share rss forum feed

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

Looking better with every set of pics you post.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Draiman

Yea it's starting to look like a garage finally. The wife wants to start using it as soon as we get the electrical finished. It will be around day 23-24 on the slab this week-end so I think that's good enough to start using it right?
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to Draiman

All-though ive never worked with pink or red mesh tape.
I would however insist on actual metal corner beed on all outside corners especially the up and downs. It is much easier to float and looks way nicer when complete and more durable when you hit it with a piece of furniture.

here is what it looks like

»www.simsupply.com/popup.aspx?src···5_1_.jpg
--
† Koma †
If YOu Don't Think It's Possible!! It's Acually A Reality!!The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay!!
Ya Don't Know The signal Till Ya Ride It!!
Voice Break's There's Trouble!!!!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

They aren't doing any finish work in the scope of the project. I'll add those as needed when I finish the drywall. Not sure if I'll use the composite/vinyl or metal corner beads yet though.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Draiman

The metal ones are the only way to go!

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

They aren't doing any finish work in the scope of the project. I'll add those as needed when I finish the drywall. Not sure if I'll use the composite/vinyl or metal corner beads yet though.

My advice then would to at least get one float on all that mesh tape; or it will fall off the wall. And i notice just now they also have it applied in the angles i would also insist on paper tape.

All though since your not going to finish it right away paper tape on all of it would be ideal. As the mesh tape requires atleast one float of fast-setting drywall compound.
--
† Koma †
If YOu Don't Think It's Possible!! It's Acually A Reality!!The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay!!
Ya Don't Know The signal Till Ya Ride It!!
Voice Break's There's Trouble!!!!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

That pink tape is special 2 hour fire rated stuff to appease the building inspector. Once the fire barrier is signed off I'll paint it with Zinsser odorless primer then I'll toss up some joint compound but doing anything that touches the fire tape before inspection could present a problem. The fire tape is treated with silicone so nothing will stick to it until you add a primer to it. They recommend Zinsser odorless primer so I'll apply a coat of that before doing the mud or painting.
--

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
North Richland Hills, TX

oh i see down here all we do is 5/8 rock and tape it.

to make 2 hour firewall double layer 5/8 with staggerd joints and tape.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
They finished up most of the electrical work Friday. They will be coming back Thursday to do the trench work for the post lights. Next week we'll have the asphalt work done which will wrap up the work by others on the project. I purchased 15 rolls of 2x4 faced insulation last week-end and I'll pick up 10-12 2x6 rolls of faced insulation this week-end. As I feel like dealing with insulation I'll get the garage walls and hallway insulated. I think I'll have some strapping delivered to install upstairs sometime next month as well.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2

Does the metal pole come off when they are done?

Why did they install the rails on the 2nd floor?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Rob:

Does the metal pole come off when they are done?

Why did they install the rails on the 2nd floor?

No they can't remove load bearing supports from the structure. (metal pole aka Lally column)

What rails are you talking about? The stair rails? Those are required by code so someone doesn't fall off.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL

I thought the beam above would be your load bearing beam.

No, the rails on the sides upstairs.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by Rob:

I thought the beam above would be your load bearing beam.

No, the rails on the sides upstairs.

The beam doesn't hold itself up unfortunetly. A single beam needs supports to function. In order to eliminate the supports you would need multiple beams to spread the load. That involved about $2,000 extra dollars.

Those aren't rails they are walls called kneewalls and drywall goes there. By ANSI code for space to be added to your general living area it needs to be 5' high minimum so they install a kneewall at 5' as seen in the picture.
»blog.energysmartohio.com/blog/bi···l-Attics
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I installed foam vents on half the garage this week-end. I also started filling in the sub-flooring with wood filler. I'm trying to get the sub-floor as air tight as possible before I toss down a coat of primer/sealer for a vapor barrier. I installed some molding around the 2 fire doors in the garage as well last week-end.

I'll get the rest of the foam vents installed this week-end. After that I'll start installing the strapping and insulation.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's a few new pictures. I installed the bi-fold closet door last night. You can see some of the foam vents between the rafters as well. The upstairs has been cleaned. The floor is ready for patching and priming now. After that I'll install the strapping followed by insulation.
--

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR
reply to Draiman

I love the pics of your garage. I remember mine looking like that before I hid the walls behind junk I never use

What are you going to use the upstairs for?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by sparks:

I love the pics of your garage. I remember mine looking like that before I hid the walls behind junk I never use

What are you going to use the upstairs for?

