Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to cjski

to cjski

Re: Garage addition

said by cjski:

said by Draiman:

I measured the area that will be conditioned at some point and added to the GLA. Once finished it will add 534 square feet onto the house. That's just over a 26% increase since the house is 2,036 square feet now.

If any part of that 534 sf is below grade level (even just 1 wall) then it will not be considered GLA.

There is no below-grade in the garage. The only below grade in the house is the basement.
Draiman

Draiman to IIIBradIII

to IIIBradIII
said by IIIBradIII:

said by Draiman:

I noticed this yesterday as well. It looks like a ton of wood for a doorway. Is that the correct way to handle the gap between the wall and the doorway?

Where are the light switches going? If there were any planned to be close to that door, it looks like they'll need to be on the other side of that 2x4 stack now. Might be quite a reach when you enter that door...

I think they are planned to be on the right side of the door. If I wanted one on the left side I'd just have to bust out the oscillating tool, some chisels, and a hammer. I'm good at that stuff.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr
join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

IIIBradIII

said by Draiman:

said by IIIBradIII:

said by Draiman:

I noticed this yesterday as well. It looks like a ton of wood for a doorway. Is that the correct way to handle the gap between the wall and the doorway?

Where are the light switches going? If there were any planned to be close to that door, it looks like they'll need to be on the other side of that 2x4 stack now. Might be quite a reach when you enter that door...

I think they are planned to be on the right side of the door. If I wanted one on the left side I'd just have to bust out the oscillating tool, some chisels, and a hammer. I'm good at that stuff.

Okay, just wondered. I always thought it was standard for switches to be on the handleset side of a door too (seems your door hinges on the right side there), but if that's how your electrical is planned then you'll be fine.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by IIIBradIII:

Okay, just wondered. I always thought it was standard for switches to be on the handleset side of a door too (seems your door hinges on the right side there), but if that's how your electrical is planned then you'll be fine.

It makes it easier to use if it's on the handle side. I rewired the front door because the switches were on the opposite side. You had to open the door then walk around it to turn the hallway light on. It really doesn't matter much on that door since it will be used very little if at all at night. It's more of an access door for lawn maintenance so I don't have to walk all the way around the garage.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr
join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

IIIBradIII

Coolio. Garage is looking nice.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
No vapor barrier under the rock??

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by John Galt6:

No vapor barrier under the rock??

Definitely not! That will be on top of the rocks. They don't want to take an chances on damaging the vapor barrier.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

Definitely not! That will be on top of the rocks. They don't want to take an chances on damaging the vapor barrier.

I guess that is another thing that we do here that is different. We put them down before AND after.

Of course, we are on the coast in Oregon so that might be why they do that. The rain is is crazy sometimes...we get hit with what I called 'shafts of water' where the rainfall rate is 30+ inches per hour.

Right now they are down the hill from me jackhammering up the slabs on a house that was built 10 years ago (a -formerly- very expensive house, I might add). The water got trapped in the rocks and infiltrated into the house due to the hydraulic pressure. They hadn't been to their house in several years since they were traveling, but when they got here...!

Contractors come over from the 'dry' valley and build houses here...it ends up being a problem. Water infiltration is a major issue when you live in Coastal Exposure Zone D.

Again, different conditions.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman

I plan to have the floor epoxied eventually so that will be a second vapor barrier.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to Draiman

MVM

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

It makes it easier to use if it's on the handle side. It really doesn't matter much on that door since it will be used very little if at all at night.

IMHO, putting the light switch on the wrong side of the door, because the carpenters screwed up, is ridiculous.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

IMHO the framing on the door is a disaster. I hope a real journeyman carpenter didn't build it. I would still like to know why the opening was apparently built for a larger door.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

Click for full size
The back siding is almost done. They just need to finish the soffits and corners today.
Draiman

Draiman

Click for full size
I'm trying to decide on the asphalt work. Does the red or green area look better? Basically squared (red line) or angled (green line). They could do a curve and follow the stone as well.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

IMHO the framing on the door is a disaster. I hope a real journeyman carpenter didn't build it.

