Queens, NY

3 recommendations

whizkid3 to Draiman

MVM

to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

Click for full size
said by Draiman:

...And that ends the electrical pictures. That's also why I didn't rush to post detailed electrical pictures and only posted some really generic pictures of the electrical.

No, the reason you did not is because apparently you can not handle constructive criticism of your project and the contractors. I barely commented about the workmanship and really had to rein myself in. This was because, after reading this thread as it has been going along, I can see the snide & rude attitude you have been routinely doling out to anyone who has the audacity to say anything even slightly negative, or question how something is being done; despite that their goal is only to help you. Apparently, you don't have a handle on what the definition of a 'troll' is. I hope you are not calling me one.
said by Draiman:

As soon as the drywall is in and the electrical is finish I'll post more pictures. Hopefully that will avoid the critics who think they can figure something out given 40% of a picture over the internet with a picture!

Can I figure something out with the picture you posted? Of course I can. I am not an 'arm-chair' critic; I have been a professional in the electrical construction business for close to 30 years. I am paid to inspect and judge electrical workmanship routinely. In a four foot section of conduit, the contractor used 3 couplings; and cut a section of molding off of the wall. Honestly, I have never seen such shoddy workmanship by a contractor on a section of PVC conduit in my life. It is pathetic and it looks pathetic. Its also quite evident, judging by the 'colors' of the PVC piping, that the guy just pulled some bits and pieces of whatever he had leftover from other projects, and cobbled them together, rather than provide new materials installed in a correct fashion. Look again for yourself. I have no idea on how he used a level on that. His level may be broken.

Constructive criticism follows: The PVC conduit could have easily been a straight section Starting just below the molding, and then proceeding the the right between the two pipes. If needed, a small offset bend could have been used. One strap between the LB and the piping. I would not have done it this way, but suffice to say I don't know the extent of the field conditions from end-to-end from this photo. That still does not make the pathetic workmanship a substitute. As I said, the contractor could have done a better job and supplied the project with new materials, rather than short pieces left over from another job.

You wanted to hear about code violations. I can almost guarantee that between the source load center in the photo and the conduit, there is at least one. The wiring is likely not properly supported and secured. I have to wonder what type of wiring it is as well. If you are really interested in finding out what code violations you have, you could post a better photo of this space and any other electrical work you have. My guess is that there are quite a few. I am willing to help you out with that if you get some thicker skin and post some additional electrical photos taken closer than 40' away. As to the contractor knowing the inspector wanted a receptacle 'upstairs', that is because they spoke with each other after the workday. Take your choice. Its very typical they are: a) working together daily, b) speaking on the telephone, c) drinking beer together after work, d) related. Its also quite possible, as it is in many jurisdictions, that the electrical contractor pays the inspector directly and has his choice of whom he hires. These guys tend to be buddies.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

2 edits

Draiman

TL:DR - Sit back, relax, and enjoy the pictures. No further responses will be given or even read on that subject. I feel like a broken record since a few people can't read or comprehend well yet they follow the thread somehow. It just confuses the #%$^ out of me how that happens.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

1 recommendation

whizkid3

MVM

said by Draiman:

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the pictures. Already inspected. No further responses will be given or even read on that subject.

Inspections don't prevent electrical fires. The end product - good workmanship and code-compliance do.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

The other thing that comes into question with insulating the garage is fire. I think I'd need flame-resistant faced insulation for that application.

Question: Anyone know about that?
Draiman

Draiman

Garage doors scheduled to be installed on Tuesday between 8 am and noon.
Draiman

4 edits

Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Project Recap: (To be removed and re-posted for the entire project next week when final pictures are taken)
Draiman

2 edits

Draiman

Next week the final pictures for the project should be ready to post. I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures as the next round of pictures will mark the end of this thread. I appreciate the advice from everyone when I asked for it. If anyone wants any of the pictures contained in this thread or any additional pictures feel free to ask and I'll provide them via email. If anyone wants to follow the ongoing work after the project is done like the hallway insulation, garage insulation, upstairs drywall, etc. just let me know and I'll either start a new thread or provide email updates.

**Special thanks to: natedj, AVD, Ken, & Jack_in_VA for going above and beyond in helping me with the project.**

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

2 recommendations

AVD to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

Its also quite possible, as it is in many jurisdictions, that the electrical contractor pays the inspector directly and has his choice of whom he hires. These guys tend to be buddies.

I don't think this is like NYC's controlled inspections system, although this would explain a lot.

also: looking at »/r0 ··· ary8.jpg one wonders if our criticism of the original engineering was off base.
And in reference to other comments in the thread,: as far as AHJ inspections go, they protect the Town, not the homeowner. Remember that.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

2 edits

Draiman

I paid the inspectors for everything. The city deals with me for cash and the contractors for their license, insurance, description of work, etc. I've called the city for every inspection as required. I'm sure the contractor's could have handled that stuff but didn't because I prefer to manage that myself. The inspector's haven't even meet any of the contractor's at all. I've got a picture of every inspection via webcam or I was there personally. I kept the inspector's and contractor's at arms length by design.

Tons of other little things happen behind the scenes and I don't go into all the details here. Stuff like the electrician drove up to the supply house and bought all the supplies on day 1. He was nice enough to give me a copy of the invoice because I was curious. All the supplies were brand new for the job. This stuff shouldn't matter and there's really no need to bring it up under normal circumstances though. The inspection situation falls into the same category.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to stevek1949

MVM

to stevek1949
said by stevek1949:

said by Ken:

said by Draiman:

Question: Would I use faced or unfaced? If faced should it be facing the garage?