No plans for the upstairs yet. It just made sense to add the room while we were doing the garage.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Thursday the electrician finished the trench work. Friday the electrical inspector signed off and they did the asphalt work.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to Draiman

Looks Great!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Thanks TA63.

Going forward it's going to be a slow but steady process for me to finish the garage. Due to Hurricane Sandy I didn't get too much done but the good news is there is no rush. I did the drywall repair and patch work on the hallway wall and also started on insulating the hallway this week-end.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I just ordered a 21 degree framing nailer so I can install the strapping. I'm going to pick up some 10d nails for the framing nailer this week-end. Hopefully I can start installing the strapping 2 weeks from now. After a lot of searching I managed to find a great deal in case anyone else needs a 21 degree framing nailer + palm nailer for $99.88 shipped.
»www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto···pXm9gYyA
--

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA
reply to Draiman

Xcal, I'm quite jealous! I wish my 2-car garage had separate doors instead of the jumbo single.

My only question: Are you going to treat the new stairs on the side with some stain/waterseal? If so, what?
--
You may say I'm a Dreamer.... But I'm not the only one.....

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by rlt2562:

Xcal, I'm quite jealous! I wish my 2-car garage had separate doors instead of the jumbo single.

My only question: Are you going to treat the new stairs on the side with some stain/waterseal? If so, what?

I'll water seal the new deck next year.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I finished patching all the nail holes and cracks in the sub-floor last week and painted it this week-end. The guys did their last task which was finishing the drywall in the garage on Friday. I had pictures all ready to post but left the thumb drive with them at home so I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I'll be building a half wall for the stairs (guard) this week then the building inspector said he'll sign the final on the garage.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's the sub-floor pictures. It took me 10 hours to fill everything and 7 hours to paint it. A very painful venture but hopefully well worth the investment. Cost was $16 for wood filler, $6 for putty knife, and $50 for the primer/sealer for a grand total of ~$72 for this project.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

What did you use to prime the OSB boards?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

said by alkizmo:

What did you use to prime the OSB boards?

Oil based primer/sealer rated as a vapor barrier. I called Advantech about it to be safe and they said it was an approved paint to use and wouldn't void the warranty on the sub-floor.
»www.homedepot.com/Paint-Primers/···Id=10053
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
The half wall materials were delivered today. I'm planning to make a 4' high by 8' long half wall between the knee wall and the end of the stairs for a stair guard. I'll be using 2x4 to frame the half wall and 1/2" gypsum to cover it. I picked up a 1x6 clear pine board to go on top which will make the top into a 6" wide shelf. I picked up some 4" 1/2 lag bolts to help reinforce the bottom plate in addition to toe nailing the bottom plate. I'm planning to add in some blocking as well so the stairs railing can attach to the half wall at the top very solid.

Did I miss anything or anything else I can do to improve the strength of the half wall?

Edit: I think I'm going to scrap installing lag screws in favor of using structural screws.
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···3OW9gYyA
--

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

Gang up the studs on the end of the existing knee wall to tie the new half wall into.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

I don't remember if you have a double or single joist under that wall. If you can figure out that it is definitely a single then this is what I would do. Build the wall like normal but stop the bottom plate and studs 3.5 inches short of where you really want the framed wall to end. The top plate will extend the full length but will have to go on last. You are going to use a good quality straight 4x4 (oak or some other hardwood, not PT pine) to fill out the remaining 3.5 inches. Cut a small hole in the subfloor for the 4x4 to go down. The rim joist will be partially blocking that 3.5 by 3.5 footprint of the 4x4 so only cut where the rim joist isn't. Then notch the 4x4 so part of it will drop down next to the rim joist. Then while standing on the stairs you can drill a couple holes through the rim joist and into the 4x4. Use lag bolts that are only threaded half way, you don't want threads in the rim joist otherwise it won't suck the 4x4 tight to the rim joist. Make sure to drill a countersink so the head of the lag will sit flush and not stick out. That's somewhat confusing so I made a pic real quick in SketchUp.