join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

Click for full size
Click for full size
They installed the fire doors, cut out the 2x6's for a wall switch by the back door, and installed the 2x8 ceiling joists in the loft yesterday. I didn't take a picture of the ceiling joists yet but I'll get some this week-end and post them Monday.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to Draiman

No electrical outlets in your garage...?

I put them every 8 feet at +48" in ours. Sure makes it a lot easier when you want to do something in the garage.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by John Galt:

No electrical outlets in your garage...?

I put them every 8 feet at +48" in ours. Sure makes it a lot easier when you want to do something in the garage.

Not until the electrician comes October 1st and 2nd.

On the first page of the thread in the PDF plans item E-101 is the electrical plan.
»Re: Garage addition

I actually added some stuff to that plan since like 4 additional lights in the garage on the ceiling and 2 lights in the loft hooked to the 2 lights on the stairs. In the area right behind the rear Lally column will be a 60 amp sub-panel that serves the entire garage.

Edit: Attached the narrative of the work to be done October 1st and 2nd.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
I did 90% of the insulation over the week-end. They started the electrical yesterday and will finish up today. Hopefully we'll have the inspector in tomorrow for the electrical then have the drywall finished up Friday. Next week they'll do the garage doors and asphalt hopefully so we can finish this project up.
--

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I hope you waited until the electrician was done before you started throwing up insulation. Why did they drywall before the electrical was done? It would be a shame to build this nice new garage and not install any receptacles on that whole wall. It kind of seems like they are doing things out of order.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Yeah, I thought the order was carpenter, electrician/plumber/tin-knocker (who goes in what order depends on who gets in first to take the good spots), inspector, insulation, drywall.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Draiman

Building inspector said they have no order. Typically people will do framing, electrical, insulation, then drywall but by no means is that required as long as they can do their job. Everything is going in the order in which all parties who have a vested interest in this project want it to go.

Insulation gets done when *I* have time regardless of what else is happening. The inspector said that's fine and it's my $70,000 so I do it when *I* want.

They installed electrical on the drywall YESTERDAY and also installed electrical as needed where there is insulation YESTERDAY.

**That concludes today's off-topic sidebar chat. Thanks for playing!**
»Re: Garage addition

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the pictures!
--

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Why did they drywall before the electrical was done?

That might be the wall to the hallway and perhaps is still accessible from the other side ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!
Expand your moderator at work

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to leibold

Re: Garage addition

said by leibold:

said by nunya:

Why did they drywall before the electrical was done?

That might be the wall to the hallway and perhaps is still accessible from the other side ?

Yup as shown is almost a dozen posted pictures, various plan, etc. in the thread. That's why it's amusing that some un-named person jumped in at the end without reading and posted what they did.
--

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

I'm just a bit surprised, in a good way, that the inspector was ok with the insulation going in before the electrical. Usually, but this guy is being more flexible, they want a totally unobstructed view of all the parts and here it's possible that some of the wire (and fasteners) may be obscured or covered. But what counts is what he wants!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by garys_2k:

I'm just a bit surprised, in a good way, that the inspector was ok with the insulation going in before the electrical. Usually, but this guy is being more flexible, they want a totally unobstructed view of all the parts and here it's possible that some of the wire (and fasteners) may be obscured or covered. But what counts is what he wants!

Exactly right. You do what the inspector wants. The electrician commented on 2 other things that might be issues but he didn't see any issues with doing his work around insulation and the drywall is open so no issues there. Massachusetts is pretty strict on electrical he said similar to New York. Lots of things he has to do here that he doesn't do in the other states he works in. The electrician and I both meet at town hall yesterday to get the permit. We talked to the inspector together and everyone is on the same page. We'll see when he inspects it tomorrow provided they finish today as planned.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I would charge extra to work around fiberglass vs. clean work.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by AVD:

I would charge extra to work around fiberglass vs. clean work.

I could see and understand that. I also know cash is king and they get paid cash so they didn't even say a word when they seen the insulation except the boss said "Work around it". They had a rookie with them teaching him the ropes so guess who got the insulation work? The other 2 guys were happy to see insulation they told me. Even without that new ceiling insulation they would have had to go through old insulation anyways to get the sub-panel wire from the house to the garage. That was nasty work and couldn't be avoided. The new insulation is pretty easy to work all things considered. They are good guys and I'm throwing them some bonus inside electrical work and a possible 100 to 200 amp upgrade. Had they tried to charge more for the original job I'd have given the new work to someone else. I treat my contractors very well. I provided them with pizza/wings and anything they wanted for drinks all day yesterday too. I even gave one of the guys my old 12,000-14,000 BTU wall a/c unit free that was in the wall since he wanted it. The same guy wants all my left over insulation as well so that's his when I'm done with it.
--

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the pictures!