I would use faced because you will need a vapor barrier when it is heated, until then the vapor barrier isn't doing much though. Yes it should be facing the garage.

I thought that the vapor barrier always goes on the warm side, which would mean the craft paper goes to the house.

Am I wrong?

From what I understand the wall between the house and garage is the original wall and the OP won't be insulating that as presumably it already is insulated. I was talking about the other 3 walls.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Ken:

From what I understand the wall between the house and garage is the original wall and the OP won't be insulating that as presumably it already is insulated. I was talking about the other 3 walls.

There is really only 1 wall with any substance to the garage to insulate. That's the right wall with 2 windows. The front would need a little insulation as well and the small part in the back. The left side is drywall on the garage side. That's hallway insulation. The original garage wall is already dry-walled and insulated. That's the green wall in the pictures. Once the hallway is insulated with facing toward the house that takes care of all the conditioned space. From what Ken is saying the remaining faced insulation in the garage should have the facing pointing to the Lally columns (inward). That way if heat leaks into that area or we heat it eventually it's all set. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.
Draiman

4 edits

Draiman to AVD

to AVD
said by AVD:

also: looking at »/r0 ··· ary8.jpg one wonders if our criticism of the original engineering was off base.

I was on my knees to get that picture. I think I snapped about 20-30 pictures from various heights, angles, etc. before I got one that looked as deceptive to show the big contrast of before and after as I wanted. The after picture I got was a lot closer and used a different angle and height to highlight the new land. It took a ton of work to get those 2 pictures to look like that so it's good to see all the hard work paid off.

Most of the pictures I released were hand picked from dozens to show the work but also to reduce the questions by picking pictures without those types of items. That was for family, friends, and the thread here. Again lots of details weren't covered or shown. Some were even Photoshop'ed out. Hence why it was asked to refrain from questions/comments/opinions as much as possible. The idea was to give an ongoing overview of the project to everyone not drill down into the details unless absolutely required. Those who wanted more details/pictures got them via email. Overall the thread went pretty well once I adopted that method for public pictures. As of right now I have taken 1,213 pictures of this project just to give you an idea. I'm expecting to end around 1,500 pictures next week-end when it's done. Of that there is 134 pictures I selected to share with people or about 10% of the pictures. Of that 10% about 25% or 32-34 of those had minor Photoshop work like removing company names or items that might have raised unwanted questions.

A webcam was setup to monitor the project as well. The contractor wasn't and still hasn't been told there's a webcam. Some of the stuff the guys do when they don't think anyone is watching is great. The select few who had access to the webcam enjoyed it a lot as did I. I'd highly recommend a webcam for any large projects! I'm glad someone suggested I get one for the project.

wa2ibm
Premium Member
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA

wa2ibm to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
I have been watching your project from early on and have really enjoyed both the photos and your descriptions. I think you have a really great addition to your home.

I can't tell from the last set of photos, so you might have already thought of this. I know the electrician installed one outlet upstairs, but have you made accommodations for any future electrical requirements upstairs?

If'n it were me, I'd include a conduit from the garage panel up into the wall of the upstairs area so more circuits could be pulled later, as required. Alternatively, some additional Romex runs from the garage panel, stubbed off upstairs for later use.

Great work - hope you enjoy your addition.
Expand your moderator at work

really
@listmail.net

really to Anon

Anon

to Anon

Guidelines? It's a forum, someone posts and everyone else replies, just because someone starts a thread they don't get to say what happens in it or who gets to post in it, forums don't work that way.

I'm not pissing and moaning and anons opinions are allowed just as yours are, you have yourself a good day.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to Draiman

to Draiman
Criticism whether good or bad is great when requested. It really doesn't matter if it's good or bad if someone doesn't want it to start with. Knowing they didn't want it there's no shock when given whether good or bad and the OP ignores it. You did what they asked not to do so you got what you had coming to you for it. Don't waste your time giving people stuff they don't want and they won't brush you off like you deserve.
Expand your moderator at work

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

1 recommendation

grobinette to Draiman

MVM,

to Draiman

It is just a garage project - keep it on topic.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
I'm actually quite impressed with how everything is coming out and in addition how fast the project has progressed! Based on past experience I would have expected it to take much longer.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to wa2ibm

to wa2ibm
said by wa2ibm:

I have been watching your project from early on and have really enjoyed both the photos and your descriptions. I think you have a really great addition to your home.

I can't tell from the last set of photos, so you might have already thought of this. I know the electrician installed one outlet upstairs, but have you made accommodations for any future electrical requirements upstairs?

If'n it were me, I'd include a conduit from the garage panel up into the wall of the upstairs area so more circuits could be pulled later, as required. Alternatively, some additional Romex runs from the garage panel, stubbed off upstairs for later use.

Great work - hope you enjoy your addition.

There was no thoughts of future electrical upstairs yet. That's a good idea to put in a conduit. When the electrician's return to finish up I'll ask about it. Thanks!
Draiman

Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's some new pictures. I pulled the old gate apart and completely rebuilt the gate on Saturday. I also installed insulation in the stairs closet. They will be installing type x drywall in the stairs closet this week.

To do:
Type x drywall under stairs in closet
Garage doors w/openers
Electrical
Asphalt (drive-way)
Final electrical inspection
Final overall inspection
Draiman

Draiman

To Do - Update:
Type x drywall under stairs in closet confirmed for today.
Garage doors w/openers confirmed for tomorrow.
Electrical tentative for Thursday.
Final electrical inspection tentative for Friday.
Final overall inspection tentative for next Monday.
Asphalt tentative for the week of October 22th.