forever to post. I apologize ahead of time if it takes a while to answer due to this. Hopefully that goes away soon.
Draiman

Draiman to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

The windows in the entire garage will be energy star rated .30 and the garage doors will be R9.7 I believe. We're planning to add a solar array to the garage roof next year so for now nothing fancy like skylights.
Draiman

Draiman

I forgot to attach the link for the openers I bought.
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _s00_i00
Draiman

Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
I managed to find some decent pictures of the existing garage.
Draiman

Draiman

If anyone sees anything wrong with anything on the plans let me know. I had everything fixed I knew about. As far as I could tell most everything was at or above code. There's been a few minor changes since those final plans came out. One was I added 4 ceiling lights in the garage to the electrical plan with wall switches by both doors. I also added a 60 amp subpanel on the back wall to the left of the door instead of the original (2) 20 amp circuits. With the subpanel they are going to put the garage doors on their own 20 amp circuit, the lights all on their own 20 amp circuit, and the outlets all on their own 20 amp circuit. Hopefully that works out well.
Draiman

Draiman

I went back and looked at the garage door quote. It's R8 not R9.7. Still decent for a garage door I think.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

I went back and looked at the garage door quote. It's R8 not R9.7. Still decent for a garage door I think.

Not really that much difference, but you can't change the R value later (you change the doors...but best doors I've seen are R12 AND PRICEY). You can insulate the garage ceiling and walls enough, and make sure you have decent seals for the doors. That should be enough even for an upstairs office/den.

GOOD LUCK! Looks like a nice garage addition/improvement!

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

I looked up the manufacturer website for the garage doors. They list it as R-value - 9.65 on the model they quoted and the quote has an upgrade for $100 per door to the next model up with an R-value - 10.29.
Expand your moderator at work
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to Draiman

to Draiman

That looks like a nice garage.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

With any luck we're still on schedule for a Friday demo.
Draiman

Draiman

Health department held us up from getting the permit yesterday so demo is getting bumped to next week sometime.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

what were the issues?

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by AVD:

what were the issues?

They wanted a floor plan to verify the septic system was adequate to add a new room to the house. We have a 9 room septic system installed but only have 7 rooms currently so it was a non-issue. They approved the Health department part an hour ago.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Interesting. Here in Michigan they size the septic field based on the number of bedrooms only.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

Here's the verbiage on a septic system here.

"What is the maximum number of total rooms that a structure may have based on the number of bedrooms specified on the septic permit?
The total number of rooms allowed for a given septic system without the need for a deed restriction is as follows:
3 Bedroom Permit a maximum of 7 rooms is allowed
4 Bedroom Permit a maximum of 9 rooms is allowed
5 Bedroom Permit a maximum of 11 rooms is allowed
6+ Bedroom (multiply # of permitted bedrooms by 2 and add 1)
A deed restriction may be appropriate in some instances. Contact the Board of Health if you would like more information as it relates to your specific property."
Draiman

Draiman

I just ordered the doors and octagon window myself today. The contractor is going to handle the double-hung windows. His prices on the doors and octagon window were too high. Also hired the electrician today.

The last things I need to do are find someone to paint and asphalt. Not sure if I can do that until they have the garage up though. Might be hard for them to quote off a design.
Draiman

Draiman

They said we have a "4 bedroom permit" which is a 9 room house max. A "3 bedroom permit" is 7 rooms max. They said when the septic was done in 2003 the health director required all houses to get a "4 bedroom permit" minimum. Our house should have had a "3 bedroom permit" originally so lucky for us that overkill was in our favor this time.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
You are not getting the job done turnkey?

Who hired the designer? The framing contractor?

Also for new construction and qualifies roofer should be able to quote based on the drawings.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

1 edit

Bruschi to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

For now it's going to be storage so all the 'junk' my wife has in the basement will move above the garage.

You know once the wifes "junk" is up there it will never leave.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to AVD

to AVD
said by AVD:

You are not getting the job done turnkey?

Who hired the designer? The framing contractor?

Also for new construction and qualifies roofer should be able to quote based on the drawings.

The contractor sold it as a one stop shop project but also had allowances on some stuff in case I wanted to do upgrades or anything special. The contractor is handling everything except the doors and electrical as far as the garage goes. They don't do painting or asphalt either so that's all on me to get done.
Draiman

Draiman

After one final round of BS with the city over the permit they are issuing it today. They made us get the framing and foundation stamped for 'our own protection' they said. They forced us to get a certified plot plan also for the permit. Both things aren't required in most cities but ours just happens to be dicks! They forced us to spend $3,000 extra to get the mere $600 permit. Ridiculous! GC is making some calls and trying to line up the demo for Friday finally.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to Draiman

to Draiman
Remember to take lots of pictures and post them!

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

They forced us to spend $3,000 extra to get the mere $600 permit. Ridiculous! GC is making some calls and trying to line up the demo for Friday finally.

Good grief the useless government bureaucrats are really entrenched in your city. You folks should clean house on some of them.

Here is our fee schedule:

Building Permit Fee $25.00 minimum

Fee for building a new building, additions, garages, mobile homes, modular homes: $.06 per square foot with the minimum fee being $25.00

Fee for building renovation or remodeling, etc. $4.00 per thousand of estimated cost, minimum fee of $25.00

Looking forward to pictures of your project.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

The permit fee is $12.00 per $1,000 of estimated cost. In our case it's $49,800 for the cost so $598 for the permit. In order to get the permit the $%#^'s required a certified plot plan ($1,000) and all drawing stamped ($2,000). We're looking at ~7% of the cost of the project just to get the permit. Nuts!

The GC is going to give us a day to start this afternoon sometime. He said it will be Friday or Monday. I'll try to get some nice 'before' pictures and post them soon. The electrician was out over the week-end and disconnected the power to the old garage.

I accepted the GC's bid back on April 17th, 2012. I would have never guessed it would take 3 months to start the job. Let's hope his estimate of 6-8 weeks from finish is accurate. This looks to be a 6 month ordeal from start to finish.
Expand your moderator at work
Draiman

Draiman

I'm waiting for a final draft of the drawings but the Structural Engineer turned the foundation into Fort Knox. The original footings were 36" x 12" and the new ones are 96" x 18". It was a single layer of rebar and now it's a double layer of rebar in each wall. This garage is being so over built it's nuts. After it's done the safest place in the house will be the garage. LOL