Even the most skilled crew screws up from time to time, it's only human. The problem I have is with how they corrected it. If they were unable or simply unwilling to repair it properly, they should have explored other options with the homeowner and/or GC. A wider door is almost always a good thing in a garage. Another option would have been a sidelight.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I don't see it as a screw up. It obviously was framed to accommodate a larger door which would have made the framed opening ok. The question is why was the framed opening different than the size needed for the installed door causing other problems like placement of light switches.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

Opening was NOT framed to accommodate a larger door. Long story why they did it this way but there was a reason. The problem is how they corrected it as pike said. The stairs that aren't built yet and you can't see except on the plans right now have a door which swings out into that area so a bigger door was never an option. Note the door was mounted on the right side of that opening not the left side. If the door size or placement was an issue they would have mounted it the opposite way and it wouldn't be an issue.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

Opening was NOT framed to accommodate a larger door. Long story why they did it this way but there was a reason. The problem is how they corrected it as pike said. The stairs that aren't built yet and you can't see except on the plans right now have a door which swings out into that area so a bigger door was never an option. Note the door was mounted on the right side of that opening not the left side. If the door size or placement was an issue they would have mounted it the opposite way and it wouldn't be an issue.

Ok I sort of understand now

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

At some point I'll try to post why they did it but writing a book isn't on my list right now. Why not go look at the original post or the posted plans back on page one from June and see if you guys can figure out why they did it that way.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

1 recommendation

Asiabound

Premium Member

Many of us are very interested in this project of yours. I know I am.
But, some of us are quite busy and really don't have the time to attempt finding a reason for something unusual.

"Writing a book" certainly isn't necessary - neither is explaining it at all since it's your thread. But, a quick explanation would be very much appreciated, and would avoid speculation.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman

The short version is the foundation guys advised against making a 6-8" section of foundation butted up against the old foundation so instead of pouring something that would break they opted not to pour it at all. That created the gap on the left side. Also that small section would create a mismatch. The old foundation is like 8" thick and the new is 12" thick so there would be a 4" issue right there. They used the door as a transition from 8" foundation to 12" foundation.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

The door is adjacent to or over the foundation transition?

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

3 edits

Draiman

said by AVD:

The door is adjacent to or over the foundation transition?

Yes the door is adjacent to the transition. You can see the old 8" block foundation behind the Lally (left side) then you have the door on the (right side) other side with the new 12" poured reinforced concrete foundation. The door bridges the gap and hides the difference pretty well. So well no one here noticed or said anything in all the pictures so far. The front door is the exact same thing as the back door as well if you look at the pictures.
Draiman

1 edit

Draiman

Click for full size
Here's the front door. The gap wasn't as big but the same thing as the back door. They didn't want to pour a sliver of foundation and butt it against the old foundation like the plans said. In the front doors case we changed the plans and moved the door against the right side instead of the left side. That will make the closet bigger. (8" block right and 12" poured concrete left)
Draiman

Draiman

I'll get the slab pictures up tomorrow morning. With any luck Monday's pictures will be of an almost complete garage. I think they are going to complete the siding and deck today. The last big part on Friday/Saturday will be the hallway, stairs, type x drywall, and the doors. Sometime next week they'll install the garage doors. The first week of October the electrical & asphalt will go in then it will be done.

Gord
@teksavvy.com

Gord

Anon

Thanks for posting these picture and story. One day I would like to build a custom home and I enjoy reading about yours.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Gord :

Thanks for posting these picture and story. One day I would like to build a custom home and I enjoy reading about yours.

I'm glad you enjoy it. When you're finally able to build a custom home I'll still be paying for this. I think the note is like 20 years for this. ROFL
ct_mike
Premium Member
join:2006-09-29
Hamden, CT

1 recommendation

ct_mike to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
Go with the red line. Having backed into a garage with a driveway the shape of the green line for several years, I can tell you that you will enjoy the little bit of extra manuevering space the red line gives you.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

what's the difference in cost btw concrete and asphalt driveway?

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by AVD:

what's the difference in cost btw concrete and asphalt driveway?

Not sure but the rest of the driveway is asphalt so concrete would look weird. I'd love to redo the entire driveway concrete but that's years down the line since the existing asphalt driveway is in excellent shape.
Draiman

Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's the garage slab pictures.