How about some pictures of the electrical work?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Here's a picture of the electrical from last night. One guy was here yesterday to finish up the rough electrical. He was told it should be like 5 hours of work so he arrived at noon but he didn't finish until about 8 pm last night. We made sure he got a grilled steak burger when we ate dinner.

Edit: Inspector will be out to sign-off on the rough electrical around 10 am today.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

The rough electrical has been signed off. I can finish up the last of my insulation work then have it closed up and finished. The inspector will be back after that for the final inspection.
--

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL
reply to Draiman

So I don't remember seeing any mention pictures of HVAC for the upstairs space? I could of missed it since I only look at the pictures.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by bryank:

So I don't remember seeing any mention pictures of HVAC for the upstairs space? I could of missed it since I only look at the pictures.

No HVAC being installed in the next 3-5 years. There's no drywall, insulation, or electrical going in upstairs either until later. It's an unfinished storage room now that has potential to become general living area at a later point. As soon as the concrete is past the 28 initial cure phase and the project is done the upstairs will be loaded to the gills with boxes from the basement. In directly that will give us a ton of conditioned space in the basement to use once again.
--

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

It looks very nice.

Did the electrician put in a ceiling outlet for a door opener?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

said by garys_2k:

It looks very nice.

You can see one of them in the picture he posted at 07:40 today.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

Thanks, I missed it.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

It looks very nice.

Yea there is an outlet on both sides for the openers. I also had 1 extra outlet added to the ceiling for general use for a total of 3 outlets on the ceiling. There is 4 lights on the ceiling and 2 heat detectors as well. For outlet's in the garage walls there is 2 on the left, 2 on the right, and 3 in the back. There is 2 lights in the hall, 2 lights over the stairs, and 2 lights upstairs. There is 3 outlets in the hallway and 1 outlet upstairs. That's a 60 amp sub-panel in the back feed by 6/3 copper. There is 3 lights on the outside in the front, 3 lights on the outside on the back, and 1 side light plus 1 outside outlet as well.

I'll try to get a full set of pictures tonight before it gets dark.

FYI: The main guy doing the work called himself a 'perfectionist'. He was putting a level on the pvc feeder in the basement for the 6/3 wire. I have no issues with great work it was just odd he was doing it so precise for electrical.

More on the basement sub-panel 6/3 wire. I guess by code they need to have a box where it converts the wire type to feed it into PVC. I guess they need a different type of 6/3 to travel in the PVC to the panel. Don't hold me to this though. I was just watching and listening on Monday. Hopefully the electrician's here know what I'm talking about or more pictures at a later time will help.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
I didn't get a chance to take any pictures besides these yet. That's the PVC conduit they ran where the 6/3 copper wire will hook to the panel in the basement and the junction box where they need to splice different types of wires for some reason.
--

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

Probably splicing from NMC ("Romex") to THWN conductors, that would need to be in a box.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by garys_2k:

Probably splicing from NMC ("Romex") to THWN conductors, that would need to be in a box.

That rings a bell on what they were talking about. I think that's exactly what they are going to do. They'll be out Monday to finish up so we'll see.
--

brodgers

join:2006-03-20
Gillett, WI
reply to Draiman

Are both open knockouts going to be used? If not, one should be plugged to stay code compliant.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by brodgers:

Are both open knockouts going to be used? If not, one should be plugged to stay code compliant.

They left a plug sitting on the shelf below the box to install when they finish up. The inspector and the electrician follow the code to the letter. The electrician actually added a few things to the job at no cost just because he knew the inspector would want it. An example is the electrician is putting a single outlet upstairs on the final because he said the inspector would want that. Otherwise if you did anything upstairs you'd need an extension cord and that's unsafe. On the rough inspection yesterday the inspector left a note that said "You need (1) outlet upstairs for final inspection". It's scary how well the electrician knows what the inspectors want before they say anything.
--

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
said by Draiman:

FYI: The main guy doing the work called himself a 'perfectionist'. He was putting a level on the pvc feeder in the basement for the 6/3 wire. I have no issues with great work it was just odd he was doing it so precise for electrical.

Yeah good electricians will use a level to true their conduit. On the other hand - trust me - the work in the photo is very far from perfection.

A splice must be made in a splice box; often called junction box.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Draiman

...And that ends the electrical pictures. That's also why I didn't rush to post detailed electrical pictures and only posted some really generic pictures of the electrical. As soon as the drywall is in and the electrical is finish I'll post more pictures. Hopefully that will avoid the critics who think they can figure something out given 40% of a picture over the internet with a picture! They are damn amusing though.

I think this is the 4TH time I've posted this.

said by Draiman:

said by Draiman:

Going forward I'm just going to stick to pictures so this will be more of a blog. Feel free to IM questions/opinions. If you see a code violation feel free to point it out.

Just needed to re-post this since it seems to have gotten lost along the way.

Mods: Feel free to lock the thread up if it continues.

--