uniqs
share rss forum feed

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

I looked up the manufacturer website for the garage doors. They list it as R-value - 9.65 on the model they quoted and the quote has an upgrade for $100 per door to the next model up with an R-value - 10.29.

Expand your moderator at work

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
reply to Draiman

That looks like a nice garage.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

With any luck we're still on schedule for a Friday demo.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

Health department held us up from getting the permit yesterday so demo is getting bumped to next week sometime.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

what were the issues?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by AVD:

what were the issues?

They wanted a floor plan to verify the septic system was adequate to add a new room to the house. We have a 9 room septic system installed but only have 7 rooms currently so it was a non-issue. They approved the Health department part an hour ago.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Interesting. Here in Michigan they size the septic field based on the number of bedrooms only.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Here's the verbiage on a septic system here.

"What is the maximum number of total rooms that a structure may have based on the number of bedrooms specified on the septic permit?
The total number of rooms allowed for a given septic system without the need for a deed restriction is as follows:
3 Bedroom Permit a maximum of 7 rooms is allowed
4 Bedroom Permit a maximum of 9 rooms is allowed
5 Bedroom Permit a maximum of 11 rooms is allowed
6+ Bedroom (multiply # of permitted bedrooms by 2 and add 1)
A deed restriction may be appropriate in some instances. Contact the Board of Health if you would like more information as it relates to your specific property."

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I just ordered the doors and octagon window myself today. The contractor is going to handle the double-hung windows. His prices on the doors and octagon window were too high. Also hired the electrician today.

The last things I need to do are find someone to paint and asphalt. Not sure if I can do that until they have the garage up though. Might be hard for them to quote off a design.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

They said we have a "4 bedroom permit" which is a 9 room house max. A "3 bedroom permit" is 7 rooms max. They said when the septic was done in 2003 the health director required all houses to get a "4 bedroom permit" minimum. Our house should have had a "3 bedroom permit" originally so lucky for us that overkill was in our favor this time.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Draiman

You are not getting the job done turnkey?

Who hired the designer? The framing contractor?

Also for new construction and qualifies roofer should be able to quote based on the drawings.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

1 edit
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

For now it's going to be storage so all the 'junk' my wife has in the basement will move above the garage.

You know once the wifes "junk" is up there it will never leave.
--
Professional student pilot!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

You are not getting the job done turnkey?

Who hired the designer? The framing contractor?

Also for new construction and qualifies roofer should be able to quote based on the drawings.

The contractor sold it as a one stop shop project but also had allowances on some stuff in case I wanted to do upgrades or anything special. The contractor is handling everything except the doors and electrical as far as the garage goes. They don't do painting or asphalt either so that's all on me to get done.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

After one final round of BS with the city over the permit they are issuing it today. They made us get the framing and foundation stamped for 'our own protection' they said. They forced us to get a certified plot plan also for the permit. Both things aren't required in most cities but ours just happens to be dicks! They forced us to spend $3,000 extra to get the mere $600 permit. Ridiculous! GC is making some calls and trying to line up the demo for Friday finally.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
reply to Draiman

Remember to take lots of pictures and post them!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

They forced us to spend $3,000 extra to get the mere $600 permit. Ridiculous! GC is making some calls and trying to line up the demo for Friday finally.

Good grief the useless government bureaucrats are really entrenched in your city. You folks should clean house on some of them.

Here is our fee schedule:

Building Permit Fee $25.00 minimum

Fee for building a new building, additions, garages, mobile homes, modular homes: $.06 per square foot with the minimum fee being $25.00

Fee for building renovation or remodeling, etc. $4.00 per thousand of estimated cost, minimum fee of $25.00

Looking forward to pictures of your project.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

The permit fee is $12.00 per $1,000 of estimated cost. In our case it's $49,800 for the cost so $598 for the permit. In order to get the permit the $%#^'s required a certified plot plan ($1,000) and all drawing stamped ($2,000). We're looking at ~7% of the cost of the project just to get the permit. Nuts!

The GC is going to give us a day to start this afternoon sometime. He said it will be Friday or Monday. I'll try to get some nice 'before' pictures and post them soon. The electrician was out over the week-end and disconnected the power to the old garage.

I accepted the GC's bid back on April 17th, 2012. I would have never guessed it would take 3 months to start the job. Let's hope his estimate of 6-8 weeks from finish is accurate. This looks to be a 6 month ordeal from start to finish.

Expand your moderator at work

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I'm waiting for a final draft of the drawings but the Structural Engineer turned the foundation into Fort Knox. The original footings were 36" x 12" and the new ones are 96" x 18". It was a single layer of rebar and now it's a double layer of rebar in each wall. This garage is being so over built it's nuts. After it's done the safest place in the house will be the garage. LOL

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

I don't understand. Most jurisdictions require an engineer to seal all drawings.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

I'm waiting for a final draft of the drawings but the Structural Engineer turned the foundation into Fort Knox. The original footings were 36" x 12" and the new ones are 96" x 18". It was a single layer of rebar and now it's a double layer of rebar in each wall. This garage is being so over built it's nuts. After it's done the safest place in the house will be the garage. LOL

Wow, that is unreal, an 8' wide footing .... for a residence, a garage at that!
Either the soil you're bearing on is equivalent to landfill material or the engineer is a novice. As the ole saying goes, when in doubt be stout.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

From my reading its an 8 foot deep footing, 18" wide, that will get below the frost line just about anywhere

Engineered stamped plans is normal, I have always had to submit stamped plans, its to make sure someone whom is a certified professional engineer has reviewed the plans to meet building codes

Now your breaking ground, let the cost over runs begin!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Just got a call from the GC. The foundation was budgeted for $14,000 and the quote the GC got on the new foundation was $35,000. Needless to say he wasn't going to eat the difference and knew I wasn't so he questioned it. The structural engineer misunderstood the job. He thought we were pulling down the existing foundation when all we're doing is added to it. The difference is 27' wide vs. 11' wide. His foundation was slated to hold 27' worth of earth and all it needed to do is hold 11' of earth. The structural engineer is redoing it and will have new drawings stamped by Monday. Another week delay. The GC also said they are going to build the new foundation and fill it before they demo the existing garage just to be safe so it won't be demo'ed for 2-3 weeks. Though I'll lose use of the garage much sooner because they need to dig the footings in front of it since it's being enlarged from 20' to 28' deep. Lucky for me the city doesn't care about the foundation as long as it's stamped so we should be good to go once the engineer gets on the same page.

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
reply to guppy_fish

I doubt the the footing is oriented that way, the elevation of the footing can raised or lowered to whatever depth required to be below the frost line. If the OP is referring to the stem wall that sits on top of the footing then I can buy that.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to guppy_fish

in this case the engineer had two sets of plans, the unstamped lite version and the stamped ones.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
reply to Draiman

Like everything, you have to shop around and know the details of what your price includes!

Typically I've paid $2-300 for the stamp on house plans, but calling around got prices similar to what the OP got zing-botted

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

but if an engineer presents the plans in the first place, they should not need modification to get stamped.

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC

said by AVD:

but if an engineer presents the plans in the first place, they should not need modification to get stamped.

+1
--

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
reply to AVD

Its an option from my experience ( stamp ) and extra cost as it's never the engineer that makes the plans but a drafts person. A firm may only have one PE, but 10 people doing the plans